+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Major random threat issues lately.

Major random threat issues lately.

So I just did a heroic for the first time in a couple of weeks cause I'm just tired of doing them, and I was having some major threat issues. I've always been having threat issues in raids with my guild sometimes if someone pulls 30k DPS at the start or even shortly after, they just blow past me in threat. But I'm usually fine after I taunt and get above them before they actually pull the boss. But on trash for sure, and in that heroic my threat was all over the place. Sometimes the DPS was nowhere close to me in threat, other times I was barely holding threat, and other times a frost DK kept pulling off me. Anyone 16k+ DPS usually seems to really make me struggle to hold threat. And I know my hit and expertise is low, but I don't know what I can do or what my best options would be to not lose survivability.

Here is a link to my tank.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Ranjeet/simple

So am I just going to have to reforge out of master and all that and start reforging and gemming for threat? New spec? Not sure what the best options would be to try to get better threat and keep as much survivability as I can in Firelands and such. Cause I get hit like a truck in there as it is. I can barely out threat most DK DPS or the DK tank in our raids so he ends up taking almost all the trash all the time till I can finally manage to pull a couple off.

::EDIT:: Well I've reforged some things and changed my build to see what happens. But could still use opinions and such about what can be done.
    Last edited by squall670; 08-08-2011 at 12:28 PM.

Drop Gag Order Pick up Deep Wounds. However your threat is most affected by two things: your rotation and your incoming damage, alot of well geared tanks have different sets for different encounters, one set will typically forgoe defense in the neame of THreat and mianly be mase up of Mastery /exp or master/hit pieces and they use this set for tanking dungeons.

I myself just swap into my Arms gear with the hit shield and a hit 1 hander.

what's your rotation and opening ability usage?

Drop gag order and thunderstruck and get deep wounds and fill out incite. For raids pull with recklessness and prepot a strength potion if needed. For heroics just switch trinkets maybe some other stuff as well. Mastery + strength on use is quite nice as threattrinket avengers of hyjal got 1 at revered and tol barad got 1 as well. I've the orc racial + trinket macroed into shieldblock. If dps goes all bananas in a heroic i find marking a skull can help sometimes but i rarely need it tbh

Well my threat is usually fine with everyone but our mage and frost DKs in heroics usually. Just those two clases pour out so much DPS my threat can't hold it usually. Everything else is fine. I'm fine on Shannox and Bethtilac when it comes to threat, I just have opening threat issues usually.

And for heroics my rotations is Rend and thunderclap shockwave to open. On bosses it's shield block shield slam revenge devestate.

And I only have the one set right now dont even have a great DPS set even. Still trying to build everything up.

::EDIT:: Also, I don't know what I should spend my VP on first. Some of the lower VP stuff seems better than what I have, but I don't know if waiting for 2 piece T12 is better or not.
    Last edited by squall670; 08-09-2011 at 12:19 PM.

I've noticed this too, Squall. I think it's due to the fact that heroics just don't hit as hard when your geared. I was feeling mega rage starved when I ran one last night, and got yelled at by a DK that was doing 15k off the bat.

"dude tank"
    "dude wut"
    "hold ag idk"
    "let me grab it and i will"

/end of convo

I don't lose aggro when they give me a few seconds to get a couple cleaves and a shockwave tossed down, though. It's when they assume I have aggro after charging in 2 second prior.

My single target DPS is a bit low too, I feel. I always feel like I'm having to taunt off CD when it comes to heroics. But only heroics though, not troll heroics. Troll heroics are fine. Heroic heroics are a pain in my rear. Heroics.

Yeah I have issues when ppl are in the Wrath mindset of "Oh the tank charged, I can go balls to the wall now and not pull threat." But everyone still expects tanks to snap aggro half a second in to the fight when it can't really be done as easily anymore. And I just ran a heroic and my threat in TONS better now with the way my toon currently looks. Changed the spec for Incite and Deep Wounds and it's a lot better now.

But I'm still unsure of what I should spend VP on first. Some of the tier doesn't seem leaps and bounds better than my current pieces, but I do get more health. Where as some of the others, like neck and such increases pretty much all but one stat, usually expertise. So any suggestions on what the best course of action is?

I got the Ring and Ranged weapon first as the only time i'm gonna replace them for progression would be with Heroic version of them. the Neck is nice but theirs a Trash drop thats also quite nice (which i later got) so i put that on low priority, the tier Hands and legs look the nicest for netting the 2 pc, but argaloth drops them so i waited a little for them (he didn't drop them and i ended up buying them) and the tier chest did not look attractive on stats alone.

so i'd go Ring> Ranged> legs and hands > Neck > chest. I'm presently working on the neck.

Which ranged is best? I know there is a tank parry one, but the overall stats off the DPS one seem to benefit me more. And I don't think my guild will ever manage to handle heroics. We've never even done heroics in BWD or BoT yet.

Deflecting Star, Giant slicer has hit on it (meh) and the Morningstar Shard is agility (bleh).

+ Reply to Thread