+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My healing sucks now, Holy Pala asking for help.

My healing sucks now, Holy Pala asking for help.

Hey,

As the Title Suggests im not a great healer, but im not very proud either i can ask for help when i need it, and i really need it.

First of all i know that hps isnt the dogs nuts, if there is a kill people are generally happy, and i am too, but i have noticed that since patch, with a crit increase and mastery buff, i have dropped to last position on the healing meters, and honestly i cant figure out why.

I've put all i can into haste and spirit, and i use HL ALOT along with other spells as needed, now before i start this think tank, i want to say ty in advance for checking this thread out, and if there is something i missed, i would like it thrown in my face with great vengence and furious anger

I just cant figure out how i went from 1-2nd, to 7-8th on the healing meter, cuz im stumped and its come the forums for some professional analisis.

So here's my wol file for my last raid, whats missing, and why the hell aren't i doing as much healing done, as the other healers anymore?

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...ses&boss=52498

and here is my armory sheet,

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...eaper/advanced

Thing is there are other paladins out there doing alot more with alot less, and they all seem to have different styles of healing, and are doing alot more actual healing (inc HPS) and i would like to know what, if anything am i doing wrong, and / or any tips or advise for healing as a paladin that might bring my numbers up.

Also, i read alot on EJ, but it seems they nor anyone else have updated pages on holy palas for 4.2, which leads me to belive that nothing has really changed, and i do in fact just really suck at healing.

Thanks for reading

Well, for the log you linked, of course you're going to get owned on HPS on Beth'Tilac, which is primarily about spamming AoE heals (far from a Paladin's forte). It looks like you were just spamming Divine Light on your Beacon target and then using your HP on Light of Dawn, not a bad strat for that fight (at least on 25).

If this is your only point of comparison for Firelands, I'd give it a few more bosses before you say "I suck". Shannox and Rhyolith are both more about triage than spamming AoE to top people off, and Baleroc is all about the single-target healing, etc.

edit: Nevermind, I forgot to look at your kills in the armory (derp). Let's look at Shannox a few days ago:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...ses&boss=53691

Word of Glory and Light of Dawn barely make up 10% of your total healing, which seems really low - keep an eye on your HP usage, make sure you're not sitting at full HP for too long unless you're waiting for a damage spike.

I also see, out of 12 fights most of which lasted longer than 7 minutes, you used Avenging Wrath three times and never once used Divine Favor. Cooldown usage is huge for a Holy Paladin, and it's something to work on (and yes, I run into the same issues :-P ). Also, you have Divine Favor glyphed - if you don't use it a ton, why not the newly-buffed Word of Glory?
    Last edited by Sebadoh; 07-14-2011 at 07:49 PM.

I know its silly but i keep hanging on too DF just in case it gets really bad, that and HR + 3xHP-LoD = tons of fast heals when i need it, but my problem isnt exactly healing, im fairly ok ish..

But i wanted to know why! with no sudden changes to my toon, do i suddenly suck, i was in the top 2 on my guilds healing meters for quite some time, and now with 4.2 i am last almost always.

I'm not vain or want to get ranked on wol or nothin but::::

How can i do 13k hps and 4.7m healing done
    and a other healers do 11k hps and 6.8m healing done.

or in fact, how do i get my total healing done up to what the other healers are doing, and i dont care about hps so much, i just dont like being embarrassed on the meters. I've gone from hero to zero in one patch and im finding hard to to understand why this is happening.

Yeah i know, a kill is a kill, be happy, forget meters. i would, but my guild is so competitive and i cant compete like this, but i do see other paladins on WoL who can compete in those numbers, and i would like to know how this is done.

Just so i can shut up that fancy druid "Fixed" in my guild, who for every encounter heals for exactly x2 what i do, making me look and feel very insignificant compared to other healing classes, has the time of the paladin finnaly come to an end?

double post, deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Eirohir View Post
    and now with 4.2 i am last almost always.
    Also good to note is the 4.2 change to druid mastery actually made it significantly more effective.

but::::

How can i do 13k hps and 4.7m healing done
    and a other healers do 11k hps and 6.8m healing done.
    1. Overhealing. You can be healing faster, but if more of it is wasted to overhealing your total amount healed is reduced.
    2. Activity. The rate at which you heal may be high however the time you spend not healing may also be high. An internal meter such as recount stops measuring throughput if you stop casting. An out of game one like world of logs will average it across the encounter duration giving more accurate results.

Yeah i know, a kill is a kill, be happy, forget meters. i would, but my guild is so competitive and i cant compete like this, but i do see other paladins on WoL who can compete in those numbers, and i would like to know how this is done.
    Player A out heals Player B has little to do with class balance, assuming theoretical potential is equivalent. More likely it has to deal with player balance or role balance. Player A did better (or got luckier) than Player B. Or the particular role Player A preformed contributed to them appearing better.

Just so i can shut up that fancy druid "Fixed" in my guild, who for every encounter heals for exactly x2 what i do, making me look and feel very insignificant compared to other healing classes, has the time of the paladin finnaly come to an end?
    Druids have no mechanics which are of an external damage reduction nature, in fact the main abilities they have are straight up buffs to their raw throughput. Because a Paladin's mastery functions as a shield, a portion of what they do is counted as absorbs rather than raw healing numbers. For a druid however, 100% of what they do is counted as raw healing. If both a druid and paladin healer are preforming at identical levels, then the druid will actually appear to heal for more simply because the paladin was also preventing damage as part of their function. However them healing twice as much is likely a product of the earlier issues in that they are beating you in activity and also doing less overhealing.

It does sound like both you and this druid have the wrong attitude though. Both of you are stressing over the meter too much.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 07-15-2011 at 08:09 AM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Thanks for the detailed responce, i'm not 100% convinced that its all necessarilly true, since there are paladins out there doing 20+hps, and getting themselves ranked on WoL. I'm pretty certain unless something drastic changes, this paladin wont be getting ranked anywhere but the loser bin.

You have confirmed my suspicions about activity and overhealing / absorbs, it was always my feeling that with our tanks never below 80% for more than 1-2 secs, the paladins max potential is never reached with players like druids and priests hotting and shielding, its almost as if paladins are becoming more inclined to the raid heal side of things, and away from the tanks, since a 50-60k crit on DL is usally wasted by up to 20-50% on a tank, where the spam of a becon'd HL raid wide would suggest better and more effective healing in most situations.

Thanks again for the details, i knew i was on the right track with my query, and its nice to see my thoughts reflected in yours.

Thanks for the detailed responce, i'm not 100% convinced that its all necessarilly true, since there are paladins out there doing 20+hps, and getting themselves ranked on WoL. I'm pretty certain unless something drastic changes, this paladin wont be getting ranked anywhere but the loser bin.
    This is the exactly wrong attitude. Your HPS is entirely determined by who you're healing with and what fight you're healing (and how bad people are at avoiding avoidable damage). Ranked HPS parses are the worst sort of worthless...they tell you less than nothing and only make you play badly.

If you're killing bosses, that's all that matters. If you're not, maybe your whole healing crew needs to reevaluate how you're healing fights...

Well your right there, we never try to get ranked, at least i dont, but if it happens on a boss kill its very exciting.

I can see now i was worried over nothing, and if i never knew about these ranking id still consider myself a good enough healer without to much concern on who did more and when.

But i still remain mystified as to how the hell "SOME" paladins can make 20k+ hps and 10-12M healing done on a single boss fight, I Was sorta hoping someone would tell me how they do that, i guess its fastest finger first as far as the healing meters go, but 20k ! for the whole fight, thats set up right? as in it wouldnt occour naturally without the healing team boosting one player to rankings?

At least thats the way i assume its done, cuz i can only make 20k hps for 14 secs and then im extremely low on mana.

Either way, im feeling better about my healing now, and recount is going in the bin, and scrolling text is getting disabled, ill just be focused on healing my target from now on.

Cheers guys

The simplest way to inflate your meters...

Shorter fight = inflated meters.

If there are fewer healers, you have less competition for healing and therefore heal more and have less overhealing.
    If you have fewer healers, you have more damage dealers which shorten the duration of the encounter.
    If the encounter is completed faster, cooldowns are inflated in value (Heroism is greater on a two minute fight than on a ten minute fight).
    If the encounter is completed faster, you aren't concerned with efficiency because your mana doesn't need to last as long.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

But i wanted to know why! with no sudden changes to my toon, do i suddenly suck, i was in the top 2 on my guilds healing meters for quite some time, and now with 4.2 i am last almost always.
    Okay, take a deep breath and repeat after me: "Not topping the meters does not mean I suck." Say that ten times, then go raid and keep your target alive. In the end it's about everyone doing their job - there's no "i" in team.

I've actually been talking to the other healers in my group and actually asking them to heal less in some circumstances. Not to make myself look better, but to make the efficiency of our team go up resulting in significantly less overhealing and much longer lasting mana pools. My focus has been on improving efficiency, not improving throughput.

ok, i hear what your saying and yes, i agree that not toping the meters is not a bad thing, unless your targets die, then review.

but there are paladins in my team, 2 of them, healing for exactly double what i am, and if i want to stay in this team, i have to show hps => my main competitors for raid slots, so, how can maintain a 12-15k average for a 10 minute fight like raggy.

I have FC'd my Paladin and now play as "MELANA" on horde TM,
    Here is the log for the last raggy encounter, note the significant differences between the paladin healers, and please...please tell me how the hell they are keeping those numbers going.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/421qkad0hs95qglu/analyze/hd/source/

t
    hats not a great example of my work, but its the only thing recent i have, im more concerned about how the paladins are healing so hard and fast these days. one would expect haste and crit to be major factors, but it seems the more i add the worse i get.

Im becoming increasing stressed over not pulling the big numbers, and if someone else in my guiild does better numbers, they get my raid slot. and i dont want that to happen.

So on my knee's here, wtf am i doing wrong, besides the obvious down time, when there is nothing to heal, should i keep spamming hl just for kicks? do i need to flash heal other healers of the board for the first 20 secs? just so i can get a significant lead on them?

+ Reply to Thread