Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The Protection Paladin

Unless a 40 mastery gem would get you block capped, I would recommend going for stamina + mastery in blue and yellow. Socket bonuses are generally quite useful nowadays. This ensures you have a decent enough health pool size to deal with unexpected things like healers blanking out.

theodisius: what kind of tips do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    Unless a 40 mastery gem would get you block capped, I would recommend going for stamina + mastery in blue and yellow. Socket bonuses are generally quite useful nowadays. This ensures you have a decent enough health pool size to deal with unexpected things like healers blanking out.
    How much stamina do you think i should have? i'm not block capped yet, my item level in the moment is 367, and i'm planing to change some mastery gems to mastery + stamina as you recommended, but dont wanna lose too much mastery.

I have always gemmed green in yellow and blue and had no problems, 2% of CTC won't really make that much of a difference either way. How close are you to full CTC?

theodisius: what kind of tips do you want?
    It's just a thought, but I typically find there are a handful of things I have to remember or look out for when tanking each boss - a crib sheet if you like. If you have your own list, it would be useful to share it. For example, anything to do with CD usage or glyphing.

Some maybe specific to paladin abilities. Like with Halfus and the slate dragon, let your stacks get to 15 (or whatever is best) and bubble them off first time. Or like with Magmaw's mangle, GoAK does not work. Use Avenger Shield to free Chimaeron's Worship targets etc. Or which bosses to glyph Divine Protection. Other tips may just be general to all tanks.

It's not a biggie, but if you do have some boss tanking tips, they would be a nice addition to the guide.

I wouldn't know about Mangle and GoAK because I had an immunity for each of the mangle phases (HoP, DS), look at the end of the original post, is that the kind of thing you were looking for?

look at the end of the original post, is that the kind of thing you were looking for?
    Exactly that kind of thing. Thanks!

Good guide, well written. Moved to Critical Guides section, will leave a long redirect here for those who may still look for it here and to provide feedback.

Good Job Pyrea.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Nice guide, good to see more of this stuff around.
    Tiny typo in your pull-sequence you mentioned:
    Avenging Wrath comes before Inquisition, it should be the other way around.

As Avenging Wrath neither triggers nor is affected by the Global Cooldown it doesn't actually matter which way around you press AW and INQ

Hand of Salvation
    Reduces the threat of a friendly target by 20% over ten seconds (2% per second). Use in the first 20 seconds of combat is a waste, as it only reduces the current threat level, not the threat generation rate.
    Just wanted to make a couple of comments on this. The threat reduction on HoS is actually multiplicative, so it will be less than 20%:

0.98*0.98*0.98*0.98*0.98*0.98*0.98*0.98*0.98*0.98 = 0.817073, or about 18.3% reduction off the base threat you had when you cast it.

Also, it does affect the threat you generate, though that is harder to model. If we assume (Big assumption mind you) that TPS is constant over the 10 seconds of the buff, then:
    +0 seconds: Threat = To //hasn't ticked yet, but it is cast at this point.
    +1 seconds: Threat = (To + TPS)*0.98 //Starting point...first tick
    +2 seconds: Threat = ((To + TPS)*0.98 + TPS)*0.98
    +3 seconds: Threat = (((To + TPS)*0.98 + TPS)*0.98
    +4 seconds: Threat = ((((To + TPS)*0.98 + TPS)*0.98 + TPS)*0.98
    +10 seconds: Threat = ((((((((((To + TPS)*.98 + TPS)*.98 + TPS)*...*0.98)

Which gives: To*0.98^10 + TPS*[0.98 + 0.98^2 + ... + 0.98^9 + 0.98^10]

Or after some series math:
    0.817073*To + 8.96343*TPS

Without HoS up, you would have been doing:
    To + 10*TPS //10 seconds over the timeframe

So you get a 18.2927% decrease in your base threat when you cast the spell and a 10.3657% decrease in the threat that you generated after casting it until the buff runs out (NOTE: Assuming TPS is constant over those 2 seconds...if it isn't, the 2nd component will vary).

That second component is really really theoretical considering TPS is rarely constant, but just wanted to toss it at you so you could see that the TPS you do after casting it is affected by HoS

EDIT:
    Series Math:
    Given a series, S = [0.98 + 0.98^2 + 0.98^3 + ... + 0.98^9 + 0.98^10]

You can multiply it by your series base, 0.98:
    0.98*S = [0.98^2 + 0.98^3 + 0.98^4 + ... + 0.98^10 + 0.98^11]

Then you can say:

S - 0.98*S = 0.98 - 0.98^11

And:

S = (0.98 - 0.98^11)/(1-0.98) = 8.96343
    Last edited by jere; 08-09-2011 at 03:30 PM.

Series math always gave me a headache

I'll add a link to the maths in the OP, thanks for taking the time.

Series math was one of the ones I enjoyed since it mostly was done by finding little "tricks" to solve, which is kinda right up my alley. I'm not great at it, but I liked it enough to take partial differential equations, which is mostly series math.

As Avenging Wrath neither triggers nor is affected by the Global Cooldown it doesn't actually matter which way around you press AW and INQ
    But as Inq triggers the gcd, you spend the time during your inq-gcd with AW active.
    So it would be better to delay AW until shortly before the first attack that is actually buffed by Inq, instead of wasting this gcd of AW-uptime.
    Where is the flaw in my logic here?

Now I think about it, you are right. Will edit post-haste

Very good thread. One of the better ones Ive read. Lots of good things here. I have many things I would love to talk to you about. I am very big on my pally atm and spend a lot of time theory crafting and min maxing to optimize my pally. My toon is Gokuson Us Wildhammer http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...kuson/advanced I posted on a previous post in another thread before i got to read this and I think that you have done a great job. I'd like to help out in any way possible if you want to get together and pick each others brains.

Quote Originally Posted by Venturius View Post
    I play as a paladin and in gemming i wonder how much i should invest in Puissant Dream Emerald or Fractured Amberjewel. In my current gear I realize that's sometimes it's better to forget some slot bonus and put Fractured Amberjewel in it to reduce my damage intake. In other words, i think its hard to decide when it's better choose more mastery or mastery + stamina. What is your thought on this?
    Never miss a stam socket bonus. Unless you are ctc capped and dont need the extra avoidance/mitigation. For instance you have a red socket with a 15 stam bonus and you dont need the extra 20 parry because you have the 102.4 with only 20 mastery. 20 mastery 30 stam puissants not a bad idea. You will never have this occur most likely.

Just a little tip I use for tank fights like Baleroc, Aly, Ry, Shannox, Beth, Domo where I dont have an off tank taunting off me. Holy shield is off GCD so I just macro it to most of my skills. This allows for maximum up time. I have reached the 100% ctc so I always block or avoid meaning that I don't have to judge when to use it and it helps to smooth out incoming dmg even further. For spike dmg i just rotate Cds accordingly. Like for inferno blade i have my Divine Protection glyphed and such. Yes its nice to have in on CD for Tantrums in Aly but honestly if its not up by chance anyway I usually only have to deal with taking dmg from it once per hatchling and I can usually DG or AD it off so meh.

I don't recommend macroing damage reduction cooldowns to rotational abilities because sometimes it is not optimal.

For example at Alysrazor I like to hit the boss with abilities. However I want Holy Shield up for when I am actually tanking her, not just keeping the add from casting reignite. Or at Baleroc I might choose to delay Holy Shield so that I block the inferno strikes which ignore my armor. At Majordomo I might delay Holy Shield because he is about to jump, or transform via human phase in the next second or so, and thus 3-4 seconds of the duration would be wasted.

I also tend to forget that I am using a macro, and might forget to replace it for Ragnaros or Beth'tilak, where this could be very dangerous (beth heroic hits like a truck on steroids with a 50+ ton load travelling at 90 mph later in the fight, if you don't have something up when you taunt, you are v. likely to be dead within the next two seconds).

Generally speaking it is safer to not macro Holy Shield, plus it promotes better play if you force people to think about when it is better to use HS on cooldown and when it would be better to save it.

I mean I tank heroics and honestly 20% more dmg reductions nice but its not going to keep me alive if anything its my other 3 cds that you can use at any of those time. When you pick up Beth you should be popping DG or GAK. For instance a total health hit, say you have 200k hp is only 40k hp saved with HS and thats only if you are one shotted. That's not really game breaking if you ask me. Personally I think that's putting too much faith in HS. That's what you have trinkets and major cds for. For baleroc you should have DG glyphed for the inferno blades for the magic dmg reduction. I solo tank that fight and never have issue. I generally macro it to my DG or trinkets so that when i use them it goes off with them. I also have it macroed to my Judgementas well. I also like to dps on Aly during burn outs, but honestly with your hit and exp you aren't making a difference that is noticeable in dps seeing as most of the real damage is going out while shes in the air and the other dps for burn out, so i just don't judge. I guess I could remove it from my Judge and just hit it on cd and it would be the same thing which i had done previously. Honestly it all comes down to preference with that.

I can agree with your last statement though. It is safer not to macro it and it does promote better game play for people that are learning the class, but on most fights its better to use it on CD and use your major CDs for spike dmg even if you do miss out on 3-4 seconds of it here an there, because up time will be much more than if you horde it. More dmg reduced over all is better on healers mana than making it a 4th major CD when you already have more than most.
    Again that all comes down to preference.

I am in no way shape or form saying you are wrong. This is something i have been tinkering with and I'm just bouncing my ideas off you, and you seem to have a good head about ya. Cheers!
    Last edited by Gokusan; 08-28-2011 at 06:48 PM.