+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Crit block and combat table coverage

I'm pretty sure it adds 10% to whatever amount you get from mastery.
    To all the Tanks that gem Stamina: "It's not the magic attack that kills you, it's the physical attack before and after."

It's additive
    Quote Originally Posted by Ion
    Damn old people, screwin' with my grind.
    Mists of Pandaria Protection Warrior Spreadsheet
    Warlords of Draenor One Minute Field Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Steakdinner View Post
    Something I'm wondering, the proc from "Hold the Line" is it additive or multiplicative? I've got a few macros to tell me my crit block % and some other things. Including the macros in case anyone is interested.

For calculating crit block % and hold the line (if it's multiplicative):

/run local b,m,c,h=GetBlockChance(),GetMastery() c=(m*1.5/100)*b h=(m*1.5+10)*b/100 ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Critical Block Chance: %.2f%% Hold The Line Critblock: %.2f%%",c,h))

For calculating crit block % and the amount of extra crit block given when I pop shield block:

/run local b,m,p,d,c,s=GetBlockChance(),GetMastery(),GetParry Chance(),GetDodgeChance() c=(m*1.5/100)*b s=b+p+d+5-100 ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("Critical Block Chance: %.2f%% SBlockSpill: %.2f%%",c,s))
    Your second function only calculates s against equal level mobs and the calculation appears to be quite off.

I don't think I can fit it all into one macro correctly including functional capping logic, if I stripped away some of the capping logic I could though.

I'm not in game right now so I can't validate the syntax.

Code:
    /run b,c=GetBlockChance()-0.6,GetMastery()*0.015 if c>1 then c=1 end o=b+GetParryChance()+GetDodgeChance()-96.8 if o>0 then b=b-o end ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("CBlock: %.2f%%",b*c))
    There is your critical block chance against a raid boss (assuming not a Night Elf).

Code:
    /run b,c=GetBlockChance()-0.6,GetMastery()*0.015 o=b+GetParryChance()+GetDodgeChance()-71.8 if o<0 then o=0 end if o>25 then b=b-(o-25) o=25 end x=c+(o/100) if x>1 then x=1 end s=b+(25-o) ChatFrame1:AddMessage(format("CBlock w/SB: %.2f%%",s*x))
    There is your critical block chance with shield block against a raid boss (again assuming not a Night Elf).

To modify these to fit a night elf you'd change the overflow calculation's substracted constant by 2 less (94.8 and 69.8).
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

The crit block difference wasn't all that huge between reg and raid bosses, .23% difference. I do appreciate the provided macro though.

The crit block difference wasn't all that huge between reg and raid bosses, .23% difference. I do appreciate the provided macro though.
    I'm not sure what to make of that first part. Your calculation wasn't just missing the level difference. It wasn't calculating the caps and enforcing them correctly. You see all those "if" statements in my macros? Those are enforcing functional caps. Like the overflow of shield block can't exceed the value of shield block (if you were passively unhittable).
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

If you were passively unhittable wouldn't it still spill over into critical block chance?

If you were passively unhittable wouldn't it still spill over into critical block chance?
    Block only gets converted to Critical Block when you use Shield Block, if that is what you mean.

More specifically, only the portion from Shield Block. So if you were passively unhittable you would only gain 25% critical block from Shield Block. In the case of your calculation, if you were passively unhittable you'd allow for increasing critical block chance by more than 25%. Only the overflow from Shield Block is converted.

Crit chance is functionally bound to not exceed 100%. You can not critically block more than 100% of your blocked attacks.

Block chance is functionally bound to combat table coverage. (Assuming on a 100% scale) If you have 30% avoidance, you can only have 70% block. If you have 35% avoidance, now your cap on block is 65%.

Shield Block increases can increase one (passively unhittable, or not unhittable even with Shield Block), both (unhittable only with Shield Block), or neither (mastery hard capped) block and critical block depending on the values in question. How much of Shield Block counts towards block and how much counts towards critical block are both parts of the calculation. When calculating the effect of Shield Block you need to calculate how that 0% to 25% is distributed is to which stat.

Those are the types of calculations I'm doing. Enforcing combat rules and calculating the distribution of Shield Block. Not just shifting the target level to that of a raid boss.

I'll make it even easier:

1 Mastery give 1.5% Block & 1.5% crit block at all times, even if it is wasted.

SB gives you up to 25% block chance, untill it fills out the combat table the moment it is activated.
    After that, it also gives you crit block = 50% - (block chance given above).

That means that if you activate SB 1s before Windwalk runs out, you'll only be Unhittable for 1s!

Didn't they remove the doubled effect of Shield Block a while ago so that only the portion of the 25% that was overflow would be converted to Critical Block? Meaning Shield Block can only increase Critical Block chance by a value between 0% and 25%?

Oh, you're totally right!!

/sigh
    That means I need to adjust all my Mastery value calculations .... WTB old buff back please :P

Alright so from what I read here it looks like the only way to increase your Critical Block chance once your unhittable is by using Shield Block. But what about 4pc t12 (6% static parry) and Winwalk proc (~3.4% dodge before DR)?

I will use 100% rather than 102.4% for simplicity. 30% Avoidance, 70% Block Chance (50% from mastery). When I have the 6% parry from 4pc t12, my stats shift to 36% avoidance and 64% block chance. There would be 2 situations:

A) My crit block chance stays the same regardless of avoidance procs (4pc t12, windwalk), while block chance gets reduced meaning that the best case scenario is Shield Block -> 4pc t12 -> Windwalk -> repeat.
    If this is true, does it mean the baseline 20% block is what gets pushed off the table before affecting the block from mastery?
    B) Both crit block and block gets reduced by the same amount (-3% block, -3% crit block).

Once unhittable is it still viable to keep stacking mastery? Or is it conclusive that mastery hits a stop at unhittable?

PS. I did not include Hold the Line procs.
    Last edited by Prydain; 08-23-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Neither of your cases is correct. The Critical Block chance doesn't get altered, however the total amount of Critical Blocks does because it is a double roll system. For example if you have 50% Critical Block chance at 70% Block, then 35% of attacks are Critically Blocked (50% of 70%). If you suddenly decrease Block by 6% because of an increase in avoidance pushing it off the table you would have 64% Block but still 50% Critical Block which results in 32% of attacks being Critically Blocked (50% of 64%).

Does this mean that stacking mastery past unhittable is not viable anymore? I'm trying to see what to gear for once I reach unhittable, but from what you said it looks like I need to start stacking avoidance and decrease my mastery as I get more gear past unhittable.

Its A you'll have 36% avoidance 70% block (of which 6% is useless but still there) and 50% crit block. Only way to increase crit block is mastery.

Mastery is still viable after unhittable but avoidance is slightly better. Mastery is about 0,31% damage reduction while avoidance is around 0,37%.
    Things to keep in mind though that the value of avoidance will drop slowly through diminishing returns and through increasing amounts of critical block, since an avoided hit will replace a block at that point and the block will have an average damage reduction of 31% * (1+critblock). Value of mastery will drop once you hit 100% crit block during shieldblock but we won't reach that this tier maybe next one.
    Another thing to keep in mind that mastery will effect more hits then avoidance so its better in smoothing out the damage even if the average damage reduction might be slightly smaller at that point, mastery with 67% block will affect 1% of the attacks while avoidance will affect about 0,7% (depending on the diminishing returns) of the attacks.

MATH:
    Assumptions: 35% avoidance, 67,4% block, HtL uptime 50%, DR on avoidance 0,7 & eternal metagem.

47,4% crit block + 5% from HtL, average block 31%*(1+0,524)=47,244%
    If you want to include shieldblock which isn't necessary the best option but might be insightful.
    47,4% crit block + 5% from HtL + 9,1% from shieldblock, average block 31%*(1+0,615)=50,065%
    Avoidance: (1 - average block) * DR
    without shieldblock: (1 - 0,47)*0,7=0,371
    with shieldblock: (1 - 0,5)*0,7=0,35
    Block: 1,5% crit block * block * 0,31 (difference between regular block 31% and crit block 62%)
    1,5* 67,4%*0,31=0,313

Small note: shieldblock can give more then 25% crit block it gives (CTC-75%) crit block, using 27,4%/3 in the calculations.
    Last edited by Bigbad; 08-23-2011 at 01:38 PM.

+ Reply to Thread