+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rallying cry replaces last stand?

Rallying cry replaces last stand?

I am starting to play my prot war alt again and just noticed that Last Stand locks out Rallying Cry. I guess that means I should generally use Rallying Cry rather than Last Stand as my cooldown? That way it benefits the raid as well as myself.

I understand that if another warrior uses rallying cry, I can still use Last Stand. Is the game smart enough to stop me being able to cast rallying cry?

Last Stand is 30%, rallying Cry only 20%
    And no, you will be able to cast Rallying Cry while under it's effect, as it would lengthen the buff (thus can be used in a 'useful' way)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Last stand is the personal CD for Prot warriors and our best Panic button. It's there to deal with the bosses truck abilities, things like Baleroc's inferno blade, Rallying Cry is the generic warrior external CD, and is best used to mitigate a raid wide damage spike sucj as Nefarien's Electrocutes. As a prot warrior you should only use Rally Cry strategically, and not as a personal CD, Ideally you'd never be called to use Rallying Cry as both arms and fury don't sacrafice anything for it whereas you are sacraficing your best panic button for a strategic raid CD.

Last Stand = I am in danger of dying and I need to survive.

Rallying Cry = Damage on the raid is ramping up and the damage isn't as threatening to myself because I already have more effective health however my survival means nothing if all my healers and DPS are dead.

Firelands has a lot of instances where Rallying Cry is more useful than Last Stand. Beth'tilac on the second phase. Lord Rhyolith on the second phase. Shannox (normal) on the second phase. The list goes on. Basically if a fight involves a phase where there is heavy AoE damage that increases in magnitude the longer the phase goes on you will generally want to use Rallying Cry.

It's a matter of what is the current or growing threat. Raid damage or tank damage. If the tank is the only one to suvive, they won't last much longer. If the raid lives but the tank dies, the raid won't survive much longer either without a tank. It isn't a black and white just use this ability from now on.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Airowird View Post
    Last Stand is 30%, rallying Cry only 20%
    Also note that Last Stand is 20 seconds, Rallying Cry only 10. A very common way to use Last Stand is in combination with Enraged Regeneration (which will heal for more if you use it while your HP are higher). So you take an unexpected spike of damage/loss of healing, you hit last stand to avoid dying to the next hit then zerker rage -> enraged regen to help the healers get you back up before the last stand wears off. You can also use last stand to pre-emptively handle known big hits, but I haven't seen many of these in this tier.

+ Reply to Thread