+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Holy Priest. Trouble keeping group up

Holy Priest. Trouble keeping group up

Hello all.

This is my first healing class in wow and although I am having fun I feel like I am at times not able to properly keep the group up ( 5man or 10) .
    First off i will say I recently tried Disc and did not like it. I reforged my gear to stack mastery for disc and since im over 12.5% haste I have left it with a fair amount of MST.

My main problem lies in any fight where a crap load out of damage is taken by MOST of the group.. I usually COH, BH x2 then POH. Problem is I have to spam POH which gets me too far behind on MT and thus my dilemma. I struggle through fights like Kilnara and I would like to become more confindent in my healing.
    Thanks for any help.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...chope/advanced

A situation like the one you described (decision between letting the tank die and letting the group die) can only arise if the group doesn't avoid the damage that should be avoided. For Kilnara (because you mentioned her specifically), Tears of Blood comes to mind.

In case you really think it's your fault, here are some pointers:

1. Put down a lightwell, if you haven't made a habit out of it already. I found that surprisingly many random players use it to good effect. If not, annoy them until they do.

2. Stack haste. It's not the ideal stat, but unless you have mana problems, it's great to increase your throughput. Haste also makes it a bit easier to heal reactively.

3. Consider staying in Serenity Chakra for group healing fights where you struggle to keep the tank alive. The instant heal can save the tank in a pinch and may save you a GCD for Renew here and there.

4. Ask your tank for liberal use of his cooldowns. When I tank Kilnara, I usually use Shield Wall just after pulling the second panther pack. Also make sure the group does everything they can to mitigate the incoming damage (like Thunderclap, Demoralizing Shout, interrupts, etc.)

Circle of Healing, and Prayer of Mending.

These are awesome. Glyph both (the former for raid healing). And low mana cost. PoM provides and instant 20ish K on the tank, and should almost be used on CD (for it will bounce around party/raid members healing them). I normally CoH a the first sign of damage on anyone other then the tank, then hit renew. I'm a big fan or renew filler so I talent it to full.

My priest is sitting at about 360ish ilevel and I will oom on the panter boss, with bad healers but I can heal normal baleroc without a problem.

If anything set down lightwell for yourself.

TL;DR PoM > CoH > Renew as filler
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Leethaxor why not use PoH as the filler for AoE healing? I find that renew does not tick for enough and not often enough while costing quite a lot of mana when used on more than two targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    Leethaxor why not use PoH as the filler for AoE healing? I find that renew does not tick for enough and not often enough while costing quite a lot of mana when used on more than two targets.
    Speaking in terms of 5mans.

I've found that AoE comes in a burst, and its normally easier to renew 3 to 4 targets and pop a heal on them one by one to increase the duration of the renew while keeping the tank up. Where if I PoH'd the whole group I fall behind on the tank, while with rapid renew I can renew player A, then heal tank, renew player B, heal player A, instant heal tank, renew C, heal B, heal tank, heal A, heal C and keep up 2-3 renews with your chalk. Sustained AoE damage is a good time for PoH, but PoH seems better suited for raids in my opinion. 5 players all receiving incoming damage often means somebody is doing something very very wrong in a 5man. Also proactively using CoH and PoM, (not before the damage but as) means that players will often get CoH'd as soon as party wide damage happens, and PoM is often floating around on somebody or used before on tank for predictable party damage to save a 2 second heal that would happen on tank and use that time to renew 2 other players for the aforementioned renew multi-HoT'ing.

Also if I remember correctly renew5 is your single most mana efficient heal per cast.
    Last edited by leethaxor; 08-13-2011 at 11:47 PM. Reason: If your confused I think I confused myself, I'll try to be clearer after 8 hours of sleep.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

+ Reply to Thread