+ Reply to Thread

Thread: TG vs SMF for 4.2

TG vs SMF for 4.2

Trying to get some insight on this as far as which would be better for this content patch. The T12 bonus leans towards TG because of RB. But I'm wondering if I wouldn't get a nice little dps increase by switching to SMF while gearing.

i was kinda thinkin about this to

for someone who doesnt plan on getting the 4 set bonus(since i only plan on doing heroics and not raids)im wondering if maybe whatever id like better would be the best way to go.im thinkin about getting 2 of the boa 1 hand maces and trying out smf cuz i heard it generates rage faster then tg but i dont know.i also heard that smf prioritizes slam and i know unless you use it on bloodsurge procs slam has a cast time,ive never really been a big fan of watching proc rotations(i hated playing frost dks because of that reason)

http://www.simulationcraft.org/420/Raid_T12H.html

TG and SMF are close enough that you play the one you like more.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

For clarification, I'm not leveling up. I meant from the standpoint of a 359+ geared warrior (it's my offspec so some pieces won't be of the BiS variety.)

Im pretty sure that choosing SMF vs TG still comes down to the quality of weapons you have access to; I was TG at the start of 4.2 because I had good 2H weapons from t11, however I switched to SMF as soon as I was able to get 2x Obsidium Cleavers from FL trash runs... because looking at what was available from boss drops, Im not going to want to go back to 2H weapons until I can get Sulfuras for my MH.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefius View Post
    Im pretty sure that choosing SMF vs TG still comes down to the quality of weapons you have access to; I was TG at the start of 4.2 because I had good 2H weapons from t11, however I switched to SMF as soon as I was able to get 2x Obsidium Cleavers from FL trash runs... because looking at what was available from boss drops, Im not going to want to go back to 2H weapons until I can get Sulfuras for my MH.
    well,from looking at heroics wise.it seems like as far as za and zg theres more dps 1 hand weapons then 2 hand so ya,maybe smf is the way to go
    Last edited by PimpJuice4; 07-17-2011 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steakdinner View Post
    For clarification, I'm not leveling up. I meant from the standpoint of a 359+ geared warrior (it's my offspec so some pieces won't be of the BiS variety.)
    Another factor to consider - I find SMF to be slightly more forgiving to play than TG. The smoother rage income makes it easier to recover from mistakes (like over eager heroic strike mashing, a natural habit of the prot warrior). As for the availability of weapons: the fact that the only 372+ strength 1 hander is BOE, while there are 3 raid boss drop BOP 2 handers is going to have different effects for different players. e.g.
    - if you are prepared to pay cash, getting 1 handers will be easiest
    - if you only want raid drops, getting 1 handers puts you in competition with mainspec SMF and Frost DKs in your raid group, while 2 handers puts you against ret paladins, unholy/blood dks, arms/tg warriors. How many of those you have determines competition
    - if you aren't fussy, there are some 365 craftable weapons coming with the molten front (first crafters should be getting access to patterns soon, but mats won't make these weapons super cheap)

The reason that TG will be slightly (a little more than it was in T11) ahead of SMF in T12 in equal gear for several small tradeoffs and two more noticeable advantages:

1. Higher 4-piece frequency
    2. Increased Crit% + Deep Wounds Damage Range

It is still viable to use SMF for the first part of the tier until the necessary gear is acquired (either at least 1 Zoid's 2H Sword or 4 piece) to make TG outperform consistently. Note that it will be much easier to acquire and upgrade the 1H weapons since they are BoE, and since the 2H weapons will also be desired by Ret paladins and DK's increasing competition for good 2H's.

With full BiS gear TG will be 7-9% higher DPS than SMF due to extra sockets and superior weapon choice. Getting a combination of 2 of either Zoid's or Sulfuras's quickly will be difficult unless your loot system favors you highly over other players.
    From Landsoul the authority on warriors.

i was just wondering or looking for some help to get better. Before this patch i was doing about 20k single target dps sustained or even 15k and now after this patch im doing 10k or 15k if im extremely lucky...15k in a 25 man, and i have better gear and everything...I was just wondering whats the better bet here...r what ive been doing wrong or if im just sucking. SMf gives an extra 20 percent damage. I just dont understand how im doing so much less dps...i was tops every group now im middle or bottom. Stormrage/Ceridion......fury warrior

+ Reply to Thread