+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Please Critique our Main Tanks setup

Please Critique our Main Tanks setup

We are about to start Firelands and it has come to my concern that our MT is not doing enough research. He claims he is but I just wanted to be sure. Can anyone here give him some advice as to what he should do with his gear/ gems/ chants?

His armory is

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/sargeras/Psykedelik/simple

Any good advice would be appreciated.
    Last edited by psyotik; 08-03-2011 at 09:21 AM.

To be blunt: He's a scrub!

Now that I've got that out of the way:
    Helm is a DPS helm, not a tanking one, also not enchanted.
    VP Neck would be an upgrade.
    I believe he missed out on the Molten Front opening cloak, which would be better.
    He should've gotten T11 chest by now.
    No Mastery enchant on Bracers
    Gemmed 40 Parry in his gloves, but at the same time reforges parry of those gloves.
    Leg enchant can be upgraded (4.2 brought a Stamina + Dodge Rating one)
    Using DPS ring.
    Trinkets could be upgraded (TB one shouldn't be hard to get). Also, he unforged Dodge on his Crab, even though he's seriously lacking it atm.
    No enchant on weapon
    Gun could use an Expertise -> Dodge reforge

Talents:
    Drop Blood Craze & Booming Voice for War Academy & Deep Wounds.
    Incite is debatable.
    Minor Glyph of Berserker Rage would help as well.

Overall:
    He looks as if he's just switched from DPS to tank, doesn't seem to do a lot of effort farming VP/daily rewards except for Molten Front. Again, seems he doesn't actually want to spend extra time doing pure tank gearing.

Best advice I can give you: Let him go DPS, get in someone that knows what he/she is doing.
    Again, sorry for the bluntness, but I don't think being kind would help either of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Minor glyph of Demoshout is also rather nice to have. Gag order is more debatable the Incite, most bosses are immune to Silence, few are immune to heroic strike.
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 08-03-2011 at 10:20 AM.

Yeah pretty much what airowind said. Though the dodge to mastery on the crab is reforged properly since mastery>dodge. Mastery is pretty low considering my warr with less gear is sitting around 55% chance to block. Need to get the correct enchants, a new helm(jp would be far better than the current, and if he's using it for threat he needs to look at his priorities).

I would imagine that he is quite hard to heal so I would suggest benching him and bring in another tank until he steps up to the plate. Probably wouldn't even put him as dps based on his obvious lack of knowledge of warriors. So know he is not doing his research, if he is looking up info on warriors he's going to some really bad places. I know it's harsh but we recently tested a couple tanks that we tried helping with their gearing but it seemed that the lack of knowledge of gearing was synonymous with lack of basic tanking knowledge such as not turnig dragons and other fire breathers towards the raid or being able to move out of the bad stuff. Moral of the story from my PoV, a bad tank will bring progress to a screeching halt much faster than a bad healer or dps.

Thanks alot yea he is hard to Heal compared to many other tanks I currently play a disc priest, I will bring this to his attention. Since he is not doing the research on his own I think we need a new MT.

How does this tank look hes currently our OT and seems to take a lot less damage.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...s/Phäle/simple
    Has he done his research or is he failing also?
    Last edited by psyotik; 08-03-2011 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by psyotik View Post
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...s/Phäle/simple
    Has he done his research or is he failing also?
    He's done some. How can I tell:

-His dodge is about 400 rating higher then his parry so he most likely aiming to keep his % dodge even with is % parry which is close to reality. You want to keep your ratings close as ratings are affected by DR's... all and all correcting this might net him an extra 1 or 2% avoidance. So that's a small issue with reforging.

-He's passing up glyph of death strike for death coil. Which I don't use death coil a lot myself when tanking, I tend to use deathstrike more.

-Glyph of rune weapon is a bit more handy then glyph of bone shield, because glyph of bone shield doesn't stack with other affects such as his boot enchant.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Quote Originally Posted by leethaxor View Post

-He's passing up glyph of death strike for death coil. Which I don't use death coil a lot myself when tanking, I tend to use deathstrike more.
    Not really passing it up; it appears he's spec'd into the Litchborne/Death Coil self heal spec. So having the Death Coil glyph makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    Not really passing it up; it appears he's spec'd into the Litchborne/Death Coil self heal spec. So having the Death Coil glyph makes sense.
    I'll bow to somebody who know's tanking better then me. Mine was a guess :\ guess I need to reglyph my dk lol
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Quote Originally Posted by leethaxor View Post
    I'll bow to somebody who know's tanking better then me. Mine was a guess :\ guess I need to reglyph my dk lol
    Personally, I don't use that spec, some people love it, I find it clunky. It's really one of those matters of personal taste. Then again, I mostly heal these days - I'm cursed with healing cause we have such a shortage.

That Death Coil glyph only works about 2-3 times every 2 minutes though, wouldn't be an overall glyph like Death Strike be better?

You should absolutely use the glyph of deathstrike for raiding. Lich/DC self heal spec is fun for soloing old content but it doesn't cut the mustard since Death Strike is the DK tank main attack.

I guess, as I said I don't use the spec, but from what I've read those that do, like the DC glyph. I can say that last time I got to tank (I use the DS glyph) I was getting 95k DS crits. Last night our DK tank critted a DS for 122k.

Quote Originally Posted by uglie View Post
    Yeah pretty much what airowind said. Though the dodge to mastery on the crab is reforged properly since mastery>dodge. Mastery is pretty low considering my warr with less gear is sitting around 55% chance to block. Need to get the correct enchants, a new helm(jp would be far better than the current, and if he's using it for threat he needs to look at his priorities).
    1) It's Airowird!
    2) Considering the fact there is currently an on-going debate about SB Unhittable vs full Unhittable (or CTC as some call it), in both situations, the Dodge vs Parry is way off (last I did the math, Parry was supposed to be atleast higher and up to ~200 rating above Dodge, including procs)
    3) It's Airowird!
    I would imagine that he is quite hard to heal so I would suggest benching him and bring in another tank until he steps up to the plate. Probably wouldn't even put him as dps based on his obvious lack of knowledge of warriors. So know he is not doing his research, if he is looking up info on warriors he's going to some really bad places. I know it's harsh but we recently tested a couple tanks that we tried helping with their gearing but it seemed that the lack of knowledge of gearing was synonymous with lack of basic tanking knowledge such as not turnig dragons and other fire breathers towards the raid or being able to move out of the bad stuff. Moral of the story from my PoV, a bad tank will bring progress to a screeching halt much faster than a bad healer or dps.
    QFT, and once more just to make a point!

Where could I find a good spec for the DK to use? For Firelands Main Tanking.

Okay so it seems my research and ingame advice has been wrong i was under the impression that my stat weight was mastery>parry>dodge. I have upgraded my spec on the advice found here i have 2 points left over not quite sure where they would be best used if some one could throw me advice on that preferably airowird. some of the unenchanted gear is new and i have not had the chance to chant them as of yet plan to tonight when psyotik gets off work I did a little reforging on some of the newer gear. I have known i need the new leg enchant i have it sitting in my bags and i am less than 50 vp from upgrading the legs ( i am going with legs over chest on the vp because of the enchant they are the same upgrade so it really wouldnt matter what i took 1st only diff is doge for mastery. further advice is welcome on hwo to better reforge/gem i have switched to the jp helm i had just never picked it up since i got the 353 dps helm i reforged into tank stats

and btw yes i know no head peice has evre been enchanted i was to lazy to do the water zone quest i finally broke down and did them sunday so i have that too

Quote Originally Posted by Psykedelik View Post
    and btw yes i know no head peice has evre been enchanted i was to lazy to do the water zone quest i finally broke down and did them sunday so i have that too
    One person's laziness is always made up by the extra effort the sombody else has to work to carry that laziness in a raid group.

yeah yeah i know but its done

For the last 2 points I'ld go for either Cruelty or Incite (can't recall exactly what would be best for your gear, check my sig for spreadsheet, insert rotation & compare would probably be best option)
    As per armoury: enchant & add socket to bracers.
    Take the stuff you reforged to Parry (or never touched) & convert it to Dodge instead. That'ld be Shoulders, Bracers, Gloves, Legs, Ring, Weapon, Shield & unforge the Belt
    That should probably hit you up with a ballpark of 0.10-0.15% avoidance gained just from better rating balance.
    Also, I believe the Bear boss in ZA drops a nice tanking helm, should try to get a run going there when you can, will be a decent upgrade over the JP one.

Think that would help you along the way pretty decently.

most bosses are immune to Silence, few are immune to heroic strike.
    omg that made me lol so much

+ Reply to Thread