+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thinking of being a Shammy

Thinking of being a Shammy

I was thinking of rolling a Resto Shammy, and in the wow forums everyone is QQ-ing of Shammys being underpowered in FL. I would like to ask a pro from Tankspot, is this true?
    Thanks in advance for the answers
    Last edited by surex; 07-31-2011 at 03:54 PM.

Sorry, i wanted to post this in healing forum.

Depends on the raidsize. On 10m you gonna suck, on 25m you can at least drop a Manatide and save the mail spirit loot from getting sharded... 10m PoV: We're on Raggi heroic right now and our resto is benched and we had a hard time dealing with several hardmodes with a shaman instead of eg a druid or a second priest.

There are only 2 bosses (domo/beth'tilac) where you can chain heal effectively and without healing rain proccing Earthliving all night long you have a hard time keeping your group/raid up.
    Last edited by klausi; 07-31-2011 at 06:42 PM. Reason: it's late, mixed up Riptide and Earthliving .-)

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    There are only 2 bosses (domo/beth'tilac) where you can chain heal effectively and without healing rain proccing Riptide all night long you have a hard time keeping your group/raid up.
    Chain Heal spamming hasn't been the most effective way for shaman to heal since Sunwell, and Healing Rain doesn't "proc" Riptide, which is a 6 second cooldown instant cast heal with an HoT component; I think you mean Earthliving.

To the OP: the vast, vast majority of the WoW population are simply deluding themselves if they think that the experiences of bleeding edge world top 5 guilds are in any way applicable to their own groups. The pressures of that raiding environment simply do not filter down to people who aren't required to min-max to that extent.

Resto shaman have a bit of a "jack of all trades, master of none" problem just now, but just because world first kills of Ragnaros Heroic don't have one in the raid doesn't mean they're useless. There will be Ragnarios 10H and 25H kills with resto shaman (there may have been already, I haven't looked at the raid comps of all of the kills so far). Not that raw HPS is much of a measure of anything useful, but I notice that a prominent resto shaman blogger is topping the meters in their Ragnaros 25H attempts.

Lumines basically said it perfectly.

A lot of people think shammies are all about spamming chain heal, but that's not the case much any more. You can get the most HPS in 25s by spamming CH and Healing Rain, but you'll run 00m fast.

In tens, shammies are basically best for tank healing. Pallies are still better, as they can beacon and have a little bit more abilities, but we make a good alternative. The thing is, our secondary stats change upon the role we perform by a vast majority (in 25s haste is our best stat, in 10s then crit/mastery is our best stat if were tank healing, crit/haste if were raid healing, crit for 5s). Greater Healing Wave (with tidal wave and a good bit of mastery) gives off the single biggest heal.

So, in short, being a shammy won't cripple you. Were a jack of all trades when it comes to healing, but master of none. So, if you accept that and know your not going to be the best healer in your group (assuming you have other skilled healers with you), then you can do it. It's pretty cool to have almost no competition on all that mail int gear, if gearing is your thing.
    "If the tank dies, it's the healers fault. If the healer dies, it's the tanks fault. If the dps dies, it's their own damn fault!"

It depends on what you're looking for in a class, Surex. If you want to be an OP flavor-of-the-month, then a Resto Shaman isn't going to be your best bet right now. But if you want to give it a shot, and try out a unique play style that has come a long way since the days of Sunwell CH spam, then by all means, give shaman a try.

As with any healer, or any class for that matter, there will always be pros and cons of the class, and your placement on meters will never be certain. But thankfully, Klausi is not correct in his presumption that Resto Shaman are simply a warm body to fill in a 10th spot. The only thing that will hold you back from being a great healer as a Resto Shaman, is you.

(and um ... those logs were supposed to be private. YOU SAW NOTHING! But thanks for the link luv, Lumines. ^_^ )

As you well know vix shaman have 1 and only purpose, keeping inspiration up on the tanks

Anyway welcome to tankspot hopefully you stick around.

ps: /checks email ... nothing ... /taps foot

Thanks all for their opinions...I'll be a shammy then :P

Shammies are good. Shammies are fun. If you're good at a shammy, people will love to have you as their healer. Good luck in your endeavor.

One tip: Don't listen to all the fools who whine about shammies being total crap. Prove them wrong.
    Bears are strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Lumines View Post
    There will be Ragnarios 10H and 25H kills with resto shaman (there may have been already, I haven't looked at the raid comps of all of the kills so far).
    While waiting for raid invites last night I got some Server First! Ragnaros Heroic spam in my chat. And lo and behold, Inner Sanctum's world sixth kill (it shows up as a wipe on WoL, but you can clearly see the "Ragnaros dies" marker in the graph) included a Resto shaman.

On 10m you gonna suck, on 25m you can at least drop a Manatide and save the mail spirit loot from getting sharded.
    Looks like somebody is looking entirely at the HPS meters and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Sebadoh View Post
    Looks like somebody is looking entirely at the HPS meters and nothing else.
    Might sound harsh but for heroic 10m there's not much room for restoration shaman unless you want to leave a holy paladin at home or need his lust/totems to cover raidbuff-gaps. Even our healing shamans state themselves (and whine all day long...) that they feel in an awkward spot with subpar raid healing compared to priests and druids (due to lots of fights don't favor clumping) and subpar tank healing compared to a paladin (hello beacon). I actually never look at healing meters - if there's something wrong we regulary find that problem at the "standing in fire" front.

Quote Originally Posted by Vixsin View Post
    Klausi is not correct in his presumption that Resto Shaman are simply a warm body to fill in a 10th spot.
    For 25m you'll always find a melee pile to direct your groupheals to but for 10m eg your 4 piece isn't just that good, sadly. But maybe another 10m heroic raiding shaman might want to give his insight on this topic? I just can give it from tank pov and from hearsay from my fellow players. For regular 10m raiding all classes are capable, no worries. But in the current version we barely down eg Beth'tilac heroic with a shaman instead of a druid (and had to completley readjust/-learn positioning/strategy for phase 1 and more) and i can't see a spot for a shaman over a holy paladin on heroic ragnaros (at least at our progression/gearing state).
    Last edited by klausi; 08-02-2011 at 05:03 PM.

So basically...

Q: "Should I start X class from level 1?"

A: "No, because at the moment it's not flavor of the month and underperforms in content that 99.9999% of raiders aren't doing. You should roll something else instead."

I mean, I'll take your word on them not performing well on Heroic Ragnaros then, but really what are the odds that a toon created now will be at that point in the near future?

I'm firmly with the "play what you want" camp on this one.

Might sound harsh but for heroic 10m there's not much room for restoration shaman unless you want to leave a holy paladin at home or need his lust/totems to cover raidbuff-gaps. Even our healing shamans state themselves (and whine all day long...) that they feel in an awkward spot with subpar raid healing compared to priests and druids (due to lots of fights don't favor clumping) and subpar tank healing compared to a paladin (hello beacon). I actually never look at healing meters - if there's something wrong we regulary find that problem at the "standing in fire" front.
    Your healing Shamans needs to stop mindlessly spamming HR & CH and learn the value and use of the Rip-trip rotation, even for AoE healing, which works especially well if you go balance out crit & mastery past 915 Haste.

For 25m you'll always find a melee pile to direct your groupheals to but for 10m eg your 4 piece isn't just that good, sadly. But maybe another 10m heroic raiding shaman might want to give his insight on this topic? I just can give it from tank pov and from hearsay from my fellow players. For regular 10m raiding all classes are capable, no worries. But in the current version we barely down eg Beth'tilac heroic with a shaman instead of a druid (and had to completley readjust/-learn positioning/strategy for phase 1 and more) and i can't see a spot for a shaman over a holy paladin on heroic ragnaros (at least at our progression/gearing state).
    10mans are supposed to be about adjusting tactics to your raid comp (atleast I think that's how it should be).
    Sure, progress guilds that are still >90% in pre-tier gear will ditch anyone that can't compete 100% with another class, but that is not the majority of raiders, who will most likely see a well played Shaman out-perform a mediocre played <anything else>.

PS: You forget that Shaman tank healers don't NEED to output as much as a Holydin, due to Ancestral Healing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

+ Reply to Thread