Thread: Baleroc - Healer Optimal Spells?

Baleroc - Healer Optimal Spells?

The healers in our raid are having a hard time building stacks high enough. Is there an optimal spell/mixture of spells for each class when looking at mana/healing required/cast time?

And then for decimation blade, it's pretty much just the 3 second nuke because everyone has enough haste to get them cast between blades?
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

What's your specific setup/comp and how do you handle the Shards of Torment? Normal difficulty I would assume?
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

With the latest set of nerfs to hit Firelands, some techniques of forcibly getting higher stacks as quickly as possible are less game breaking since the first blad selection can no longer be Decimation Blade. Because Decimation Blade could be used first this would often force you to try and generate as many stacks as possible as quickly as possible. Though it is still generally a good idea to build up these stacks as fast as possible. Having a DPS which can take the entire shard alone such as a Shadow Priest with the Tol Barad resist trinket,Mirror of Broken Images, makes building up stacks considerably easier as the stacks you generate are porportional to the stacks of torment the target has. Doing this on the first crystal as well as blowing Heroism/Bloodlust/Time Warp and spamming your fastest casts will result in significantly higher stacks of Vital Spark early on (you can break 100 stacks relatively easily if you have a direct heal that will be GCD capped during the haste buff). Not every raid has the luxury of a Shadow Priest with this trinket however. Any DPS however could pick up this trinket to extend the amount of time they can take Torment allowing the healers to generate more stacks.

As a general guideline for cooldowns and their usefulness in dealing with Torment...

These result in damage reduction and are best:
    Dispersion (Self): 90% / 6 Seconds
    Shield Wall (Self): 40% (60% if glyphed) / 12 Seconds (10% additional for switching to Defensive Stance)
    Pain Suppression (External): 40% / 8 Seconds
    Mirror of Broken Images (Self): 31% / 10 Seconds (20% base to 45% with buff = 31% damage reduction beyond base value gained)
    Safeguard (External): 30% / 6 Seconds (extremely risky, tank could become Tormented, unkwown interaction with shard target)
    Power Word: Barrier (External): 25% / 10 Seconds
    Barkskin (Self): 20% / 12 Seconds
    Divine Guardian (External): 20% / 6 Seconds
    Aura Mastery (External): 19% / 6 Seconds (20% base to 35% with buff = 19% damage reduction beyond base value gained)
    Spirit Link (External): 10% / 6 Seconds (due to the health redistribution mechanic this is significantly stronger than just the reduction but you can't actually define what that value is)

*Assuming you have a Shadow Resistence buff from a Priest, Shaman Totem, or Paladin, you have a base Shadow Damage reduction of 20%, this is what the 20% base value is in determine the value of additional resistences gained by cooldowns such as Aura Mastery.

Anyone that can take more stacks of Torment directly makes it easier for healers to get more stacks of Vital Spark.

These result in less reliable results which generally have a limit to their total value:

Guardian Spirit (External): 50% of Health minimum effect, however can only save you from the first tick to kill you
    Anti-Magic Shell (Self): 50% of Heath max, at higher stacks this could be as low as 1 tick
    Hand of Sacrifice (External): 100% of the casting paladin's health
    Anti-Magic Zone (External): 10000 + 2*AP health
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I know that list isn't all inclusive (like I forgot Nether Protection).

Things like Cloak of Shadows, Ice Block, Deterrence, and Divine Shield have no effect.

You can't improve healers gaining stacks of Vital Spark without considering how the DPS is dealing with Torment though because of the tied relationship. The longer DPS can survive taking Torment, the more stacks of Vital Spark healers will get healing them.

Spirit Link Totem (when the Shaman is specced correctly) actually lasts for 8.4 seconds, as your Resto Sham should have the 40% extra duration on his/her totems (just alone for the MTT duration it is worth it ... well it was before the nerf)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quinafoi - thanks. That definately gives us something to think about.

Typically we have 1-2 pallies, 1-2 shammies, 2-3 druids, 0-1 priests. We're running 25n atm, but working on the 25h strat with solo tanking.

So: 1 Tank, 6 Heals (2 teams of with the shard team splitting 1 melee, 1 range, 1 floating), 18 DPS.

I guess what I was looking for is:

If Healer Spec A is healing torment, they should use spell X as much as possible.
    If Healer Spec A is pumping up a tank for Decimation blade, they should be nuking, and timing it to go off after each swing... They ought to know their nuke spells, not as worried about hat one.

It's that our healers just don't seem to build stacks well enough during the early phase to go hard in the end.

But I see the point... about single-sharding it. That would be some insane stacks with lots of direct heals after 21 stacks of torment.
    Last edited by Loganisis; 08-18-2011 at 04:13 PM.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

For Shaman, Earthshield I believe works on Torment targets and the procs would count for additional direct heals beyond your other direct casts in between.

For Druids, you will generally want to start with Rejuvenation on 3 targets before the shard even starts taking damage to increase the haste of Nourish allowing you a few efficient yet reasonable speed casts at the start of the Shard. Regrowth used to proc Nature's Grace increased haste at the end. Regrowth is the fastest direct heal you can use to stack up fast however will burn through mana quickly. You can get away with being inefficient at the start if you have a single DPS take the full shard and pop Time Warp to maximize stacks right from the start and then Innervate and Potion and be more sensible with mana for the remainder of the encounter.

I don't know much about single tanking it or heroic in general however if having enough stacks is a problem you could try changing your healing and how you rotate them.

In 10 man normal we use two healers alternating and one healer just massing stacks indefinately until it's needed to heal the tank. Now I don't know if that method could be adapted well to 25 man but it might look something like this.

Healer Group A (2 healers), starts on tanks.
    Healer Group B (2 healers), starts on shards (one on ranged and one on melee).
    Healer Groups A and B swap roles every set of shards.
    Healer Group C (2 healers), masses stacks of vital spark. They basically stay on the shards until Decimation Blade and only heal for Decimation Blade.

Again I don't have experience managing healers for 25 man or how using a single tank strategy works in combination with this. However as a result of healing this way in 10 man I'd usually way more stacks of Vital Spark than the other healers and be able to land massive heals on the tank when needed but would actually be last place on the healing meter because of the concept that I'd only heal the tank when needed and otherwise I just keep building more and more stacks for when I am needed.

This working is reliant on two factors.

1. Two healers is sufficient to keep the tank alive normally.
    2. One healer per shard is sufficient to keep DPS alive normally.

If those two facts are true, then you can have those four healers swaping more frequently to get higher stacks themselves while also having a third set of healers that isn't needed on the tank or the shard to just build up a ton of stacks for when they actually are needed on the tank. If this is viable for you, it will result in all of your healers having higher stacks simply by the change in method.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 08-18-2011 at 04:50 PM.

Everything is ephasized on the "if" cause I personally don't know if this is viable when applied to 25 man.

Quinafoi - Thank you. This helps a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    The healers in our raid are having a hard time building stacks high enough. Is there an optimal spell/mixture of spells for each class when looking at mana/healing required/cast time?

And then for decimation blade, it's pretty much just the 3 second nuke because everyone has enough haste to get them cast between blades?
    As a shaman, I will usually hit the current target with a riptide just to proc Tidal Waves. I try to time a Greater Healing Wave to land when the the first member reaches 6 stacks. Then I'll drop Riptide on a separate torment victim to refresh my Tidal Waves (and get another couple stacks), and back to my original target with Greater Healing Wave/Healing Surge until the next raid member steps in.