+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Warrior/Pally Macro Questions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    44

    Warrior/Pally Macro Questions

    Don't know a lot of sites that are nice and don't have to many elitist people on them trolling. So thought I'd ask here for advice.

    I'm looking for 3 specific War macros any other macros that are helpful I will take and add to my bar. (Arms Warrior BTW)

    Shield Wall Macro
    Spell Reflect Macro
    A decent rend/hamstring combo macro (a combo of attacks that can be reset with the MS skill so I only have to hit one key to apply them first)

    I made macros when I played Rift and then quit. But Rift and WoW macros are way different in my opinion and seem more complex in WoW. So thats the reason why I'm asking for macro help. Also if there are any other decent macros that are a must have in arena or RBG please list them.

    Secondly if there are any. ANY Paladin macros that are of great use for Arena or RBG I would love them. (Holy and Ret only) Any macros you guys or girls have would be really appreciated.

    Thank you very much.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WI, USA
    Posts
    2,614
    I'd recommend reading my old blog post.

    Macros serve a purpose and I don't believe you are defining your requirements clearly enough for someone to provide you with a macro of value. You need to understand the workings of your class and what purposes can be filled by macros.

    For example...
    Quote Originally Posted by Killa162 View Post
    Shield Wall Macro
    That tells us nothing about what the macro would do other than use Shield Wall. In it's simplest form this comes down to just the following macro.
    Code:
    /cast Shield Wall
    However, this macro is no different than simply dragging the spell out of your spellbook and putting it on your action bar directly. So this macro isn't serving any actual purpose. An example of something that may be more useful would be if you are a DPS warrior a macro to swap to defensive stance, equip sword and board, and activate shield wall as a sort of emergency DPS tanking situation. A macro for something like that may look like this:
    Code:
    /cast [equiped:shields] Shield Wall
    /equipset SwordAndBoard
    /cast [nostance:2] Defensive Stance
    The big difference there is this macro is designed to serve a particular purpose. A warrior that is not normally tanking put into a situation where they need to tank.

    A macro needs a purpose, my blog post outlines what type of purposes macros can fulfill. Figure out what you need and then we can help you.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 07-22-2011 at 08:14 AM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    44
    Okay so what I need for the Warrior Macros are...

    Shield Wall Macro that casts shield wall when I am a Arms warrior for a defensive cooldown.

    Spell Reflect Macro also in DPs warrior form and need to switch to reflect a big inc spell in Arena or BG's etc..

    And also a disarm macro from a DPS warrior standpoint so I can switch to disarm a rouge and go back into DPS mode and have the advantage.

    And lastly a charge + hamstring + rend macro that will charge the target, hamstring then rend so it can all be binded in one button or... just do hamstring and rend cause charge cuz be used by it self to get back on target and maybe u won't need to reapply those affects.

    One last macro that I have on my mind. Swifty uses this macro and showed it in one of his videos but I can't find the video. But its a macro that when you hit Heroic Leap it automatically casts it in one mouse press on where ur mouse is hovering at. For example, your mouse is at max distance for Heroic Leap.. you cast the macro and you don't have to click on the ground to actually leap. It does that function for you. So basically you put ur mouse where u want to go and hit the macro and bam u leaped. No clicking required.

    As for the Paladin macros, I'm not that familiar with any type of Arena or RBG macros for a paladin. So if there are any that really just stand out and are really "needed" then please tell me cause I got no clue. I need both holy and Retadin macros.

    Thank you.
    Last edited by Killa162; 07-22-2011 at 09:29 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WI, USA
    Posts
    2,614
    I may try to get back to your macro requests later, today I don't have much time. Perhaps someone else can assist you. I will however comment on the heroic leap one you mentioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by Killa162 View Post
    One last macro that I have on my mind. Swifty uses this macro and showed it in one of his videos but I can't find the video. But its a macro that when you hit Heroic Leap it automatically casts it in one mouse press on where ur mouse is hovering at. For example, your mouse is at max distance for Heroic Leap.. you cast the macro and you don't have to click on the ground to actually leap. It does that function for you. So basically you put ur mouse where u want to go and hit the macro and bam u leaped. No clicking required.
    This is not a World of Warcraft macro (in fact it is actually impossible in World of Warcraft alone with today's supported syntax), but a hardware macro. You require specialized equipment and software to execute hardware macros. You also have to be careful when using hardware assisted macros as they can potential be violating the terms of use. In this particular instance I believe it would not be considered an acceptable use since it still requires a hardware interrupt and it sends more than one.

    How this was accomplished was by actually binding a hardware interrupt to a key press immediately followed by two clicks with the key press associated with the appropriate keybinding in game.

    A common form of this type of hardware driven macro is when a keyboard has extra non-standard buttons like a G-15 keyboard has additional buttons and you bind those additional buttons to complex key combinations. For example, if you have a keybinding for Ctrl+5 and were to bind that to the G-5 button on a the G-15 keyboard, that is acceptable. Because modifiers like Ctrl, Alt, and Shift, do not act as independent interrupts but are used in combination with something else to send a single command to the game. Swifty's macro I believe is a violation of the rules because it sends more than one interrupt to the game when the user only presses one.

    You have to be careful however because this hardware and the software which supports it can also be used to automate commands and become a bot. That is a violation of the terms of use and a potential ban. You should always be careful with using hardware assisted macros because of this.

    I have said my oppinion, I believe Blizzard would view this particular use as a violation. However, I am not Blizzard, so with all hardware assisted macros you use it at your own risk.

    I believe this type of macro would be considered a violation of the terms of use, so my recommendation would be to not do it.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 07-22-2011 at 10:31 AM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    44
    Oh I don't have any special equipment anyways. AKA a Razer Naga or anything. But that's alright, when you have time. Not in any rush atm, but to have these macros would be very awesome.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WI, USA
    Posts
    2,614
    Sorry I couldn't try and answer all of the questions sooner, was just a very busy day for me. Anyway I'll try and clean up the open questions now.

    Quote Originally Posted by Killa162 View Post
    Okay so what I need for the Warrior Macros are...

    Shield Wall Macro that casts shield wall when I am a Arms warrior for a defensive cooldown.
    Shield Wall as it requires a shield but no actual stance changes would look something like this.

    Code:
    #showtooltip Shield Wall
    /equipset [noequiped:shields] SwordAndBoard
    /cast [equiped:shields] Shield Wall
    If you do not have a shield equipped, you will want to equip one. In this particular case an item set was created called "SwordAndBoard" which contains only the weapon and shield slots, do not save other item slots in this set since other slots can't be swapped in combat. You can name the set however you like just change the set name in the macro. The second part of the macro is if you have a shield equiped you will cast Shield Wall. This may require multiple clicks in order for the macro to work but it is spamable until Shield Wall activates.

    It's possible you may want your macro to also switch you over to defensive stance as well. If that is the case then it would look more like this.

    Code:
    #showtooltip Shield Wall
    /equipset [noequiped:shields] SwordAndBoard
    /cast [equiped:shields] Shield Wall
    /cast [nostance:2] Defensive Stance
    This will swap you into Defensive Stance if you are not already in addition to the prior effects. This macro is also spammable because it will only do events until it reaches the desired state, you have a shield, you activate shield wall, and you are in defensive stance. Once all three of those are done the macro doesn't do anything further. Note however that if you have a macro which swaps stances you will want this macro to either appear in the same keybound position on any stance's action bar, or in an action bar which is not stance specific and doesn't swap with stance changes.

    Now that you have this macro however, it begs for a second macro to return you to your normal state.

    Code:
    #showtooltip Battle Stance
    /equipset [equiped:shields] DPSWeapons
    /cast [nostance:1] Battle Stance
    Something like this would work for swaping you back into Battle Stance and re-equiping your dps weapons if you have a second weapon only item set named "DPSWeapons". If you don't use a macro with stance swapping for the first part then you don't need a stance swap at the second part.

    Some more elaborate macros will actually try to sequence events, however in that circumstance the macro would not be spammable as it would force you to cycle through the sequence faster (i.e. if you keep pushing the button after you cast shield wall you'd unequip your shield).

    Quote Originally Posted by Killa162 View Post
    Spell Reflect Macro also in DPs warrior form and need to switch to reflect a big inc spell in Arena or BG's etc..
    Similar to the Shield Wall case, you require an item set which contains a shield and weapon to be swaped to easily. Assuming you're not using Berserker Stance you won't need a stance swap.

    Code:
    #showtooltip Spell Reflect
    /equipset [noequiped:shields] SwordAndBoard
    /cast [equiped:shields] Spell Reflect
    Again you will likely want a macro to easily return you to using your normal weapons.

    Code:
    /equipset [equiped:shields] DPSWeapons
    Alternatively you could also use the same version from the Shield Wall area which swaps into Battle Stance if you aren't already in it, in this case though since you never left it it isn't completely necessary.



    Quote Originally Posted by Killa162 View Post
    And also a disarm macro from a DPS warrior standpoint so I can switch to disarm a rouge and go back into DPS mode and have the advantage.
    Disarm requires a stance swap. In this case a castsequence may be ideal (so no spamming the button otherwise you may start the next sequence, you have to be deliberate).

    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /castsequence reset=target [nostance:2] Defensive Stance; [stance:2] Disarm, Battle Stance
    If you are not in Defensive Stance, the cast sequence is to only enter Defensive Stance. If you are, the sequence of events you want to occur is Disarm and then returning to Battle Stance. I don't use castsequences myself, in fact I try to avoid them, however I believe this syntax is correct. However, you won't want spam this button as it will result in you potentially swaping stances unnecessarily, you want to be very deliberate and only hit it 3 times. Additionally you want have this either in the same spot on all stance bars or in a bar which does not swap with stances.


    Quote Originally Posted by Killa162 View Post
    And lastly a charge + hamstring + rend macro that will charge the target, hamstring then rend so it can all be binded in one button or... just do hamstring and rend cause charge cuz be used by it self to get back on target and maybe u won't need to reapply those affects.
    Since both Hamstring and Rend are only on the GCD, this would mean some kind of cast sequence with a lot of Rends in it relative to a single Hamstring. I would not recommend using a macro in this case but using the abilities individually as needed (both abilities are spammable and can be used when needed instead of in a predetermined order only, afterall you wouldn't hamstring someone that's a hit from death).
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 07-23-2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: fixed spell reflect macro
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    Shield Wall as it requires a shield but no actual stance changes would look something like this.

    Code:
    #showtooltip Shield Wall
    /equipset [noequiped:shields] SwordAndBoard
    /cast [equiped:shields] Shield Wall
    If you do not have a shield equipped, you will want to equip one. In this particular case an item set was created called "SwordAndBoard" which contains only the weapon and shield slots, do not save other item slots in this set since other slots can't be swapped in combat. You can name the set however you like just change the set name in the macro. The second part of the macro is if you have a shield equiped you will cast Shield Wall. This may require multiple clicks in order for the macro to work but it is spamable until Shield Wall activates.

    It's possible you may want your macro to also switch you over to defensive stance as well. If that is the case then it would look more like this.

    Code:
    #showtooltip Shield Wall
    /equipset [noequiped:shields] SwordAndBoard
    /cast [equiped:shields] Shield Wall
    /cast [nostance:2] Defensive Stance
    Similar to the Shield Wall case, you require an item set which contains a shield and weapon to be swaped to easily. Assuming you're not using Berserker Stance you won't need a stance swap.

    Code:
    #showtooltip Shield Wall
    /equipset [noequiped:shields] SwordAndBoard
    /cast [equiped:shields] Spell Reflect
    So with the Shield Wall macro you have 2 versions. Whats the benefit of actually using the one with Defensive stance if using the Shield Wall macro really doesn't require a stance swap from Battle stance.

    Also with spell reflect macro. I don't have to have a stance swap for it to work? Cause the skill in the spell book says "Defensive stance" so do the macros like bypass that entirely so you don't have to stance swap? I'm just a little confused on why you have version of the macros without it and then you have a Shield Wall with it but you say I don't have to use that. So cold you explain it a little more of how it actually works without a stance swap.

    Thanks.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WI, USA
    Posts
    2,614
    Shield Wall is usable in any stance so long as you have a shield. However there are different reasons for a warrior to use this ability. In a PvP situation it is simply a way of mitigating extra damage. You may not want to do a stance swap in PvP. However, in PvE, a dps warrior may be doing this as a result of the tank dying and poping cooldowns and becoming a temporary tank themselves. Since at this point they are the tank, they would actually choose to stance swap to defensive stance for the extra defensive cooldowns and damage reduction. Macros serve a purpose, in this case the first is more of a PvP purpose while the second is more of a PvE purpose. It all comes down to the reason why you want to use Shield Wall.

    Spell Reflect is usable in Battle or Defensive Stance as far as I'm aware so assuming your normal stance is Battle then a stance swap wouldn't be necessary.

    Also looks like I need to fix some tooltips in my macros, my bad with copy and paste. I see a "#showtooltip Shield Wall" on a Spell Reflect macro. I fixed it in the original post.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    44
    Haha alright, I didn't copy them into WoW yet so no harm then .

    But if you have any more useful PvP macros for Arena or BG's please share. I am a macro newbie and would love macros to make my PvP life easier haha.

    Edit: So while shield wall is active do I have to have a shield out the whole time the skill is on? Or can I switch back and still have that mitigated dmg? And if I can't switch back to my DPS weapon, shouldn't I just use the defensive stance macro anyways to use the Defensive stance skills do put out dmg still while I'm under the affect of shield wall?
    Last edited by Killa162; 07-23-2011 at 05:43 PM. Reason: missed something to say

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WI, USA
    Posts
    2,614
    That I think is another reason you may want to swap stances. My highest warrior personally is level 10 so I don't know if the buff would fall off or not if you removed the shield, my thought is that it would.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,978
    you lose Shield Wall, Spell Reflect and shield Block if you de-equip your shield while they are up. You do not lose Spell Block however.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    You do not lose Spell Block however.
    Wait spell block?

    So in the end I should just use the macro with the stance switch and then fill up my bar with defense skills so I can still put out some dmg.

    Edit: Also Quin, for the Spell Reflect. Where would you put in a stance switch to defensive stance in the spell reflect macro to make it work. Cause if I take off my shield the effect will go away like Teng said. So where would I put the stance switch in at?
    Last edited by Killa162; 07-24-2011 at 12:33 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    44
    Okay incoming rage...

    First of all, I tried your macros out Quin and I tried the Shield Wall one first. And didn't work. So I looked at it with no macro knowledge at all and tweaked it from this...

    Code:
    #showtooltip Shield Wall
    /equipset [noequiped:shields] SwordAndBoard
    /cast [equiped:shields] Shield Wall
    /cast [nostance:2] Defensive Stance
    To this...
    Code:
    #showtooltip Shield Wall
    /equipset [equiped:shields] SwordAndBoard
    /cast [equiped:shields] Shield Wall
    /cast [nostance:2] Defensive Stance
    I took out the no in "noequiped" and then it worked. Then I was playing a BG and I went to pop my macro. Uh-OH! It dun work. So I go to a dummy afterwards and I pop my macro out of combat. It works.. I hit the dummy with auto attack and I try to hit macro now and doesn't work (waited the 5min for the CD to wear off). And I made sure my set and the set name in the macro were the same and they are cuz if it works out of combat then it works.. So something is wrong with that. So if something is wrong with that then theres something wrong with them all. OH and I tried the disarm macro, that dun work neither. It doesn't even switch to defensive stance to even start the macro...

    So all in all the macros are broken and don't either work in combat or at all. >.<
    RAWRRRRRRRRRRRRR

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WI, USA
    Posts
    2,614
    Did you save your set with only the sword and weapon? If you try and swap items other than those two it won't work. Only weapon slots can be swapped in combat.

    Also if you are using "equiped:shields" you are in fact saying "if I have a shield equiped, equip my set with a shield and sword". It has to be "noequipped:shields".

    My mistake wasn't the "no" but the missing second "p". Sorry I can't spell.

    Code:
    #showtooltip Shield Wall
    /equipset [noequipped:shields] SwordAndBoard
    /cast [equipped:shields] Shield Wall
    /cast [nostance:2] Defensive Stance
    Now provided the set is something that can be swapped to in combat then it should work. That means all other slots in that item set have to be marked as do not include in that set when it was saved.

    Quote Originally Posted by Killa162 View Post
    So where would I put the stance switch in at?
    You can basically have the Shield Wall and Spell Reflect macros be identical since you want both to stance swap, just switch which spell is used in the macro.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 07-24-2011 at 11:12 PM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    44
    Okay I made sure I had the sets correct. And yet even fixing them with your new code. They still don't work in combat and I have everything how it should be. I like quadruple checked it now. So they are not working unless I'm out of combat. Idk what else to do..

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    WI, USA
    Posts
    2,614
    The only thing that is specific to a combat versus non-combat situation is the equipment swapping. I'm not sure what the problem would be other than something else in the set other than the main hand and off hand. Even something like a talbard can't be swapped in combat. Not having a warrior myself I can't verify what is causing the issue but here are some possible things to try.

    Try swapping order.
    Code:
    #showtooltip Shield Wall
    /cast [equipped:shields] Shield Wall
    /cast [nostance:2] Defensive Stance
    /equipset [noequipped:shields] SwordAndBoard
    Alternatively we can try short circuiting the equipment command like this.
    Code:
    #showtooltip Shield Wall
    /cast [equipped:shields] Shield Wall
    /cast [nostance:2] Defensive Stance
    /stopmacro [equipped:shields]
    /equipset SwordAndBoard
    If that doesn't work you can try being even more direct where we don't use an item set but equip the specific items.
    Code:
    #showtooltip Shield Wall
    /cast [equipped:shields] Shield Wall
    /cast [nostance:2] Defensive Stance
    /stopmacro [equipped:shields]
    /equipslot 16 <YourOneHandedWeapon>
    /equipslot 17 <YourShield>
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    East Coast
    Posts
    44
    Okay what I did for each of my macros was do the /equipslot code and it fixed the problem for the in combat situation. Idk man, I had every slot on ignore on the sets for my DPS and swordandboard sets everything xept the weapon slots were on ignore. So I have no idea why it wasn't working in combat.

    But now ALL the macros work that I have asked for with doing that fix. I know ther people have told me they have used the set equip code to do it but idk. Not working for me haha.

    Anyways I was going to ask what characters do you own?

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts