Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The Protection Paladin

I edited my reply to reflect the actual values more accurately. Next time you find something wrong (or not completely accurate) it would be nice if you could try using a less aggressive tone of writing though.

It was not meant to come off as aggressive at all, it was meant to show a point that needed to be made. One of the reasons I stopped frequenting tankspot as much as I did say a year and a half ago has been the generalizations in the guides, now until yesterday I had never seen yours since I frequent Maintankadin much more.

However in the past when I played several alts quite often(before I was introduced to League of Legends, now I only play my Paladin and Priest) I would find incomplete and generalized guides, which then led me to need to go off to other sites to get all the specifics. If you are going to take the time to write a guide then take the time to be very clear concise and specific including responding to questions posed. I started writing one for protection maybe two years ago until I fully realized the amount of work it was going to take, and then secondly how much of it I would just be taking from the guides on Maintankadin so I scrapped it.
    www.blessthemartyrguild.com

The thing is it is possible to get too bogged down in the numbers. Look at the MM hunter thread on EJ, as a case in point; when it comes to the rotation it turns "2xSS then fillers to 20 focus then 2xSS" into a detailed discussion of exactly what to do differently when this trinket procs, or when that tier bonus procs to get the last 0.01 dps out of the character. I didn't want a guide that you needed University level mathematics to get the information out of. I link to the maths that forms the basis for my assertions for the mathematically minded to peruse, but I won't be posting calculus in the guide itself. That would probably turn more people off tanking with a paladin than any amount of generalizations.

Anyway, point taken, back to protection paladin questions. Let's get this back on topic.

Fetzie, I think your guide is excellent and thank you for the assistance.

I have included a spreadsheet in the second post with the Dragon Soul loot I could find on Wowhead showing the stats on each of them

blah, im getting it as a pdf, anyway do we have any info on the ICD of souldrinker Fetzie?

Wowhead is listing the proc chance as 15%. Sorry about the pdf, still trying to work out how googledocs works (does it really make too much of a difference?).

Yeah saw the proc chance but didnt see anything for the ICD on it, I would assume their is one. IDK if it was just me but when mine opened it broke the colums into different pages so wasn't as streamlined as it is prob layed out.

If I have done it right, the link should now open it as a spreadsheet on Google Documents.

Great guide! Exactly what I was looking for. After doing the DPS thing and the Healing thing I am taking the plunge into tanking. This guide is a perfect balance of how to do it and why you should. It doesn't get bogged down in the numbers but gives enough to show you why you should care about them. I will be reading your blog and checking back often to see this thread.

Well played sir. Well played.

Perfect guide but still i have one q cus last time i check other prot pallys best on my serv and see that they change all games on +75 stam right know i dont know what i must to do ? Now i have about 397-398 item lvl my stats (just on my buffs) is Dodge 20.22% (when Resolve of Undying have 10 stacks) Parry - 19.03% and Block 56.42% . When i start changing games on +75 stam i lose my def cap so what is u advise ? Should i change games ? Thx for answer

How much have you reforged to mastery? Your block chance seems quite low for your item level. It is considerably more efficient to use mastery to increase your CTC than avoidance. It is also better to reforge avoidance to mastery, and then turn the excess mastery on gems into stamina.

Now if you can increase your mastery so that you have about 64% block (about 3200 rating), even at a cost of avoidance, that would leave a lot of stats and gems that you could convert into stamina. Even converting just 100 avoidance/mastery from gems into stamina would mean a 2k life unbuffed increase to your health pool.

I have just logged out in my tanking gear, so you can have a look at what I did (last night I was messing around with my retribution gear and forgot to respecc before going to bed)

Yes i try to chack u but in that moment u wos in retri :P I give u link to my profile http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...C3%B6/advanced what u will be change ?

Those items with a ton of avoidance rating and a bit of threat rating (hit or expertise): try reforging the avoidance instead. Like your helmet for example. Do you have the trinket from beth'tilac (heroic if possible) or the VP trinket? I would use that instead of the spine trinket. If you check my gear it is fairly similar to yours, but I managed to get 14k life unbuffed more out of it while still being CTC capped. My next "project" is to get rid of all the non-stamina socket bonuses, however that will require some 410 drops :/

Hmm good advice i will change this trinket thx m8

I saw that your character has only 1.47% hit. This doesn't affect you at all?

Great guide ^^

No it doesn't. Threat would be through the roof with 0% hit and 0 expertise. If I could possibly get shut of the hit and expertise rating, I would.

Can you check my character and tell me what do you think about socketing and reforging?
    What changes I could do for maximization?

It would be great if you could provide a link to the character's profile