Thread: Heroic Shannox 10 man

Heroic Shannox 10 man

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/6...ses&boss=53691

Those are the logs from our recent shannox attempts. Was wondering if you had any advice for the fight for the classes we use.

Tanks - Warrior/Druid
    Healers - Hpally/Hpally/Priest
    DPS - Spriest/Arcmage/Furywarrior/Frostdk/MMHunter

We never really get very far around 70-60ish percent.

We just started on this last night, hopefully I can expand on this discussion with a few specific questions.

As far as using the Crystal Prison traps go, how much of a split should be done between trapping Riplimb and now trapping Rageface? My brief experience with Riplimb last night on Heroic showed me that the melee buff he gets will ramp up pretty damn quick. Its briefly mentioned on the Learntoraid forums that, with proper kiting by the raid, trapping Rageface shouldn't be needed very often. Any thoughts there?

We had some questions on the Rageface breaker that we couldn't quite figure out in the short time we had last night. Our understanding was that the person performing the crit on Rageface would be his next target for at least 15 seconds, although it seemed like Rageface would still bounce around a bit after performing Face Rage. Working as intended or are we just seeing things?

Is it me or does the Jagged Tear debuff take longer to drop off on Heroic? I know the duration says its the same (30 seconds) but for some reason it feels like its more difficult to get it to reset. Probably just me, but figured I'd ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

Quote Originally Posted by outbackjack View Post
    Its briefly mentioned on the Learntoraid forums that, with proper kiting by the raid, trapping Rageface shouldn't be needed very often. Any thoughts there?
    Proper kiting Rageface? Kiting to where? Kiting when? After Face Rage and only then? As long as you get hit by him his stack goes up and having a 10 second break to reposition is awesome for this, if you can't bring a hunter with Deterrence for every other Face Rage it's hard enough to reset his stack on a regular base even with the traps. You need 20 seconds total of not getting hit or the stack just won't reset. In fact trapping Riplimp shouldn't be needed very often (once maybe twice a fight) with proper kiting, maybe you totally mixed something up there.

1) Stack 1
    2) Stack 2
    3) Sprear throw
    4) Heroic Leap + Intervene/Lifegrip/Feral Sprint(s)/Runspeed Potion
    5) slow him
    6) he's at the spear, maintank needs to start moving some seconds after that so Riplimp don't reach his master until both tank stacks are worn off. With a resto druid and only ranged dps you could almost kite him all fight long

The kiting they mentioned (in hindsight maybe thats the wrong term) was basically "trap Rageface, everyone move away a little bit to make sure he has to run to a target and not immediately melee someone as soon as he gets out of the trap"

The stages you listed there make sense, I'll become more active with Leaping and Intervening. I suppose I could just start doing laps around the raid, my healers will love that
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

I'd still "kite"/trap him as often as possible, dying to Face Rage (and standing in traps) is the most likely reason to die in this encounter, every 5% less frenzy buff is useful.

You should position Riplimp about 80y away from the boss, when the spearthrow occurs move towards the raid (making healing you and snaring him easier) so he have to run back to the spear (slowed), another 80y to the boss and even way further if kited properly - giving both tanks enough time to reset their stacks even if they got refreshed seconds before the throw.

You need to keep an attack speed slow up on both dogs at all time. You should be maintaining Thunder Clap on Riplimb and one of your ranged needs to keep one up on Rageface. The easiest thing to do given your MM hunter is probably breaking Face Rage already is to have them use a fox or tallstrider and leave it on Rageface.

You need to use all the Crystal Prison Traps for Rageface. After he is trapped everyone needs to move away from him, quite a long way. Breaking Face Rage and retrapping him without getting him wary or getting hit is quite an art. The hunter should position herself near the crystal prison trap then break Face Rage.

You need to keep Riplimb as far from Shannox as you can without enraging him. I usually mark an 80-yard cross out with raid markers and we keep Shannox and Riplimb on opposite sides of it, rotating around to move Shannox away from traps.

The trick to dropping your stack is that you must not take the application of Jagged Tear that corresponds with the Hurl Spear. You need to be out of melee range of Riplimb when it would be applied. If I may quote from your WoL:

[21:53:59.401] Sait's Combust fades from Riplimb
    [21:54:03.600] Shannox casts Hurl Spear on Riplimb
    [21:54:03.600] Shannox casts Hurl Spear
    [21:54:03.600] Shannox summons Spear of Shannox with Hurl Spear
    [21:54:03.600] Sait afflicted by Jagged Tear (7) from Riplimb
    You must not take this debuff, if you take it there just isn't enough time or space for your stack to drop no matter how good you are at kiting and slowing. If you do this it seems he will follow you a bit further than normal trying to reapply it before going back to the spear, so it has double benefit. When Hurl Spear is about to cast, leap or intervene directly away from Riplimb and run like hell until he turns around.

While he is following you, have your spriest mind flay Riplimb so that as soon as he is vulnerable to slowing one is applied. After that get a real movement slow up ASAP (CoEx, Slow, etc.).

Don't panic if you can't drop your stack every time, but you should never go over 6-7 stacks, and if you do you'll definitely need to Shield Wall. I would probably suggest not using Heroic Leap on the first Hurl Spear because you won't know the exact timing. If you get lucky and your stack drops that's great, but if not with Leap+Intervene you can guarantee the second one will be a drop.
    Last edited by Xodiv; 08-18-2011 at 07:14 PM.

Just out of curiosity, is there any way to do this encounter with only the prot warrior using piercing howl on Riplimb? No slows from any other raid member.

You could, I had thought about doing it that way. We ended up having our Shadow Priest Mindflay Riplimb when the spear was thrown (I would always leap or intervene towards him) so he would have a fairly constant slow on him as he ran back to the spear. After Riplimb picked up the spear I would Hamstring him as he ran past me towards the Shannox tank so I knew there would be some uptime on Hamstring as he was running back to me (to help drop the stacking melee buff off of Riplimb). Worked pretty well on our first kill.

You still have the priest slowing, though. I meant no slows whatsoever.

I'm surprised that actually works with hamstring. Being only 15s... He still will end up running back to you at full speed at some point, yes? Or are you spamming hamstring until the point he gets up to Shannox?

Right, you could do it with Piercing Howl by yourself. I was just describing what worked for us.

The slow did run out before Riplimb got back to me, but it gave me enough time to run away to my spot and have the Feeding Frenzy buff fall off (although there were a few times when the Shannox tank got too close and I just ran out of room to run in my field). I was kinda standing in the middle after Leaping away from Riplimb and clipping him as he ran past me, at which point I would then run back to my own tanking spot.

hamstring.jpg Clicky for image, I got bored over lunch break.

Like I said, it was our first kill. We'll be repeating it this week and hopefully I'll tweak something better or find it to be unnecessary if I can get another slowing effect in there. Your mileage may vary.
    Last edited by Outbackjack; 08-30-2011 at 08:50 AM. Reason: Added image

I've been piercing howling him when he gets to the spear, but that simply is not enough time with him running back to me at full speed. We try to get one of our locks to apply a slow but sometimes he can't get to it.

I think half the problem is the Shannox tank running toward me instead of away from me.

What area are you fighting these guys in?

The depression on the left side just as you pass the portal to Staghelm's area. Shannox tank is at the "south east" side and Riplimb tank (me) is on the "north west" side if you're looking at the map. I'd create pins for you on the Wowhead map if I knew how, sorry.