+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reforging question (little stat big stat!)

Reforging question (little stat big stat!)

Pretty simple question here: what do I do with a piece that's avoidance/threat stat (other than toss it in the garbage) where the avoidance is much, much higher than the threat?

Take for instance Theck's Emberseal, which has 227 dodge and 115 hit rating. Do I reforge the bigger but useful stat to mastery in the name of CTC, or would it be better to reforge the smaller but typically useless stat?

I ask because I just picked up one of these rings, and despite not being a serious raider at all I'm very anal-retentive about min/maxing.

Thanks in advance

For paladins at least, if the threat stat is less than 60% of the avoidance stat, you gain more CTC by reforging the avoidance stat. You do, however, lose total damage reduction by doing so.

60% of 227 is 136, so I would (and did so myself) reforge the dodge to mastery, and not the hit rating.

Thanks! I think I'll reforge the dodge then, since I'm more concerned with filling up the combat table at this point.

i would think that reforging the hit would give you more ctc by turning a non ctc stat into a ctc stat.

so unreforged you have 227 ctc rating
    reforging the hit to mastery you get 227+46=273 ctc rating
    reforging the dodge to mastery leaves you with 227 ctc rating.

*ctc rating= avoidance = mastery ratings for this example*

yes dodge has the dr with it, But hit is uselss for when going for ctc.
    Last edited by uglie; 08-06-2011 at 05:08 AM.

Not really, you only need about 80 mastery rating for 1% block as a paladin, while 1% dodge requires between 180 and 210 rating depending on your current DR.

179(ish) mastery rating = 1 mastery = 2.25% block

Assuming that you need 180 dodge rating for 1% dodge chance:

227 dodge rating ~ 1.26% dodge
    40% of 115 hit rating = 46 rating = 0.58% block

total CTC = 1.84%

reforging the dodge rating:
    40% of 227 is 91
    136 dodge rating = 0.75% dodge
    91 mastery rating = 1.14% block

total CTC = 1.9%
    Last edited by Fetzie; 08-06-2011 at 05:42 AM.

For warriors it can be different, at reasonable 4000+ combined avoidance rating in 378-391 gear you can (note: not must) see a slightly decrease in combat table coverage while reforging away avoidance values instead of offensive stats and that's with already taking diminishing returns into account. For easier comparison and tweaking to the cap i recommend rawr, chardev.org or any other gear/char comparison page/tool but don't forget to add all important buffs (kings, battle shout, food and elixir if you use them over a flask), or the results may differ in the end.

+ Reply to Thread