+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Proffesion, war tank choice.

Proffesion, war tank choice.

Hello fellow tanks,
    I am looken to replace my current mining proffesion into a better one. I have read many fourm posts on this issue but still have a few concerns. The proffesion will be alch + ?. Basicly ive ruled out leatherworking cuz i dont care about stam bonus as much even though its large i am look for mastery atm. Eng i dont want. enchanting i am not sure about tbh. Blacksmithing and j/c are really the 2 choices its come to. I know in wraith j/c gems could be used in any slot and still fill the bonus stats regardless of color, is this still the case? J/C offers 1 more point of mastery but because of the nature of geming its possible at some point i dont have 3 yellow gems to use(like my current gear is atm only have 2.) This will cost me either to use a dif j/c gem or cost a bonus stat on an item right? Blacksmithing is simiple and just gives me two extra slots and does not run into this issue but i loose 1 mastery.

My armory link is here http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ulled/advanced
    plz feel free to tell me if u see ne other issues with gearing. For my prof choice gold is not a factor. plz go into detail ty.

Blacksmithing is a little more versatile than JC for being able to get the gems you want regardless of available slots, however I think you will get a lot more out of JC on the whole; you can actually make money with JC because everyone needs gems but with BS your market is smaller and so are your profit margins... is also highly convenient being able to cut your own gems, which is the same reason why Im also a big fan of Enchanting.

Enchanting is a really rewarding profession BTW; you never end up in a dungeon group without an enchanter, you can DE your BOP gear for profit when it gets replaced, it is its own gathering profession unlike BS or JC, you can save heaps of gold by doing your own enchants. Yes, the only ring enchant for tank is stam which is unfortunate but honestly its not as bad as it could be... I used to be a BS / miner now BS / ench; I only dumped mining because the stam bonus was worthless for my DPS spec.

BS / JC are the best combination of professions for tank because they both give you a permanent +80 mastery, whereas you can only get mastery from Alchemy by using elixirs which can be quite expensive relative to flasks. I totally understand if you have other reasons for wanting to keep alch, but if you are looking to optimise you are just as well off dumping that as mining.
    Last edited by Beefius; 07-13-2011 at 07:42 PM.

Something to consider about choosing your profession is gold. BS and JC would be a lot easier to lvl over Enchanting simply because you can farm up ore easily unlike enchanting matts. I mostly have all the different professions on all my chars. I also have the gathering profession along with it. I would say the 2 professions i hated to lvl the most were tailoring and enchanting.

I lvled 5 chars 2 85, BS max lvl, LW max lvl, and tailoring along the way. With all crafted and looted boe's sent 2 my enchanter, i still didn't have enough to max my enchanting ... very frusterating. Unless you have tons of gold, ore is much easier to get ... unless you don't have a minner then i'd say ... hope you have deep pockets.

You really can't go wrong with any of the 3. Being able to make your own stuff and not have to pay for it is very nice i must say.

Gold is not a factor in my choice. i dont care if it costs more or makes more. only player power

edit: as for elixers i never pull without them on so that isnt a factor either.

Why is Alch still considered a good tanking profession? I wasn't exactly enamored with the trinket pre 4.2 and now with even more trinkets available, in terms of pure player power - I don't see Alch as being valuable - especially since you're not using the trinket.

Also, LW isn't just the stam - the resistance leatherworker only item enhancement does seem valuable to me as well... once you hit hard modes.

All in all, I'd go JC > BS > LW > everything else, but that's personal preference really...

Really jealous of that trinket... LOL
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Alch still grants a noticable bonus to elixirs (mastery/armor or mastery/prismatic combo), it's not all about that trinket. And while time goes by there might pop up another one this tier or another.

But i'd still go with BS/JC.

ya i wouldnt disagree, alch isnt bis but is competative. i like the ability to change mid fight things and also drop cauldrons for my raid often i will pull with expertise then swap to mastery or like lord R i use expertise tell phase 2. atm i am focused on getten mining replaced. and was wondering more about my original issue of bs vs j/c. In regards to l/w i am aware of the resist chant but still dont like not being able to have a mastery option.

Simply in terms of player power, between JC and BS...

JC 3 JC only gems. Either x67 or x101 (is there a SP one too?). Compare this to the base... 40 and 60...

27*3 = 81 more stats (non-stamina) or 41*3 = 123 more stats (stamina). Basically either +81 mastery or +123 stam.

BS = 2 slots at *40 or *60. So either +80 mastery or +120 stam.

Given this, JC > BS since you gain more rating/stam. But you can see how even they are.

The only flip side is BS is signficantly cheaper if you don't farm ore to prospect out the whazzoo, requiring just 4 strong flux per gem slot, while JC requires a Chimera's Eye.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

dont i need 3 gems that r yellow to get mastery or i loose socet bonus?

The BS sockets are prismatic, which means they can be filled with anything without causing problems for the socket bonus. If an item is a blue socket for a +15 stam bonus for example, as long as you have a blue, green, or purple in the blue socket, you can put whatever you want in the prismatic socket. 40 mastery, 60 stam, whatever.

The JC gems are mix and match, though there's no hybrids (they're all pure, red, blue or yellow). You can use them to match socket bonuses, prismatic, or if you don't have a socket bonus that works (like a + 10 hit socket bonus) you can throw a JC-only gem in 'em. JC gems operate just like normal gems, you just 3 that have more stats.

Did that answer it? I actually am not 100% sure I understood your question.

first ty for time,

so in the worst case situation where i have no yellow gems, for j/c, i would have to loose 2 socket bonus(or 1 if i put them both in same item and use the other j/c gem in my belt buckle. Most of the time this wont be an issue but is possible. in blacksmithing i wont ever have a problem cuz it grants 2 "anygem" slots or prismatic.
    so if i trade the 1 mastery point im always assured i wont loose a socket bonus. right?

also i swap gear in and out pretty much every fight so it could be more challenging with the 3 gems in the right spot w/o loosen socket bonus's

Okay, first the block meta, http://www.wowhead.com/item=52293 requires 3 blue. Since as a tank you gem for the socket-bonus anyway, you should have enough 20 mastery/30 stam green gems to activate the meta. I wouldn't be worried about that.

The JC only gems can be problem if you're min/max-ing gear often if your gear has different colored gem slots. I had this problem at the end of Wrath then I had JC gems on different slots between DPS and Tank. Since I've swapped to BS/JC it hasn't been a problem. I only put the JC only gems in the prismatic sockets (ebonsteel belt buckle socket and then the wrist/hand sockets from BS).

Oh... are you thinking the JC only gems are prismatic and don't count to a socket? While they all start out as Chimera's Eyes, once you cut them, they switch to the color of the gem.

For example, the Fractured Chimera's Eye (67 Mastery JC only gem) is a yellow gem. If you place it in a yellow socket or prismatic socket, it will count as a yellow gem (though we need blues for the meta). For example: http://www.wowhead.com/item=70945 has a yellow socket.

You can place a 20 mastery/20 parry orange gem in the red socket http://www.wowhead.com/item=52215 and the 67 mastery JC gem in the yellow http://www.wowhead.com/item=52269 and hit the socket bonus.

JC gems, once cut, act as gems of the same color.

So since Fractured gems are pure yellows, the Fractured Chimera's Eye is a yellow gem as well, once cut.

+ Reply to Thread