+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ranged Weapon Durability

Ranged Weapon Durability

Ok so I posted this on the official hunter forums and the people who posted agreed with me. As a hunter...and MM hunter my ranged weapon seems to lose durability faster than normal weapons. There are reason behind this 1: The max Durability for a ranged weapon is 90. Max for a melee weapon is 120. 2: The MM mastery has a chance to proc another shot.

Durability can be lost on a weapon for a couple reasons a hit, be it melee or an auto shot, a spell, Arcane shot steady shot and the likes, and the most obvious death. Each hit is not a guarantee for a durability point lost but a chance.

So as MM, Arms warrior and Frost DWing DK. You have a chance to hit twice. Which increases your chance to lose durability. Now a Hunter can obviously put more shots down range than a warrior or DK due to the range aspect of the classes. Each class within 100 hits/spells cast CAN lose the same amount of durability, be it a mage, warrior or rogue. These three specs can lose durability a little bit faster due to the mastery. The only difference is a Hunters main weapon has less durability and therefore can break faster.

(WARNING THEORY(IS NOT A TESTED THEORY, IT'S JUST LOGIC BASED OF EXPERIENCE)With the MM mastery shooting another shot. If I have 13% that mean 13/100 shots i will shoot an additonal shot that has a chance to reduce my durability. That means that if a paladin and I are attacking a target for exactly 100 hits (not including hit added by the mastery) I could get 113 hits off before the paladin hits 100 hits. That means that's 13 more chances to lose durability on my Weapon. The average ranged weapon has 90 durability so that brings it down to 77 which is about 86%. Now that's in a perfect enviroment where it just goes of exactly 13 times in that hundred hits. Now that's if each hit added by the mastery took off durability.(please excuse any math errors, it's 2:30 in the morning and i'm tired and i can't sleep because of insomnia) And with the RNG aspect of it all 100 shots from me could proc the mastery and also lose durability mean i'd not have a weapon after 45 shots.

This post is more about how many people agree with the math and think that this is some what unfair for the specs that have this extra proc that reduces durability. I know some spells have a chance to hit twice but it's not as big of a deal as the mastery proc from these three specs. This is also not a QQ about i can't afford to repair. I can easily do so i just noticed this while doing heroics and thought it strange that half way through a run my ranged weapon was at 26% durability

You've also got to factor in weapon speed, off GCD ability usage, attacks that use 2 weapons (DW Frost, Mutilate, SMF's Slam, etc).

in the worst case scenario, yes if you procced your mastery every attack (doesn't it only procs off auto shots) and procced the durability loss every shot and every WQ proc you would lose 90 Durabilty. However if time to failure or rate of durability loss is what you're actually looking at you need to factor in alot other things Mainly APM that use the weapon and proc a durability loss as well swing time. my prot warrior is likely to have a much higher APM due to him having to use off the GCD special attacks while doing his normal GCD rotation, and my sub rogue despite having few abilites that utilise her off hand will have it swingtime at around 0.7 seconds, which being as it only has 75 durability gives it a particularily low time to failure.

Hell what about shields, A prot warrior will nearly block every attack launched at him, on a fight with a crap ton of adds on him(such as magmaw)he's going to have upwards of 20 adds on him each attacking every couple of seconds or so, and in addition he's gonna be attacking with his shield approximately every 5 seconds aswell

I don't mean to put down your complaint, but there is definately a factor you aren't considering. You are a class that can survive wipes, complaining about durability (repair costs effectively).

Feign Death = More money saved than you lose on your ranged weapon.

That factor alone already means you are paying less in repairs than those classes which can not survive.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

you're also a mail class which means you inherently pay less for repairs than plate wearers. I feel your pain but i have to repair almost every 2 wipes as a prot warrior because my shield is on the brink of breaking by that time.

NM quinafoi brought to my attention that they normalized gear durability across all armor classes. so ignore my post =P

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Sooner or latter casters will get dragonwrath, and then we will hear:
    Glove Durability
    Ok so I posted this on the official mage forums and the people who posted agreed with me. As a mage, with dragonwrath my gloves seems to lose durability faster than normally. There are reason behind this 1: The max Durability for a glove slot is 85. Max for a melee weapon is 120. 2: Dragonwrath has a chance to proc an addition spell, and an addition chance to lower my durability.

Durability can be lost on a weapon for a couple reasons getting hit, or casting a spell. Or even proc'ing an extra spell.

So as MM, Arms warrior and Frost DWing DK, any caster class with a dragonwrath. You have a chance to hit twice. Which increases your chance to lose durability. Now a caster can obviously put more spells down range than a warrior or DK due to the range aspect of the classes. Each class within 100 hits/spells cast CAN lose the same amount of durability, be it a warrior, rouge, dk, arms warrior. These three specs can lose durability a little bit faster due to the mastery. The only difference our gloves have even less durability so break even faster.
    Last edited by leethaxor; 08-15-2011 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Not trolling, making a point.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

+ Reply to Thread