+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Retribution (lvl 82) single target rotation dead-spot

Retribution (lvl 82) single target rotation dead-spot

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting back into WoW - so logged on with my retribution Pally (lvl 82), looked up single-target rotation, set my key-binds and off I went.

The single-target rotation cited online is usually something like:
    1. Inquisition (when 3 Holy Power exist)
    2. Hammer of Wrath (if below 20% health)
    3. Exorcism (if instant cast)
    4. Templarís Verdict (when 3 Holy exist)
    5. Crusader Strike
    6. Judgement
    7. Holy Wrath
    8. Consecrate
    However I'm trying to understand a 'normal' levelling mob encounter, not a single-target boss encounter (which is what the above rotation provides). I have found my rotation is actually:
    1. Judgement (because I can use it from a long range and then run at the mob)
    2. Crusader Strike
    3. Holy Wrath
    4. Consecration
    5. ...at this point something will probably proc and I can use Exorcism or Templer's Verdict.
    But using Consecration really drains my mana and is not good for levelling - however if I don't use it I have a dead-spot while I wait for Crusader Strike to come off cooldown:
    1. Judgement
    2. Crusader Strike
    3. Holy Wrath
    4. ...dead-spot
    Any help would be great.

Thanks,
    Yacc

First of all, dead spots aren't exactly the end of the world. I hate them, and I know what you mean, but don't worry about it too much. (If you do, you'll have a hard time playing ret anyway - the rotation has a wait at the same location.)
    Don't forget you still have procs to consider (don't use them immediatly, use them to fill in gaps), hammer of Justice can be put in there too, and finally remember that haste reduces the wait.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal
    ...there is no true progression for a casual anymore, just hand outs.

Don't forget that you can open with Avenging Wrath and use Hammer of Wrath from 100% (which will probably deal 40% of the enemy's health).

Thank you Pyrea and Martie - good tip on chucking in Hammer of Justice and using Avenging Wrath to use HoW at 100% HP - cound't see it on the tooltip, is it a talent point feature?

At least I wasn't doing anything massively stupid.

Bare in mind that the boss rotation is meant to do the most dps possible and thereby will try to reduce dead-spots as you called them. Even on bosses ret paladins have them where you simply have nothing proccing and there's just nothing else to do. This has been a major complaint for ret paladins for several patches now. Unfortunately it comes with the spec as of right now.

There are a few things you can do to try to reduce them since in soloing it doesn't matter as much. Firstly use divine protection it's on a short cooldown and will help you solo things anyway. Tossing it out as a filler will help every couple of pulls. Secondly as was already mentioned use hammer of justice. You can also use wings and hammer of wrath on one pull. On the next use zealotry (save the 3 holy power or the DP proc from the last pull). If you do toss down a consecrate be sure to use divine plea, if it's not up don't use consecrate. You can also consider using seal of insight and laying down consecrate if you just want to get rid of dead spots. It'll keep your mana up pretty well even through using consecrate if you're only doing it once every other pull or so. The mobs are probably dying so fast that you aren't getting much benefit of the 5 stacks of seal of truth anyway.
    Last edited by Codemagus; 09-25-2011 at 06:44 AM.

Ive always felt that stopping your swing and casting (glyphed) exorcism is a dps gain vs just swinging away and doing nothing. Its a little harder on mana, but then again I never use Consecration. So unless I have alot of procs happening to where I cant judgement at all, I usually dont have a issue.

Those times you're not swinging you're mixxing Art of War and Divine Purporse Procs plus white damage.

I threw it into Simcraft, and it is DPS increase to hardcast if you have absolutely nothing else to do, about 90dps if you're doing 30K

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    I threw it into Simcraft, and it is DPS increase to hardcast if you have absolutely nothing else to do, about 90dps if you're doing 30K
    Feels like its way more than that. :\ Did you also add in the DoT that comes with having it glyphed?

Yup.

To the op . Do not use Consecrate on normal mobs. Its a Mana hog and even in a 5 min boss fight you not dropping many of them at all, just a filler, and a better than a hard cast Exo even tho it more mana , its instant , and when you do get your 2pc t13 you will find that your "idle" time is almost nothing.

And really you forget that you have "other" abilities that you should be using too on normal mobs , like Hammer of Justice and Rebuke which you should learn to use and perfect your timing on normal mobs. a 6 second stun is a very good thing.

+ Reply to Thread