+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need some input on dodge/parry VS mastery. Confused because of fellow DK tank advice

Need some input on dodge/parry VS mastery. Confused because of fellow DK tank advice

Hello,

After browsing various sites about blood DK reforging and gem stacking I'm under the impression you should either go for avoidance or mastery. I'm also under the impression one should try to even out dodge and parry.

I've been adviced from a friend about my blood DK reforging and gem stacking.
    The following link is his build: Linky.

As you can see, he's very heavy on Parry and Stamina stacking.

20.44 % parry
    11.84 % dodge
    15.26 % mastery

Is this advice I should listen to?
    Alot of stuff I've been reading specifically says stamina stacking is a nono.

Also, if you choose the mastery route, does that mean every gem should be +40 mastery?

No offense intended, but I don't think your friend knows his stuff particularly well. Bone Shield and Will of the Necropolis are both extremely important survival talents, while Blood-Caked Blade is an extremely weak threat talent. Abomination's Might and the third point in Scent of Blood are extremely questionable as well.

http://www.wowhead.com/talent#jcGr0sMruszG0obZ0b:Ro0akR <--- what I use on my Deathtard (it's pretty cookie-cutter)

You do want to keep Parry and Dodge relatively equal, but I wouldn't worry too much about getting them perfect - many times you wind up with Parry higher than Dodge anyways just due to how much you get from the STR on your gear.

As far as Mastery vs. Stam vs. Avoidance, Mastery is typically the way to go in 5-mans and relatively easy content at least in my experience (and if there's something my DK is familiar with, it's easy content!). Stam and avoidance are both solid too, but Mastery usually trumps them. Your mileage may vary - to be honest, DK stats are a huge clusterf... I mean, mess.

Just backing up what Sebadoh's saying. That linked spec looks closer to some non-viable Blood DPS build than something for tanking non-trivial content.

I don't think every gem should be 40 mastery, at some point avoidance will work better, until another point, etc. more avoidance means Bone shield lasts longer giving you more passive damage reudction as well as extending the duration of your blood shield, but how valuable that is is dependant on the size of your bloodshield. askmrrobot.com probably isn't too bad a tool for working out what gems you should put where, in a general non-encounter specific setup

Thanks both

I'd link my build but I just realised I logged yesterday in my frost DPS gear/spec, and I'm at work atm.
    Right now im a little over 20% mastery (i've gone pure mastery gemming), while dodge and parry sit between 11 and 13 %. Is that 20% mastery to much?

I doubt it.

+ Reply to Thread