+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Protection Warrior twinking

Protection Warrior twinking

Hi everyone, I'm a fairly new player to WoW but not MMO's. I have a 362 Prot Warrior Tank and am in the process of trying to twink my character the best I can. Therefore, I am just looking for any guidance or help that you may think will be useful for me currently or in the near future. I have read many forums thus far and am looking for things that I may have overlooked and/or missed.

Here is a link to my current gear set up: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...fighter/simple.

As you can see I am mastery stacked. One of the things that has been troubling me if the calculation of the 102.4% avoidance + block. With the way that I calculate this percentage, (which is adding dodge % + parry % + block % and lastly adding the shield block value) I get 102.12%, however from reading the forums I believe I am missing the calculation of the base 5% and maybe also my Elusiveness as a Night Elf (not sure on that one). If one or both of these things do account in the equation, what would be the a good path to take in forms of reforging/enchanting and gemming? Would I take out some + 40 mastery gems and add the +20 mast and +30 stam gems in and get the extra gem buff from my waist?

I do not want to make this post too long nor ask too many questions. So i will say a few more things and will wait for any comments.

I know i messed up on my Meta Gem, Leg Enchant. I also know that my Chest enchant and Weapon enchant are not ideal (due to having holes in my pockets.. lots of raiding).

I know I messed up on getting rid of the 365 back piece and swapped it out for the 378 back. As far as I know, since i sold the piece to a vendor, I cant get that 365 piece back... oops!

Is there a mastery cap for warriors... cause all I have seen on the forums is people talking about it but not actually reading what the cap is. 20 mastery? 21 mastery? Im a little confused there.

I currently use Flask of Steelskin for raiding and Healing pots. I recently discovered that Earthen Potions are much better and pulling with a golemblood pot. I agree with this however, I am still concerned with replacing my flask: what other flasks/combination of elixirs is recommended?

I am mostly looking for clarification on my 102.4% 'unhittable' status and how I can better adjust my character to this. Is it possible for to hit the cap without shield block... maybe with a few more gear items?

I realize I am asking too many questions and do not expect answers for all of them. I am just looking for some other opinions on how I can be a better tank for raid bosses.

Thank you.

Firstly, maybe its just me, but when i read the thread title i thought the post regarded something completely different. For me the term "twinking" reffers to experience locking a toon at a level lower then max and filling him with best in slot items for pvp.
    As i dont play a warrior (paladin here), ill overview a few questions i think i can help without entering specifics as other forum viewers might cover them best.

"which is adding dodge % + parry % + block % and lastly adding the shield block value)"
    I didint quite understand what you did here, but i beleive it is incorrect. You seem to have stated to add block twice, once the percentage and then the value. This makes no sense at all. Full combat table coverage (or unhittable) would be pushing unmitigated hits off the combat table, and the amount blocked does not affect this calculation.
    As mentioned in other posts, your total combat table coverage is 5% miss+dodge% + parry% + block% (i think NE get a +2%, im shaky on that though). Note that this percentages must be added alweys *after* DR.
    Your CTC is roughly around 84% (i did the math by head, so it surely is inprecise).
    Note that at your item level, as a warrior, it is *impossible* to acheiv "unhittable" (first thing that tipped me you were calculating wrong), but this does not affect the value of mastery.
    There is no mastery cap. Mastery is not affected by diminishing returns and hence why we (warriors and paladins) stack it.
    it loses some value however for warriors once you acheiv 102.4% table coverage (all to paladins since we dont crit block).

As to consumables, with experience you will learn to switch to the most apropriate acordingly to fights.
    Steelskin flasks are alweys nice. Progression raiders often opt for more expensive use of elixirs (used up on each wipe). This is detail to some extent, if your raiding casualy i consider just poping a flask fine.
    If your interested in the extent of options i raid with stacks of
    -elixirs of the master (mastery elixir) - to hit ctc (paladins hit it before warriors).
    -prismatic elixirs (magic damage)
    -the armor ones you mentioned (deep earth?)
    -elixir of the naga (expertise - boost dps/threat- im only using these on alysrazor atm)
    -varied food buffs (expertise/stamina, mastery/stamina, dodge/stamina).
    -varied potions (golenblood, armor pots, health pots, magic resistance pots)
    Chosing which to use depends largely on the boss you are about to fight. More magic damage fights might need some extra magic resistance consumables, largely phisical damage fights point to mastery/armor.
    Personaly i havent felt need to prepot golemblood on most pulls.

Just adding a link for a nice explanation on the combat table (look for the post by Quinafoi):
    http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.php?76661-Crit-block-and-combat-table-coverage

A
    t last i took a second look at your armory and as well as the details you mentioned yourself (get windwalk, etc etc), I strongly suggest you get rid of the bedrock talisman. Quite a few regular dungeon trinkets are better then that. Aditionaly, your using three dps pieces. Although i find it forgivable since you chose the ones with mastery on them, its alweys best to try to substitute these as soon as possible for pieces with better itemization.

Quote Originally Posted by Elfighter View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm a fairly new player to WoW but not MMO's. I have a 362 Prot Warrior Tank and am in the process of trying to twink my character the best I can. Therefore, I am just looking for any guidance or help that you may think will be useful for me currently or in the near future. I have read many forums thus far and am looking for things that I may have overlooked and/or missed.
    As has been covered, you can't twink at 85. Twinking in WoW refers to keeping your character at a certain level (max in one of the PvP tiers) and getting him geeked out with the best gear you can at a sub-end-game level.

As you can see I am mastery stacked.
    362 item level with less than 50% block means you've been unlucky in getting drops or you've been taking drops at the expense of mastery. A few things would be grabbing a mastery trinket like Mirror of Broken Images instead of Bedrock, though Mirror isn't as valulable in normal modes as it was in T11. Looking for gear that has native mastery on it, rather than having to rely on reforging.

One of the things that has been troubling me if the calculation of the 102.4% avoidance + block. With the way that I calculate this percentage, (which is adding dodge % + parry % + block % and lastly adding the shield block value) I get 102.12%, however from reading the forums I believe I am missing the calculation of the base 5% and maybe also my Elusiveness as a Night Elf (not sure on that one).
    Your combat table coverage, CTC, is your Dodge + Parry + Block + Base Boss Chance to Miss, and in your case +Elusiveness.

Your character sheet shows you as having 12.49% dodge + 14.71% parry + 49.92% block + 5% base chance to miss + 2% ellusiveness means that before any addtional buffs, you have 84.12% / 102.4% CTC. Buffs like MotW and Battle Shout and food and elixers will up this, but right now you have roughly 84% CTC covearge, meaning roughly 16% of all incoming melee attacks will be full, unmitigated hits.

If one or both of these things do account in the equation, what would be the a good path to take in forms of reforging/enchanting and gemming? Would I take out some + 40 mastery gems and add the +20 mast and +30 stam gems in and get the extra gem buff from my waist?
    Until you get closer to 102.4, you're going to be better off gemming for the bonus if it's a tanking bonus. Once you get close to 102.4 and the probablity of a full hit coming in is almost zero and the probability of multiple unblocked hits in a row coming in is almost zero, then switching to full mastery to finish it off will be better as long as you keep enough health for any magic burst, but at least in normal mode there doesn't seem to be much, so you shoudl be safe.

I know i messed up on my Meta Gem, Leg Enchant. I also know that my Chest enchant and Weapon enchant are not ideal (due to having holes in my pockets.. lots of raiding).
    The only 'bad' enchant I see is legs, which you haven't updated post 4.2 (as agility only gives crit now). I'd suggest running dailies, they are a great source of cash. If you have alts you can transmute on, on my server 359 crafted DPS chest is still going for 7k+, so there are some way to make some cash when you find you have some free time.

Is there a mastery cap for warriors... cause all I have seen on the forums is people talking about it but not actually reading what the cap is. 20 mastery? 21 mastery? Im a little confused there.
    There is no mastery cap that is obtainable. Early on you were 'soft' capped when CTC = 77.4 because SB would give you enough additional block to hit 102.4 for it's 10 second uptime.

After that, when you hit 102.4% CTC mastery won't give you any additional regular block, but will give you additional crit block (the point you hit 102.4 will be different for everyone, so there is no universal 'cap').

I can't remember who posted it, but someone posted that 50% crit block is ~3000 rating, and full 100% crit block is ~6000 rating. 3000 may be obtainable at some point, but the 'hard' cap of 6000 rating is really not.

This means it's going to be up to your gear, your raid, and your experience to figure out how to balance additional crit block versus dodge/parry. Probably going to end up with 2 sets, a threat set which has low levels of parry/dodge on it with lots of mastery, while maintaining 102.4 for the most possible blocks and therefore rage and therefore threat/damage, and an avoidance set, where you trade out mastery for dodge and parry while maintining 102.4.

I currently use Flask of Steelskin for raiding and Healing pots. I recently discovered that Earthen Potions are much better and pulling with a golemblood pot. I agree with this however, I am still concerned with replacing my flask: what other flasks/combination of elixirs is recommended?
    Typically you either flask steelskin or you elixir the mastery elixir and then either the armor elixir or magic resistance elixir based on the fight you are doing.

I'm not sure Earthen is worth it. I'm thinking of switching over to healing pots because I'm not in trouble for a long period of time, it's usually only when something happens and it's bursts. But that's my experience with my raid and our healers, where I'm concerned more with burst moments than extended.

I am mostly looking for clarification on my 102.4% 'unhittable' status and how I can better adjust my character to this. Is it possible for to hit the cap without shield block... maybe with a few more gear items?
    102.4 = block capped. Unhittable refers to when Burning Crusades was the end game and rogues, with the right gear and buffs could hit 102.4 through dodge/parry/miss, truely becoming 'unhittable'. As sheild tanks, we can only really become block capped, where we can guarantee every incoming attack that can be mitigated is mitigated, so you don't take any full hits unless they are intended (Decimation Blade is an example where absorbs where, but I've not seen a 'block' on it).

I realize I am asking too many questions and do not expect answers for all of them. I am just looking for some other opinions on how I can be a better tank for raid bosses.
    That's what we're here for. I spent months in ICC asking basic question after basic question to learn. Thankfully Mel and Aggy and others were quite patient with me
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Unhittable used to mean 102.4 avoidance+block back in the days of Wrath when it could be achieved easily by Pallies who had 100% Holy shield uptime. at some point in Cata it changed to not include tanks. Meh semantics, almost as bad as paladins.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Unhittable used to mean 102.4 avoidance+block back in the days of Wrath when it could be achieved easily by Pallies who had 100% Holy shield uptime. at some point in Cata it changed to not include tanks. Meh semantics, almost as bad as paladins.
    Pallies and Warriors could create an unhittable set in Wrath couldn't they? With gear from Naxx10 up to ICC being hodge-podged together? That was the standard operating procedure for Heroic Anub tanking - block tanks with an unhittable set?
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Pallies could do it all the bloody time once you got some tier 9 gear as Holy shield was +30% block chance and was kept up at all times, you had over 10% miss chance thanks to def rating we had to stack close to 50% avoidance and then smaybe 15 actual block from gear.

Warriors it was quite alot more difficult and generall revolved around chaining shieldblock with specific trinket uses to while the adds where up.

Logan's post right there is one of the more useful one's I've seen on Tankspot. Pretty much everything you need to know is right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Pallies could do it all the bloody time once you got some tier 9 gear as Holy shield was +30% block chance and was kept up at all times, you had over 10% miss chance thanks to def rating we had to stack close to 50% avoidance and then smaybe 15 actual block from gear.
    Holy Shield had 8 charges back then, after they were gone you were missing the block chance (4 Nerubian Burrowers ate through those in about a second.) You needed passive unhittable for that encounter, just like warriors did.

+ Reply to Thread