+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warrior Looking to see if I am on the right path

Prot Warrior Looking to see if I am on the right path

Hey all,

Looking to be a better tank. whatever advice you can give would be very useful tanks in advance

Edge

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Edge/advanced

Mastery is Low, parry is high. you want to keep the parry chance only slightly higer than the Dodge chance, as the rating for both have Diminishing Returns; the the more of a rating you the less benefit the next rating bgets you, think of it as the first rating buys you 1% the second rating buys you 0.5% the third rating buys you 0,25%, etc. thats massively exaggerated, but you really want to have your parry chance around 1% ahead of your dodge chance.

you should reforge so that every peice has Mastery on it. even if this means reforging Dodge or parry to mastery (in your case it should alot of parry being reforeged to mastery).

Pick up heavy repercussions, its probably our second best threat talent. drop gag order for it.

What content? Firelands? Heroics? T11?

What I see with a cursory glance:

1. You don't have point in Heavy Repercussions. This is near mandatory as 33% of your SS will be with SB up (roughly) and SS w/ Heavy Repurcussions = insane threat. Drop gag order for it. Or Thunderstruck.

2. Block is WAY to low. 41%? Every piece of gear should have mastery on it. Try a reforging tool, such as RAWR, askmrrobot, or wowreforge for guidance on reforging to optimize your mastery and then parry > dodge rating.

3. Did you buy your Deflection Star or did you use VP on it? If you used VP, that isn't optimal, you should work for your 2pc and slots that have more rating.

4. Your professions aren't optimal, but that's a personal choice (Inscription - don't you have a leg enchant option? And the Charscale enchant on your legs is no longer good in 4.2, agility doesn't give dodge, so you'll want to find the sta/dodge option if there's no inscription option).

5. Glyph of sunder and Rapid charge aren't great tanking enchants. Thunderclap is better (bigger TC radius, great for add pickups) and something like cleaving for AoE (you'll use more cleaves than devastates since it's on it's own CD shared with HS).

6. what is your ability priority system?
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

For firelands

What content? Firelands? Heroics? T11?

What I see with a cursory glance:

1. You don't have point in Heavy Repercussions. This is near mandatory as 33% of your SS will be with SB up (roughly) and SS w/ Heavy Repurcussions = insane threat. Drop gag order for it. Or Thunderstruck.

-- ok will do ill change that up you are right IMO

2. Block is WAY to low. 41%? Every piece of gear should have mastery on it. Try a reforging tool, such as RAWR, askmrrobot, or wowreforge for guidance on reforging to optimize your mastery and then parry > dodge rating.

-- i thought i did reforge it all into that but I will double check

3. Did you buy your Deflection Star or did you use VP on it? If you used VP, that isn't optimal, you should work for your 2pc and slots that have more rating.

-- used JP on it i think since the change

4. Your professions aren't optimal, but that's a personal choice (Inscription - don't you have a leg enchant option? And the Charscale enchant on your legs is no longer good in 4.2, agility doesn't give dodge, so you'll want to find the sta/dodge option if there's no inscription option).

- yeah these were the only two professions I needed to have them all between my 80s and i heave yet to find any leg enchants for it. I will change it to dodge however

5. Glyph of sunder and Rapid charge aren't great tanking enchants. Thunderclap is better (bigger TC radius, great for add pickups) and something like cleaving for AoE (you'll use more cleaves than devastates since it's on it's own CD shared with HS).

-- great idea thank you will do

-- i think i know what you mean here
    SB always up then single tar ss>revenge>devastate to 3> rend> tc> demo

multi tar is Hleap>rend> TC >SS> demo shout>tc and revenge/devastate
    Last edited by stellyx; 07-07-2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: anaswered a missed question

Quote Originally Posted by stellyx View Post

-- used JP on it i think since the change
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=71218 is VP (though it's BoE so you might be able to find it on the AH) - ranged slot is one the of the slots with the least itemization, so avoid spending VP on these slots in the future (ring, range, back all have low amounts of rating iirc).

Quote Originally Posted by stellyx View Post

-- i think i know what you mean here

SB always up then single tar ss>revenge>devastate to 3> rend> tc> demo

multi tar is Hleap>rend> TC >SS> demo shout>tc and revenge/devastate
    Single target, the core is SS > Dev > Dev > (other) and other is CB>HT>SW, mix in TC and Demo as needed. If SnB procs restart with SS. Don't worry so much about stacking Dev to 3, it will get there fast enough.

Multiple target -> I prefer something more like mark skull, X -> HL -> Rend -> TC -> SW -Then Cleave/Revenge/TC with SS/Dev on current target when Rev is on CD.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Yeah thanks I also just read your primer which is awesome.

I have made a few changes and they should be visible now. I really appreciate you taking the time to help me.

Anything else you can see now that i made the changes to the talents the reforging and i understand the priority rotation?

if you find yourself not in a postion to use HS on CD while perfroming the above rotation (SS>dev>dev>[other]) stat substituting Dev's with Revs.

Rend on single targets is tricky, Rend itself is generally a threat loss if somone isn't putting the +30% bleed damage buff up for you. However if you manage to refresh a rend with only one tick(less than 3 seconds left) with a thunderclap during the [other] part of the rotation it becomes quite awesome threat, though its entirely random if you're at that point of the rotation during the window to refresh, making it less than a relaible. TBH you can pretty much forget rend on single targets.

Dowloading something like WarTotem's spreadsheet is a really good idea, its a really useful tool for seeing things, though its not updated for 4.2 yet.

+ Reply to Thread