+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Having trouble healing everyone in HC dungeons!

Having trouble healing everyone in HC dungeons!

I am a holy priest, and i try to heal in heroics. I always start of with Renew on the tank, and on those who need heals. And then i back up with Heals and Holy Word: Serenity. I use Flash Healx2 and the a Greater Heal on those with low health, but that just burns my mana. And while i do that, someone else drops even lower, and I have to focus on him/her. It's just an evil circle! Don't know what I'm doing wrong?
    Would been awesome if someone could help me out

I am not sure if the current gear you are wearing is your shadow set or your holy set as you logged out in shadow spec and are wearing shadow tier gear with holy tier gear. Going by the date of your level 85 achievement, it may just be a gear problem. As I said I am unsure what set you are currently in

I don't have much experience with holy, but I can tell you that a flash heal/greater heal heavy healing rotation on top of HW: S will eat your mana even more so at lower gear levels when MP5 gained from gear is still very low. You may want to remove your two points from Improved Power Word: shield and then place these two points into Mental Agility. If you are constantly running in Chakra: Sanctuary, you may want to swap back and forth between Chakra: Serenity. Sanctuary is a great AE healing tool whereas Serenity can provide more single target healing benefits, as well as automatically refreshing renew (if you manage it properly). Swap between the two Chakra states appropriate. Use Heal as much as possible when you are able to as it is your most mana efficient healing spell and can you even gain mana while casting it at higher gear levels. When someone is about to die use a single flash/greater heal and if you know they will not take damage within a short time span you can then spam Heal on them to conserve mana.

Until I see your healing set I can't be of much more help, the only thing I can add is Core of Ripeness is a great healing trinket for very little justice points. If you can afford to buy the darkmoon trinket that will be a great addition as well. Lastly, stacking shadow fiend + Hymn of Hope is a great way to combine both effects as shadow fiend restores mana based on total mana pool, and Hymn of Hope increases your mana by a significant amount.
    Last edited by Mits˙; 07-23-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Stat?

I also wonder which stat that is most important for holy priest, or healing in general. Because there is many videos that say to focus on different stats, and i just become confused.
    Need help

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    int and spirit are your strongest stats as holy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

Intellect and spirit are your strongest stats as Toushiro stated. As for secondary stats i am unsure at the moment with the recent changes to critical heals but i believe it is haste > mastery > crit this may only be true up till 12.5% haste raid buffed (extra renew tick) and then mastery becomes better. I currently run a mastery heavy set for disc (primarily tank healing) and do pretty decent numbers with that gear set while running holy for AOE heavy dmg fights when we have a holy paladin available for tank healing.

And while i do that, someone else drops even lower, and I have to focus on him/her. It's just an evil circle! Don't know what I'm doing wrong?
    One thing about healing is learning to recognize "dangerous" damage versus just plain old "distracting" damage.

A_rogue_5262 might take some damage and his health bar looks low, but it doesn't mean you need to "focus fire" heals on him. Especially when you know the damage output of the fight. (Ex. The boss does an AE every 45 seconds that knocks everyone to 50% hp, but he doesn't have any cleaves or anything else. So you know you don't need to be in panic mode when you see all the melee drop to 50%, just throwing some HoT's or small heals or whatever you priests do will be fine.)

It's very important to learn how to judge that prioritization and heal the important targets accordingly while leaving smaller/passive healing to take care of the unimportant stuff.

Healing a heroic pug is often very challenging, as the quality of the pug varies greatly. Get Recount and take a look at DPS and Damage taken after a couple trash pulls. A newly minted 85 DK that puts out 4K dps and stands in the fire just isn't worth the mana it'll take to keep him alive, particularly since all players will likely need some love at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by iggychet View Post
    Healing a heroic pug is often very challenging, as the quality of the pug varies greatly. Get Recount and take a look at DPS and Damage taken after a couple trash pulls. A newly minted 85 DK that puts out 4K dps and stands in the fire just isn't worth the mana it'll take to keep him alive, particularly since all players will likely need some love at some point.
    I personally don't agree with this. Getting recount to see a snapshot of most of what your group is doing is a good thing but allowing one of your pug dps (who just dinged 85 and might be trying their butt off for all you know) die to some mechanics that he hasn't quite figured out yet is not something that I suggest doing. You might be seeing this dk in a lot of your random heroics cause the WoW community really isn't that big... I see the same people sometimes and I recognize it. They recognize me as a healer or tank, or the warlock standing off to the side. Communicating to your group would be better than this.

Taking the example given by iggy, if you happen to know the playstyle of that spec of dk, throw some advice in a whisper to that dps. If he's doing something blatantly wrong (i.e. your shaman being the only dispeller in a HoO group and never dispelling the buff off of the big trash guy), mention that. What makes them better will make your run smoother, therefore saving you mana on unnecessary heals.

Now, if that group member that you provided the suggestions to does not take them or even lashes out at you, by all means drop him from your "save his ass" list. Just don't assume that everyone will be like this.

More than a bit late to the conversation, but I have some input in case another holy priest out there ends up having similar issues and comes across this thread. As was mentioned about your gear, hopefully since posting this you've been able to get more holy specific gear.. if you're still confused as to what you should be going for, I can tell you that you want all your pieces to have INT/SPI/STA with either Haste or Mastery. If a really good piece drops that has those three stats but Crit instead, go ahead and need on it if it's better than what you're wearing.. you can always reforge the Crit into something you need. However, I only suggest needing on it if it's truly better than what you're wearing.

Now onto the 'good' stuff. :P First, when I go into a pug, if I see the DPS taking massive amounts of damage during trash pulls, it usually means they're not targeting the same mob as the tank, thus making it harder for the tank to keep aggro. Sure, a GOOD tank should be able to keep aggro thru all that, but it's highly possible you pulled a newbie tank that's just trying to get his tank on. Or, as I see a LOT, you pulled a DK PvPer who doesn't know crap about tanking and just wanted an easy and quick queue time. I never understood why my friends immediately inspected the tank upon entering an instance.. until I started pulling PvP tanks. A quick inspection of your tank will tell you a LOT. A warrior/pally/druid/DK without dodge/parry/etc. on their gear or in lots of +resilience is going to mean a lot of headache and OOM for you as the healer. However, let's get back to your DPS that's taking lots of damage. Ask the tank if he could mark the groups before hand or suggest that the DPS use target of target or assist. If they give you attitude or flack and they STILL end up taking craploads of damage, whether it's from standing in shit or putting their face into the cleave for a good shave, it is in your right to simply say 'Sorry guys, I'll heal you as best I can, but I just can't heal stupidity.' (I've said this a lot when entering a heroic.) Your priority needs to be on the tank and yourself, the DPS come second. In most cases, you'll see a change in the group if you nicely put out these suggestions.. if you see no change and there's a very specific DPS that's really giving you grief, let him die. After dying a few times, he might get the picture. Repair bills can be HUGE eye openers for folks. :P It then becomes up to you if you want to rez him after that. I usually tell them to run their stupid ass back.. unless someone else in the group can rez, then I just let them do it. I've been kicked for being a bitch like that, but as a healer, your queue time is still faster than a DPS and you might get lucky and pull an experienced group the next time you go in.

Now onto your healing rotation. The first thing you want to do is focus your tank. Then remember that as a holy priest that's healing in a 5-man, you're going to spend 85% of your time in Serenity Chakra. This is the best state to be in when your focus is on a single target. (ie, the tank) Hit the Chakra button, slap a renew on your tank, then spit out a heal and you're in that state. Simple. You should then be able to spend 75% of your time just hitting heal on your tank. Remember to also keep your HW:Serenity on cooldown. (This is where the focus'd tank comes into play.) It will increase your chance of proc'ing a crit heal by 25%, as well as healing the tank for a nice little 10k bump. If a DPS takes a bit of damage, you slap a heal on them and then the heal plus the ticks from your Echo of Light should get them into an acceptable range. If everyone is taking damage due to an AOE of some kind, you should throw out a Prayer of Mending then you use Binding Heal on the tank (this heals you and the tank) which should proc your Prayer of Healing to cast faster, so you hit that and possibly hit Circle of Healing if you think everyone is still a little too low. This is going to be situational, but if you have a somewhat decent group, it should be fine. If the tank is taking more damage than you'd like, but it's not really flash heal damage, use Greater Heal instead of Heal. Ultimately, what spell to use and when to use it is up to you, and only you can decide this.

If you're going into a fight where you KNOW everyone is going to be taking a lot of AOE damage, you should change your Chakra to Sanctuary. You hit the Chakra button and throw out a Prayer of Mending and you're done. Being in that state makes your AOE heals more effective, as well as allowing you to use HW:Sanctuary. You'll spend a lot of time using Binding Heal on the tank (or lowest hp person in group) so that it can proc your Prayer of Healing. If you're the only one NOT taking any damage, you can use Flash Heal to proc PoH also, but if you've taken any damage, the better spell to use is Binding. If at one point only the tank is taking massive damage, don't just sit and spam Flash Heal (omg, it's SO easy to just sit there clicking on it while panicking and doing the 'please dont die' dance in your chair) remember that Flash Heal also procs Greater Heal to cast faster, not just PoH to cast faster. So you would go back and forth 'Flash, Greater, Flash, Greater'. Just make you still have a renew ticking away on that tank.

At this point, you might be around 12k mana and about to completely freak out that you're going to go OOM. Usually I will do this around 15-25k mana: I throw out a Prayer of Mending, cast my Shadowfiend and my Hymn of Hope. Yep, at the same time. Remember, Hymn of Hope is channeled, so you have to stand there casting it for the whole duration in order to get any benefit from it.. the Prayer of Mending can bounce around and hopefully allow you to channel the full duration of HoH. So cast your Shadowfiend FIRST, then channel HoH. This combo cast should get you anywhere from 30% to 80% of your maximum mana back. There are a lot of other factors, but the combo of casting these two together, is that Shadowfiend gives you 3% of your maximum mana per attack, and HoH raises your maximum mana by 15% as well as restoring it. Thus, giving you more mana back. You should also use your Divine Hymn (it's similar to the druids tranquility) immediately after if everyone in the group took buttloads of damage while you tried to get some mana back. Divine Hymn is also a channeled spell.. so remember to stand still and let it cast for the whole duration so you can reap all the benefits.

A lot of playing a holy priest is simply figuring out how to make it work for YOU. I can't tell you how long I sat around feeling like a fail healer. I cried and refused to do heroics and pouted.. a lot. Most of this I can put on my addons tbh. Once I changed from using a Grid/HealBot combo to a Vuhdo/Grid combo, my healing became easier, more focused and I wasn't stumbling around wondering wtf to do. This isn't to say that Vuhdo is the best healing addon, it's really good and I currently swear by it (Same as Aliena swears by Grid.. heh.) but the best addon for you, is the one that you just click and go and it makes you feel like you're flying. No matter what addon you may choose, you WILL get a bit of tunnel vision on that, so make sure it's visually appealing.. and I highly suggest getting the addon GTFO, because once that tunnel vision starts, you may not notice that YOU are standing in fire yourself.

Good luck with future heroics and I hope some of these tips helped. ^_^
    Last edited by Pirika-Draenor; 10-07-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Updated Information/Changed some wording

Quote Originally Posted by Crittable View Post
    I personally don't agree with this. Getting recount to see a snapshot of most of what your group is doing is a good thing but allowing one of your pug dps (who just dinged 85 and might be trying their butt off for all you know) die to some mechanics that he hasn't quite figured out yet is not something that I suggest doing. You might be seeing this dk in a lot of your random heroics cause the WoW community really isn't that big... I see the same people sometimes and I recognize it. They recognize me as a healer or tank, or the warlock standing off to the side. Communicating to your group would be better than this.

Taking the example given by iggy, if you happen to know the playstyle of that spec of dk, throw some advice in a whisper to that dps. If he's doing something blatantly wrong (i.e. your shaman being the only dispeller in a HoO group and never dispelling the buff off of the big trash guy), mention that. What makes them better will make your run smoother, therefore saving you mana on unnecessary heals.

Now, if that group member that you provided the suggestions to does not take them or even lashes out at you, by all means drop him from your "save his ass" list. Just don't assume that everyone will be like this.
    This, a thousand times this.

My main is a healer, and I get impatient with people who just don't listen and don't even try. But I try not to assume things because recently I learned something. I levelled a warrior, my first melee class ever. I'm not a newbie, this was about my fifth character but the melee experience totally threw me. I found it limited my vision to be so close to mobs, and I repeatedly stood in stuff for much longer than I should have. Some healers were plain rude and simply let me die, even when they were at full mana and nobody else particularly low on health. Some yelled at me. It was a nightmare and very frustrating because by heck, I was TRYING, I was trying so dang hard.

So, cut people a little slack in your approach. As they say, a little kindness goes a long way. There *are* some hopeless cases but they are fewer than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by Crittable View Post
    I personally don't agree with this. Getting recount to see a snapshot of most of what your group is doing is a good thing but allowing one of your pug dps (who just dinged 85 and might be trying their butt off for all you know) die to some mechanics that he hasn't quite figured out yet is not something that I suggest doing. You might be seeing this dk in a lot of your random heroics cause the WoW community really isn't that big... I see the same people sometimes and I recognize it. They recognize me as a healer or tank, or the warlock standing off to the side. Communicating to your group would be better than this.<br>
    <br>
    Taking the example given by iggy, if you happen to know the playstyle of that spec of dk, throw some advice in a whisper to that dps. If he's doing something blatantly wrong (i.e. your shaman being the only dispeller in a HoO group and never dispelling the buff off of the big trash guy), mention that. What makes them better will make your run smoother, therefore saving you mana on unnecessary heals.<br>
    <br>
    <br>This, a thousand times this.<br><br>My main is a healer, and I get impatient with people who just don't listen and don't even try. But I try not to assume things because recently I learned something. I levelled a warrior, my first melee class ever. I'm not a newbie, this was about my fifth character but the melee experience totally threw me. I found it limited my vision to be so close to mobs, and I repeatedly stood in stuff for much longer than I should have. Some healers were plain rude and simply let me die, even when they were at full mana and nobody else particularly low on health. Some yelled at me. It was a nightmare and very frustrating because by heck, I was TRYING, I was trying so dang hard.<br><br>So, cut people a little slack in your approach. As they say, a little kindness goes a long way. There *are* some hopeless cases but they are fewer than you think.

Yes--as a Disc priest healer, who also has a dps Warrior, I've had the same experience--often during the very first trash pull, in a dungeon...the last time, it was a poor pull, on the part of the tank, and the healer drew aggro. I immediately tried to pull the mob off that healer, and we managed to get all five mobs down, but very messily.

The healer went in to a full rant, flaming me for being an idiot, and stating they would not be healing me, for the rest of the encounter! Ok, well, I stayed around, long enough to make sure that healer died, from his own inability, before I left group.

Bad time? Yes...but, as a healer, I would have to be provoked, much more than that, to ever flame someone, or not heal them.

If it's simply undergeared, or inexperienced players, as a healer, I consider it a challenge, to see if I can keep them up...it can be more interesting than running through with overgeared players, sometimes...really!
    -"Just like a buzzin' fly, I come into your life, I'll float away, like honey in the sun..."--Tim Buckley

+ Reply to Thread