+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tank DPS and Health

Tank DPS and Health

Hi everyone,
    I have two questions about my protection warrior, Kaie.

The other day, after failing to take down the Foe Reaper in the Deadmines due to mediocre DPS, it was suggested to me that I was making too little damage, even for a tank. After testing on the dummies, I found that I was dealing about 3200 DPS self-buffed on a raid boss dummy, with 4200 a little more on the 85 dummy. After switching out a few pieces of equipment for my arms gear, it went up to about 4000 and 5100 respectively.

Now I know that DPS isn't the tank's objective and between taunt, stuns and threat bonuses, I have no real threat problems even against "good" damage dealers, but should the damage really be that low? I'm hesitant to switch out too many items for DPS equipment, especially since the gain doesn't seem that high in absolute numbers.

Anyway, second question. As you can see, I still have many stamina gems in use. I would like to replace them with mastery gems, but am unsure for how much health I should shoot. The guides I found always say "stack stamina until you have enough health to survive the biggest hits after mitigation". My guild is mainly running 10 man normal raids, cautiously venturing into firelands. With my current gear I am standing at about 160k health unbuffed. So how much lower can I go?

Foe reaper does not melee, thus you cannot dodge, Block, or parry his attacks, meaning you will rage starve, can't proc enrage or hold the line and thus destroys you're ability to DPS. The training Dummies are even worse since not only do they not melee, they don't attack at all. a true test of tank DPS is a patchwerk style tank and spank, BoT's Valiona and Theralion wass the best we can use in T11, minimal movement, high uptime on the boss, and hits fairly hard (or at least it used too), Shannox is probably better since it's pretty similair but hasn't been nerfed. You should be looking to getting 8-11kDPS.

Very few bosses hit for 160k. You can drop all of you stam gems for various mastery gems.

Great, thanks!

Last I checked as well str will also give you parry. I'm not saying to gem for it but just keep in mind that str adds parry.

+ Reply to Thread