+ Reply to Thread

Thread: threat issues

threat issues

Hi i have returned as you lot are the BEST at helping with advice. I am limited with my raiding atm due to work and so am relying on the old dailies and rand za/zg to get my items up...... times I do raid a bit but not as much as i used to be able to (this might change soon, but won't be for a bit )..BUT I'm having a lot of issues with threat esp in ZA and am getting a lot of people saying my threat is pants! please please any ideas and suggestions would be great am i missing a trick with reforging geming etc...I thank you in advance

dizz

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...zzitsma/simple

First off fully enchant and gem your Gear: you're missing an enchant on your bracers and an additional socket from Blacksmithing.

Drop Gag order and Blood Craze, both unnecassary in heroics and straight up crap for most raid encounters. Finish off War Academy & Shield Specialization, and fill out Deep wounds.

Drop Glyph of Resonating power, Pick up Glyph of thunder clap or Cleaving or Sunder Armour. Drop Glyph of furious Sundering, it does not affect devastate and you shouldn't be using Sunder as Prot, pick up Berzerker rage.

For the most part you want to be going for unhittable with Shield block active, once this is acheived you can start staking a little bit more stam if the fight has a lot of mitigatable tank damage, or go for passive unhittable if it doesn't. For the most part though you want as much mastery as you can get, followed by parry and dodge, favouring parry slightly. Thus Gemming should look something likethis;

Yellow/Prismatic sockets: Fractured Amberjewels (+40mastery)
    Red: Fine Ember Topazs (+20mastery/+20 Parry)
    Blue: Puissant Dream Emeralds (+20 mastery/+30 Stam)

Reforging is basically all crap stats to Mastery, and then balance Parry and Dodge ratings.

However for the most part threat is about ability usage, could you describe your rotation in detail please?
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 08-15-2011 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Self idiocy

There's quite a few threads around on this topic, so I won't go into war and peace. Remember when you are reading around on the topic, that people have a great tendency to talk about optimising for raiding - you are talking about 5 man content and the considerations are a bit different. For example, you'll probably see people saying to spec out of improved revenge - but in a 5 man setting, where rage income is lower and where multi-target tanking is the order of the day, I'd keep it.

When you talk about having issues in ZA, I wonder if that's with eager dps trying to beat the timer and you aren't controlling the trash pulls very well rather than the bosses? If so, I wonder if you have hotkeyed 'skull' and mark that on the target you want DPS to go for first? On some of the trickier pulls (like the ones on the way to the bear with the dudes that drop the totems) do you get CC on those, or prioritise killing them? A lot of ZA is about technique, which targets you go for first, how you keep on top of the adds etc. Make sure you read up on good aoe tanking rotations.

That said, you look to have quite a lot more hit than expertise, which is probably not quite right and rebalancing that could help you (expertise is worth roughly double hit until you remove dodges). You can probably afford to drop out of blood craze and invest points into war academy + deep wounds (although that means being careful around CC targets).

Cross posted with the above. Let me add that I totally disagree with dropping gag order in heroics. A ranged silence is a huge asset in a 5 man dungeon, I can't see any reason not to take it.

Mainly becuase you can get by fine without it. a normal HT and Spell Reflects will let you keep aggro off a healer at range, other wise you could just have CCed. with the exceptional mobility of a prot warrior you can charge the caster shield bash it and intervene/heroic leap back far enough not to break additional CC. Very little difference from a Bear's Skullbash except we have to manually interup and can pull back faster.

Dn't get me wrong, it's a nice talent to have, but it's not neccasary.

Thankyou both I will be readdressing my set up ASAP thank you once again )))

Gag Order is a bit of a personal preferance thing. Yes, if you're going for the BEST threat keeping build, it's a comodity. But personally i have yet to find the need for a SUPER threat build, and personally i love having the extra interupt and a interupt at long range without haveing to ditch the mob i'm fighting is all the better. It's really just a question of "What tools do you like to have at your disposal?" True i could Charge and stun a caster, but that potentially takes me to CC's and i don't want those broken by me or a blockhead DPS (no offense, but in a random 5 man..... yeah.) I find it easier to throw something at it, silencing it, forcing it to bring it's buisness to me. It's also useful for pulling Casters in raids while avoiding CC's if you don't have a DK to deathgrip things. So i would say that it can be a valuable utility.

It's a Trash talent. All bosses are immune to gag order. Few bosses are immune to damage.

Yeah, it's for trash mobs, and if you're in a organized raid you definitely don't need it, if you're in a 5man random group it's nice to have though.

+ Reply to Thread