+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quit or try to improve?

Quit or try to improve?

Hello,

I am getting a bit tired of my warrior, I am prot and I just can't hold aggro on single target 5 man (Zandalari). My rotation is: HT > Charge > Shield slam > revenge > Shield block > rend > TC > Devastate and when rage over 50 I throw some HS.

Here is my armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ackoy/advanced

I think it's probably bad rotation but whatever I try I can't make it work. And I miss alot my target's even with shield slams... Can anyone give me some tips or hints to improve? I just feel I wanna quit playing warrior...

Thank you

Ok, lets start with your rotation.

Charge>HT>Shield block on the pull

single target:

SS,sw,cb,dev,tk is the priority order. In short, that means any time you see 2 of these abilities off cd at the same time, you pick the one with the highest priority, starting over every time you have a ss proc.

multi target:

charge> rend

then thunderclap, sw as cleave as often as you can. very simple

as for your armory, it appears in order. The only thing I could suggest is maybe drop the rev points and the point in BC for deep wonds ( DW is the hightest threat per point ability available at the moment as far as I know).
    Reev: So, do I macro /dance into Shield Slam now? Raysere: Yes, I hear it increases your DPS Gold balance gear quality attractiveness to the opposite gender considerably

Thank you for your response but the problem remains, I miss most of the time which leads to a loss of threat...
    Last edited by Pdneves; 07-06-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Truc's mistaken, the prot warrior max single target threat rotation is:

SS>dev>dev> other

which resets back to SS each time you get an SnB proc. Other is either a Concussion Blow, Heroic Throw, or Shockwave, in that oder (though with multiple thunderstruck stacks SW>HT). If you aren't in an infinite rage scenario feel free to replace Dev with Rev. Make good use of Zerker & Inner rage to ensure as many Cleaves/heroic strikes as possible while maintaining the above rotation.

Try a bit of Crocklisk Au Gratin should help. While I don't gem/reforge or enchant for hit or exp and have no threat issues, I do leave a bit of exp on my gear untouched to get me to around 22 or so exp with food buff. I find it helps, especially with my warrior and pally tanks. For my DK tank I really don't pay much attentions since it hold threat just looking at mobs.

You exp is 10, with the food buff you should see a bit of a difference. Also, as was said, for single target Devastate and SS; stack your TC's and Shockwave.

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    Truc's mistaken, the prot warrior max single target threat rotation is:

SS>dev>dev> other

which resets back to SS each time you get an SnB proc. Other is either a Concussion Blow, Heroic Throw, or Shockwave, in that oder (though with multiple thunderstruck stacks SW>HT). If you aren't in an infinite rage scenario feel free to replace Dev with Rev. Make good use of Zerker & Inner rage to ensure as many Cleaves/heroic strikes as possible while maintaining the above rotation.

Im not mistaken. there is no reason to dubble dev if sw, ht, or cb is off cd.
    Reev: So, do I macro /dance into Shield Slam now? Raysere: Yes, I hear it increases your DPS Gold balance gear quality attractiveness to the opposite gender considerably

Quote Originally Posted by truculent View Post
    Im not mistaken. there is no reason to dubble dev if sw, ht, or cb is off cd.
    SnB procs which allow you to use SS more, which will lead to higher overall TPS. The gain from getting the 'extra' SS > difference between Dev + HT/SW. CB at full vengence is a good tool, but at full vengence you have enough threat anyway.

SW actually hits less hard than Dev until you have ~50% vengence, so it's not an optimal early fight tool.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    SnB procs which allow you to use SS more, which will lead to higher overall TPS. The gain from getting the 'extra' SS > difference between Dev + HT/SW. CB at full vengence is a good tool, but at full vengence you have enough threat anyway.

SW actually hits less hard than Dev until you have ~50% vengence, so it's not an optimal early fight tool.

Thats all true, but usually vengeance is stacked after the first cycle. So to be more specific, after the second SS its practical to weave in secondary abilities as they come off cd is what I was pointing at. I guess I could have also listed the difference between snap threat on the pull and mid fight priorities.

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...152#post510152 - why weaving is better that justr dropping your truck abilities for higher cruising threat

http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...881#post508881 - modelling of the first 5 GCDs on the pull. Or why weaving on the pull is better.

In short, the only time you should be just using your abilities in Priority of descending threat is when Dev>SS for TPS. which isn't veru often.

Im glad we are on the same page

Thing is on the pull you're better off weaving as you will usually have SB up, and after the pull, you're better off weaving becuase vengeance has stacked, so all in all: SS>dev>dev>other

The only time I'm not sold on weaving is CB early on. I still like CB guaranteed higher floor than SnB's higher proc once SB fades. But after the first CB, by the time it's off CD, weaving is fine.

You can use HS more than rage >50. You should have options to 'save' rage (SnB SS proc, Rev is cheap) so being 'low' isn't bad, especially if it's a melee heavy boss. The only time I don't spam HS is on caster-heavy bosses (hate VP). Part of it may be you're not hitting HS often enough either.

Threat stats don't give you threat, they cover up a bad rotation slightly (except for certain, specific boss fights with top-shelf DPS). if you outgear the content and aren't in trouble of dying, threat stats are fine, though unnecessary. That being said, if you are going for threat stats, TOO's right, Exp > hit (until exp = 26).

You also have 1 point in bloodcraze (worthless) and 2 points in cruelty but zero in Deep Wounds. 3/3 in deepwounds. Drop your points in the Fury tree and grab deep wounds.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

On just a personal observation note, I find that if dps keeps it in their pants for a global cooldown, you can just press whatever button lights up and the mob isn't going anywhere. I think we tend to over think threat; I mean it's not quite the WoLK days, where threat became a total non issue, but it's also not Vanillia where tanks are fighting tooth and nail to get hold/threat. Vengence is really so good I'm finding that once it builds,even over just a GCD or two, I can go on my merrry way and focus on other things.

Hello,

after reading all of this it felt like a fresh start. I mixed up a bit of all your tips and I can have a solid 200% (or more) on boss and aoe.

For bosses I pop Retaliation > HT > charge > SB > Rev > SS (when proc) > CB > Shockwave then Rend and Spam Devastate and TC to keep resfreshing rend after that and when on more than 50 rage I throw some HS.

For aoe, charge > rend > TC > cleave / revenge (pressing tab to change mob) and TC > more spamming cleave / revenge after 3 charges of thunderstruck a shockwave.

All of this works like a charm!

Thank you for your feeback.

Quote Originally Posted by Pdneves View Post
    For bosses I pop Retaliation > HT > charge > SB > Rev > SS (when proc) > CB > Shockwave then Rend and Spam Devastate and TC to keep resfreshing rend after that and when on more than 50 rage I throw some HS.
    Revenge hits for nothing on the pull. It's only 5 rage but it's really not great threat at the start.

SS is the KEY threat tool. So I hope (when proc) means you restart on a SnB proc?

You can use HS under 50 rage in most fights without having to worry. More HS will help.

Good to hear things have improved :-)

+ Reply to Thread