+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Healing Druid Rotation

Healing Druid Rotation

hi. I'm wondering, since Cata has come out, is there a specific rotation for druid healers? I usually start off with lifebloom getting it to 3, then do rejuv and regrowth. For AoE I use Swiftmend and use wild growth if needed. Is this what I should be using or am I doing it all wrong. My bf said I should also use a direct heal first then use my HoTs- this is what my mastery says. Anything i'm doing wrong?

~Aqu

As a healer you don't work off of "rotations" like a DPS class, you have to be more fluid and make decisions on the fly based on the situation.

I couldn't say whether or not you're doing anything wrong by your initial post, perhaps if you have some specific questions or situations in which you were having trouble?

Well, I was having initial trouble keeping mana up in Cata heroics. -but I fixed that problems by getting higher gear- Now, I'm better, but my question is this. My gearscore is 8644 and my ilvl is 349. Will I be ok healing ZA and ZG without initially wiping the group several times and wanting to throw my computer across the room? Atm, one of my healing gears is a part of the justice point set. (I'm not sure what tier, probably tier 10 or 11, the set is called Stormriders Vestments). All of my gear is all 333 or higher.
    ~Aqu

349 is more than high enough for any 5-man. It's higher than most of us had when we started heroic mode raids! So go for it! =)

Spec wise I would actually say you shouldn't be healing in 5 man content. If you are the only healer in the group, Nature's Cure is a mandatory talent. And even if you are not, you'd still want it. You have to be able to clense magic debuffs. Perhaps part of the reason you are having issues healing is because debuffs aren't being clensed that should be and people are taking significantly more damage from something that would be avoided otherwise? For example, your spec is completely unviable for Vortex Pinnacle because if anyone fails and gets Static Cling on the last boss, they will die to the one shot of his ultimate ability since there is no one to clense the debuff. Vortex Pinnacle is one of the easiest heroics, and your spec actually makes it extremely difficult. I've had a pug healer without this talent in Vortex Pinnacle and was forced to kick them simply for not specing viably. Nothing personal but if you can't do the job then there was no choice. Nature's Cure point will probably come out of either Living Seed or Nature's Bounty.

You should also have two points in Naturalist. Now there is some discussion about the viability of a no Naturalist spec however that pertains primarily to 25 man raiding context and in a situation where mana is significantly more stabilized. You however I not in 25 man raiding or at a high enough mana efficiency point to support such a spec (you should be using Nourish and Healing Touch significantly more than Regrowth). This extra point would also come out of Living Seed or Nature's Bounty talent.

You should also drop the Glyph of Innervate. In 5 man content you would never Innervate anyone other than yourself and even in a raiding situation you would still prefer to always Innervate yourself as it nets more mana. You could replace it with Glyph of Healing Touch instead. I'd also suspect if you're having mana issues it's more a matter of healing technique and spell selection rather than gear.

You currently have zero enchants. As such, that 349 item level is significantly lower in effectiveness when compared to other people in 349 item level. You can't neglect your enchants. Enchanting alone adds about half a tier in value to your items so that 349 enchanted actually looks more like 356 unenchanted. You could also have a belt buckle as well improving your gear. You should not be neglecting this.

You not benefiting from the profession bonus of your crafting profession, inscription. You need to level that more for your cheap shoulder enchants. Professions are buffs as well.

Despite all of that, you probably could heal the troll instances fine with the exception being Nature's Cure. You will require this. However will people live is another story because that will actually come down to your familarity with the content, when to heal who and with what abilities. When does heavy party damage shift into heavy tank damage? When can you hold off on healing someone until later. These are things you will learn through experience.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 07-14-2011 at 09:26 AM. Reason: missing word, extra word
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I didn't look at the armory, probably shoulda done that. Lots of missing stuff that Quin pointed out, gotta fix all that.

However, I cannot think of anything in the Troll instances that requires a magic dispel. I don't have it and heal them all the time. =D

You're right about in Troll instances there isn't as many things that really need to be clensed. Most things in general won't result in a player death regardless unless compounded with other things. The last boss in Vortex Pinnacle I think is the only one for a heroic where if the mechanic isn't clensed the player will die for sure.

Stuff that could kill you in troll instances off the top of my head are...

Eagle (ZA)
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=97298
    This stacks so it can kill someone if you let them get hit with it twice in a row when combined with other minor damage they may have taken.

Dragonhawk (ZA)
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=43299
    This stacks as well though takes considerably higher stacks to become urgent. I generally clense it off in the teens on the tank, no magic number really. Though if it stacked too high I could imagine the tank could easily be insta gibbed by the boss.

Panther (ZG)
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=96958
    This deals about 100k damage if you let it run it's full course and combined with other incidental damage could possibly lead to a death.

None of those are guarenteed to be leathal, however the severity of them is also applified relative to the healers ability to deal with them. So something that is a minor inconvenence to someone experienced healing it may be a major concern to someone new.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Healing Druid Rotation

I am on my phone right now so I can't see your armory page but if you want to look me up you can for spec an gemming. In a raid I average 14.5k-16k hps and an reach 25k in big spikes if needed. From what I have tried (redone my spec about 30 times) this is the best way to spend your points. I have tied to help other resto druids on my realm but most won't listen until they see me out healing them by 3k (on average) and will have more mana % wise when we are done is worse gear then they are in. Biggest problem I see is ppl taking living seed (garbage/ will never break 3% of your heals) since it's not needed for eflor there is never a reason you shoul take it. Also the instant cast CD has to long of a CD timer to be worth it. If you casting an instant HT instead of a 2.2 or 2.3 sec one will save a raid then your raid is doing something wrong anyway. if blizz where to lower it down to about 45sec an remove the glyph for it then I could see it being worth it. everyone hAs here own opinions on it though. Just read more guides and try out what they say till you find a style that feels right to you. My toon is Torodal on dreanar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobhwrd View Post
    I am on my phone right now so I can't see your armory page but if you want to look me up you can for spec an gemming. In a raid I average 14.5k-16k hps and an reach 25k in big spikes if needed. From what I have tried (redone my spec about 30 times) this is the best way to spend your points. I have tied to help other resto druids on my realm but most won't listen until they see me out healing them by 3k (on average) and will have more mana % wise when we are done is worse gear then they are in. Biggest problem I see is ppl taking living seed (garbage/ will never break 3% of your heals) since it's not needed for eflor there is never a reason you shoul take it. Also the instant cast CD has to long of a CD timer to be worth it. If you casting an instant HT instead of a 2.2 or 2.3 sec one will save a raid then your raid is doing something wrong anyway. if blizz where to lower it down to about 45sec an remove the glyph for it then I could see it being worth it. everyone hAs here own opinions on it though. Just read more guides and try out what they say till you find a style that feels right to you. My toon is Torodal on dreanar.
    Please keep in mind, you're advising a player about 5 man content, not raids.

A druid will almost always win on healing in raw numbers because the only thing druids do is heal damage. They don't have mechanics like shields or external damage reduction abilities. I outheal paladin healers all the time simply because a chunk of their healing is actually the absorb effect of their mastery. If healers are preforming identical, the druid comes out ahead because 100% of what the druid did was throughput only.

You know that 3/3 Moonglow is proven to always be more mana efficient than 3/3 Furor. This has been proven, consult TreeCalcs.

Additionally, Nature's Swiftness also buffs the heal done by 50% so it is a viable quick heal in a pinch and especially when combined with Glyph of Healing Touch the cooldown is typically half or less it's normal duration particularly in 10 man or 5 man content where it will be used more frequently, in 25 man content where you may be more heavily dedicated to non-tank healing you may find Healing Touch used less. I have seen critical heals around the six digit mark with Nature's Swiftness, and because I actually use Healing Touch I typically have this off cooldown in significantly less time than 3 minutes.

Glyph of Barkskin... Ok, only physical attacks from mobs can crit. And if your tanks aren't tanking the physical attacks, what are they doing? Generally speaking the vast majority of damage the raid takes which includes the healer is of types of damage which can not crit. Additionally, 25% reduction is overkill for PvE content and only viable in PvP.

It's generally never a good idea to say, "just copy me". Everyone does things a little different depending on their own unique context. For example if you are tank healing more, Living Seed is viable. Neither talent Living Seed or Nature's Bounty is very desirable as an effect on crit or a buff to a spell your least desired spell to cast. Both are weak talents in ideal circumstances because under the ideal scenario you aren't (exclusively) tank healing and you are only using Regrowth to proc Nature's Grace.

Healing Druid Rotation

I never said anything about the other healers not keeping up. I said other druids. And if you really need that instant HT even with 50% bonus then you need to talk to your tank or other healer cause it shouldn't come to that. That talent is still garbage even with the glyph. A 1 min cd is just to long. And I never said anything to copy and past my spec. Even as a tank healer 3 points in living seed is 3 points wasted. If any pve healer has that talent then they are wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobhwrd View Post
    And if you really need that instant HT even with 50% bonus then you need to talk to your tank or other healer cause it shouldn't come to that. That talent is still garbage even with the glyph. A 1 min cd is just to long.
    Hamlet, guide writer leading theorycrafting discussion on EJ for both Balance and Restoration and the person who maintains TreeCalcs and WrathCalcs... took Nature's Swiftness.
    The guide writer at Restokin.com also took Nature's Swiftness.
    Owld, a 6/7 heroic restoration druid from Method took Nature's Swiftness.
    Anaram, a 2/7 heroic restoration druid from Paragon took Nature's Swiftness.

Ok. So the guy leading the theorycrafting community takes it. The guid writer for a restoration druid only forum takes it. People in the top two guilds in the world take it.

I guess I should go tell them they all speced wrong.

I guess in this department we will never agree. What you consider garbage, I consider baseline.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 07-14-2011 at 03:15 PM.

I never said anything about the other healers not keeping up. I said other druids. And if you really need that instant HT even with 50% bonus then you need to talk to your tank or other healer cause it shouldn't come to that.
    Very foolish thing to say. NS can save your raid in a pinch, saying "Oh, you don't need that unless you're bad." makes no sense.

Anaram, a 2/7 heroic restoration druid from Paragon took Nature's Swiftness.
    Bovinity, a 2/7 heroic resto druid took it, too! (Hooray)
    Last edited by Bovinity; 07-14-2011 at 08:17 PM.

right guys been having a read through and found out that NS is good got told not to get it now prob is i dont know where to change my talents round to include it any hlp would be appreciated

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...talent/primary

Living Seed is the easiest thing to take a point out of. Even with the 100% crit change, it's still pretty awful. That or the single point in Nature's Bounty, that's really a 3-or-nothing talent, just one point really does nothing significant.

kk tyvm for hlp think i will go for natures bounty

I've been doing 5 mans since the start of Cata when Heroics were actually hard and this is what I've found has worked well for me. Early on gear wise you'll have to adjust your healing style a bit from what you see in most guides because they're tailored to raid healing with an emphasis on throwing out lots of aoe heals. I've thrown a point into Natures cure so I can remove more debuffs and haven't put a point into Natures swiftness. I also use glyph of healing touch to allow me to use swiftmend much more often.

Before the pull I'll roll 3 stacks of lifebloom and cast nourish as the tank is pulling to get my mastery up. If that doesn't keep the tanks health up i'll rejuv then fill in the difference with nourish or a healing touch if I have to.

Raid members I generally keep topped with wild growth using it on cooldown. If a dps falls below about 50% I'll rejuv or healing touch depending on how urgently they need healing (and how much the tank needs).

I'll use swiftmend similar to wild growth using it on the tank or a melee dps thats taking damage to heal all the melee. With the glyph of healing touch It typically comes off cd every 15 seconds.

If I have a free gcd (not casting anything else) I'll cast nourish to start topping someone off (it's basically free since you regen it's cost in the time it takes to cast and its one of your most efficient spells). Be sure to use all your omen of clarity procs for big heals (healing touch typically)

The general strategy for me is to keep ahead on healing. If your hots fall off the tank you'll be hard pressed to keep him up with just direct heals and it takes 4 gcds to put up all your hots again. Dps usually aren't an issue with all the aoe healing and the occasional rejuv tossed out if someone takes a lot of damage. Use your innervate early in the fight when you hit 80% mana and you may be able to get a second innervate off before the fight ends. Tranquility is a great spell but you need to be smart when you use it. Refresh lifebloom and rejuv on the tank so they don't expire half way through your channeling.

If your having mana problems look at reforging some of your haste to spirit if your in between haste breakpoints (the point at which haste gives your hots an extra tick of healing, restodruid.info has a nice breakdown).

If your not using a healing add on I'd recommend healbotcontinued for 5 mans. Its easy to set up and very intuitive. Grid and Vuhdoo will serve you better in raids but take a while to set up to your liking.

+ Reply to Thread