+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I want to become a better tank

I want to become a better tank

I need advice on becoming a better tank for raids and even for instances. If you can help, please do so! http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ridondk/simple is my armory link.

Blue sockests should be Puissant Dream emeralds
    Red sockets should be FIne Ember Topazs
    Yellow sockets should be Fractured amber jewels

Cloak enchant is missing, get the +armour one. Glove enchant should be mastery not expertise.

your general secondary stat priority should be:

Mastery>Dodge/Parry>expertise>hit>crit>haste

you're talents are a mess, and you're missing a prime glyph. Satorri has wittena very fine guide for DK tanking, i suggest reading it

Everything the above poster said, including reading Satorri's guide for sure.

Your talents are a little out of wack. Drop Nerves, Aboms Might, put 2 points in Icy Reach and grab LichBorne. LichBorne is bulky to use no doubt, but for raiding and even dungeons it can help you stay alive until another heal comes for you so practice using it.

Drop Unholy Command and grab Epidemic, your diseases staying up is more important than being able to taunt quicker.

I think you're okay running Stone Gargoyle, but make sure to keep your parryand dodge closer together so reforge some parry to dodge until they are closer.

Bedrock is a poor trinket, grind out TolBarad and get Mirror, it';s a great trinket to use for any magical damage and can be swapped with other trinkets. Symbiotic Worm goes well with it, as do the 378 trinkets when you get one. Magmaw is easy enough to kill now to get the Worm.

Can you list your rotation, or how you normaly start a pull, it'll help a lot. Make sure to use your cool downs wisely, they are the heart of the Death Knight, our ability to survive when all else fails. Getting your 4 piece would be huge, not sure how close you are to killing Nef or Cho'Gall.

A little more description of exactly where you are having trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Best bet also is find 2-3 healers you know to q with and tell them to forget everyone else and just keep you alive.

My rotation is simple. IT, DS, HS, RS. Rince and repeat. Pop cd's if taking too much damage.

Ur rotation isn't the best in the world simply because it shouldn't be a rotation. U should start with outbreak so u have frost fever and scarlet fever up keeping these up Is a priority DS whenever it's up and RS whenever it's up (DS takes priority)
    Mix in some CD's where appropriate to mitigate damage not if u are taking to much damage for example popping ams just as the magic phase starts will mitigate the damage instead of taking the damage getting low and poping icebound fortitude just to stay up make sure to use rune tap whenever it's up and using vampiric blood.
    Have a good view of the raid especially healers so u know if there is an issue u have to save rp for LB example the healer has to move out of fire or is dead. By good view I don't mean of the boss I mean rotate ur camera every now and again.
    Remember to prepot This Is dependent if u are comfortable with ur initial threat or not. If not use a golemsblood potion if u are comfortable it is more dependent on the boss.

TY for all the help. I've respeced and am working on getting the gems I need replaced and the enchants I need. Hopefuly I'll be downing some Cata raids soon! (My guild is a little behind on terms of raiding. Not enough people interested, I guess)

As Zee said, work on your priority, meaning what you do to handle certain things.

Pulling with Outbreak applies diseases, Frost Fever is a damage reduction debuff that helps reduce damage taken. You should be tracking that in some way, I use Fortxe but you can use Doc's Debug Rune (DDR). Try to refrain from using IT and PS, only when its advantageous, like to reapply diseases, never use it just to have something to press.

After diseases, you can use D&D, then Heart Strike, Death Strike Twice, Blood Tap, either Heart Strike or Death Strike depending which you need, threat or healz, Rune Strike or DRW to dump runic power. The key is to learn what you need to do, DRW is a damage mitigation as well, +20% added parry, and glyphed it adds threat. Do not forget to use Bone Shield, -20% damage taken is huge sometimes. At the start you will have Bone Shield up, when it goes away, use Vampiric Blood, when it fades DRW maybe or another one of your minor CD's. Save IBF for when you know you're going to take a huge burst of damage, or when a big pack has been aggro'd, or even when your healer has to re-position and cannot heal you.

Thing is there are many different ways to do some things in this game and that's why it's fun, pay attention to what and how you can make your healers job easy, then they can heal DPS that stand in fire and other things as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Best bet also is find 2-3 healers you know to q with and tell them to forget everyone else and just keep you alive.

^^ is realy good way of explaining it only thing I would add is if u have good threat and u have DRW just come off cd try and use it when outbreak is also of cd then u can pop DRW followed by outbreak and the boss will have diseases from ur outbreak and the weapons which will increase ur dps but only do the above if ur ok to wait a few seconds u don't want to wait for too long.

+ Reply to Thread