Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The Protection Paladin

Understanding CtC....please tell me if im correct!!!

I just came back to tanking (i have been on a Mage since BC). Prior to that i did some tanking in vanilla, but WOW have things changed!

I read your Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The Protection Paladin
    and wanted to say thank you it helped me tremendously! For a brand new pally tank i understand everything but the CtC and wanted to have things cleared up.

IF IM CORRECT, Ok to determine Block capping or unhittability per say i would simply calculate my current Block, Dodge, Parry, Miss %'s.

Dont laugh im still getting some gear, So i have:

Dodge 13.22%
    Parry 13.83%
    Block 46.32%
    Miss 5%

Added up that would give me 78.37% Avoidance. This is where i want to make sure im clear.....do i add my added block due to mastery now? If so i should add 41% added block for my 18.3 points in mastery which would catapult me to 119% avoidance??? If so i get to reforge and re-gem a bit!

I dont want to think anymore into this until im sure im correct, if not tell me im an idiot and go back to school to learn math.

Your block chance (46.32%) already includes the block chance granted by your mastery. Your block chance without including your mastery is 5%. So you do indeed simply add 13.22 + 13.83 + 46.32 + 5 to get your combined avoidance and block chance.

Ok thank you for clearing that up, i still have plenty of gear to obtain before i reach my cap. But at least im starting to understand the in's and out's of this so called pally tanking, lol.

Thank you for taking the time for this guide!

If you want a good idea of gear gemming and enchanting you cant check out Mr.Robot. Just Google it, its a gear optimizer and its amazing. It will give you a great Idea of gear sets according to Ilvl and your preferences as well as bis gems, chants, and reforges. Once you break CTC you will prolly more than have an idea of what to do so you wont need this. But I still check it sometimes to see if Im along the right lines.

Edit:Its not law but its pretty damn close.

Just curious here, what do you think of the CLC Prot addon? If you're not familiar, it's essentially the tankadin version of Shock and Awe for enhancement shaman. It doesn't recommend when to use mitigation CDs, but I've found it to work fairly well for threat myself.

In regards to Mr. Robot, I have heard so much negativity about the site that personally I'd stick to www.wowreforge.com or maintankadin.com with preference toward the latter in this case.

I prefer not to rely on addons like that for rotations/priorities. While they are wonderful for slightly more complicated dps classes, they are often pretty mediocre for tanks. You can also be led astray by an addon: think about picking up the fragments at rhyolith while the spark is not yet dead, you need to break the single target priority to get a bit of threat on the fragments so that they keep off the healers.

What I did was I went to a boss dummy, put up seal of insight and pummeled the dummy for 20 minutes until I could do it blind.

Suppose that works too. LOL. The addon does stick to the priority pretty efficiently so I figure since I learn better by having it in my face than reading, I'll probably do something similar.

I added a few words about mastery post CTC hard-cap to the stats section.

Theres a nice addon called visual combat table simplifies the whole thing for you

I have added a section in the second post discussing the changes in the PTR patch 4.3.0 that actually change something for Protection Paladins.

my

good post

So, in my Prot spec with Lavascale Minestrone and Elixir of the Master I now have in excess of full ctc by about 1.5%, not a huge amount but seems like a waste; what stats should I start changing from avoidance/mastery? Mr. Robot (I'm not really a big fan of it, but it did give the reforging advice to hit ctc) says things like expertise and hit. I guess that's all that's left, but am open to suggestions.

I'd link my pally but I logged out in my healing set.

You can reforge mastery to avoidance (or un-reforge back to avoidance as the case may be), this approach will probably need a lot of fine tuning as to which items you should reforge.

Somewhat simpler, if not as finely tuned, is changing gems. You can either turn excess mastery into Stamina, or into parry or dodge.

Thanks, now that you mention it, I forgot all about Stam - how far we've come from WoLK when stam was the Holy Grail. Think I'll work on the gems first; maybe turn some of +40 mastery gems to mastery/stam gems and then go from there.

Re: Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The Protection Paladin

If you are using the block meta, id start by replacing it with the armor meta. Wont drop you under ctc, and its a sizable chunk of armor with good gear

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lilreggie View Post
    If you are using the block meta, id start by replacing it with the armor meta. Wont drop you under ctc, and its a sizable chunk of armor with good gear

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

If you have Block Cap, and even when fairly significantly below it, the block value meta gem reduces your damage taken by more than the 2% armor will. The maths concerning this choice can be found here (courtesy of Theck over at maintankadin).

It boils down to this:

If you are a long way away from full CTC, use the armor meta gem.

If you are less than 15% off full CTC, the armor meta gem is slightly better.

If you are 12.4% off full CTC the gems are worth about the same.

If you are less than 10% off full CTC, the BV gem comes out better.

If you are less than 5% off CTC, especially during Holy Shield, the BV gem starts to really run away with it.

If you are at full CTC, even without hitting Holy Shield even once, you would need over 85000 armor for the Armor meta to be better than the BV one.

If you are at full CTC and use Holy Shield, you would need over 130000 armor (assuming it is not hard capped) for the armor gem to reduce more damage over all, and during Holy Shield, there is practically no value for Armor that would cause the Armor meta gem to pull ahead of the Block value gem.

For reference, damage reduction through armor against bosses (or level 88 opponents) is hard capped at just under 97000 (75%) for level 85 players.
    Last edited by Fetzie; 11-02-2011 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fetzie View Post
    If you are less than 5% off CTC, especially during Holy Shield, the BV gem starts to really run away with it.
    This is completely irrelevant it does not matter if it is during or not during Holy Shield the BV meta is so far ahead.

If you are less than 15% off full CTC, both are about the same.
    Where are you coming up with this? Direct quote from Theckhd

Quote Originally Posted by Theckhd
    in other words, the 1% block meta is almost identical to the 2% armor meta in the absence of Holy Shield for a tank sitting at 55% block and 35% avoidance, a little over 10% below block cap
    That is stating at 12.4% the block meta is ALMOST identical, at 15% the armor is a better meta.
    www.blessthemartyrguild.com

Quote Originally Posted by Exiledknight View Post
    This is completely irrelevant it does not matter if it is during or not during Holy Shield the BV meta is so far ahead.
    Nevertheless, I would be remiss to not mention it. Therefore I did. There is no such thing as useless information, perhaps somebody comes here looking to convince a guildie that the block gem is better in THEIR specific case. This saves them needing to ask the question.

Where are you coming up with this? Direct quote from Theckhd
    And what do you think "less than 15%" means? Read it again. Between 10 and 15% off CTC they are about the same, close enough to not make that much of a difference, with the breakpoint being about 12.5%. for x% where x<12.4, the block meta will grant more damage reduction, while for x% where x > 12.4, the armor meta will provide slightly more damage reduction. Don't forget that in these borderline areas we are talking about margin of error and the assumption is that the damage in question is blockable (or reduced by armor).

For example Inferno Blades is elemental damage, but blockable. The breakpoint would be much earlier in this specific case.

Haven't used Mr. Robot in a long time. Past all that, Theotherone If you are over Ctc and you are very high on mastery food and block its self I would suggest slowing changing it to avoidance to balance your ctc. Its not imparitive but if you wish to min max that's what I would suggest. Unless you are talking about HRag or something along the lines and then I would say the right idea is going to the Puissant for your yellows and prismatic. I also when I was very high over at like 70% block started using some Regal gems same color as mastery stam just with dodge. It helped me put my dodge over and gain stam at the same time which was nice. An even more simple alternative is to just use feasts or dodge food instead of mastery. Cheap and easy!

Nice comments on the thread looks like it really picked up!

And what do you think "less than 15%" means? Read it again. Between 10 and 15% off CTC they are about the same, close enough to not make that much of a difference, with the breakpoint being about 12.5%. for x% where x<12.4, the block meta will grant more damage reduction, while for x% where x > 12.4, the armor meta will provide slightly more damage reduction. Don't forget that in these borderline areas we are talking about margin of error and the assumption is that the damage in question is blockable (or reduced by armor)
    This is a guide, you are the author, saying they are about the same is like someone saying the Heroic Mandible is about the same and the normal version.....close enough to not make that much of a difference? Again this is a guide, a guide should deal in absolutes when they are there and nothing else, 12.4% is where the BV becomes better(and no you cant use one particular mechanic to turn an answer into a generalization, you want to do that make an encounter specific area of the guide). At 15% the armor meta is better, at 12.5% they are equal...that is not the same as if you are less than 15% they are about the same. You should have simply used those breakpoints to answer the question correctly.
    www.blessthemartyrguild.com