+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Balancing Parry and Dodge for Prot

Balancing Parry and Dodge for Prot

I'm sitting at 16% parry and 8% dodge on my Warrior tank alt. I've been stacking parry to gain from Hold the Line, but I feel like my parry is too high and I'm losing too much avoidance from DR. I was wondering if anyone has numbers they like to sit on with these stats on a prot warrior.

Here's my armory:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...danor/advanced

Thanks.

about 2-3% higher parry than dodge is about optimal.

replace yellow gems with mastery gems, unforge dodge and reforge parry to mastery.. if posible reforge exp/hit into dodge a little bit

Koji once posted numbers. At 2400 mastery (slightly above what you have) the inflection point is ~800 rating. You're below 2400 mastery so you're probably ~750 more parry rating than dodge. I wish there was a table out there, but as of yet there isn't one I've seen.

The rule of thumb is at less smastery, 2-3%, with more mastery 3-5% should be the difference. My guess is you're right around 3%. ish.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Kongolo View Post
    replace yellow gems with mastery gems, unforge dodge and reforge parry to mastery.. if posible reforge exp/hit into dodge a little bit
    Actually, they've started hard modes where there is simply more magic damage the hits are just bigger, making a mastery-centric gemming philosphy not ideal. The gemming pattern doesn't quite fit this (parry/stam for red instead of parry/mastery) but it's clear the gemming is more for HP and hard modes.

As for reforging - the shield is the only unreforged hit - and that should probably be dodge (dodge/parry also gain compartively for some fights/requirements, like tanking Halifus Hardmode where slower stack buildup is nice - but the difference is minimal). Depending on the enrage timer though - if running with few hunters so DPS has to throttle at the beginning while running into the enrage at the end, a little more expertise might not be a bad idea. Otherwise the hit on shiled and expertise on gun to dodge wouldn't be bad. But if threat is an issue, blood craze should be dropped. The only fights I can see this being useful would be add tanking Malorik and Nef, when you're getting hit by a chunk of adds so it's going to have a high up time - otherwise, it's just so little. But if threat isn't an issue and it's a comfort thing. Meh.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

My main is 6/13 HMs, and I get called in from time to time to tank HMs when one of our main tanks is gone (we didn't have many people show up last night thanks to Hockey so I got to bring my tank alt in for a farm boss = heroic halfus). It was actually a pretty fun night for me - I got to tank Heroic Halfus, then I brought my main (Shadow/Holy Priest) to heal Heroic Magmaw, then I got to be Fury for normal Omnitron.

The parry/mastery gems are leftovers - those were usually pieces I got really early in the expansion and I haven't reajusted the gemming yet. Same goes for reforging - I was sitting at the reforger trying to decide how much dodge I wanted and I decided to post here instead of reforging :P

Blood craze I have no trouble parting with but I haven't really had threat problems so I haven't bothered adjusting my spec.

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Knighterrant81; 05-25-2011 at 04:20 AM.

I found this chart:

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/118/graph3t.jpg
    - Add up your Dodge and Parry ratings, that's your X-Axis value.
    - Look up and pick the coloured blob that's closest to your current Mastery rating.
    - The Y-Axis value is your ideal ratio of Parry : Dodge

...not claiming any responsibility for the graph or the accuracy of the results, but fwiw I've found it matches the findings I've seen other sites so it's probably not a bad guide. As gear improves I've found the hardest thing for a prot warrior is getting enough Dodge to reach those ratios, but as a guide it's as good as I've seen to-date.
    Last edited by Corto; 06-29-2011 at 06:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Corto View Post
    I found this chart:

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/118/graph3t.jpg
    - Add up your Dodge and Parry ratings, that's your X-Axis value.
    - Look up and pick the coloured blob that's closest to your current Mastery rating.
    - The Y-Axis value is your ideal ratio of Parry : Dodge

...not claiming any responsibility for the graph or the accuracy of the results, but fwiw I've found it matches the findings I've seen other sites so it's probably not a bad guide. As gear improves I've found the hardest thing for a prot warrior is getting enough Dodge to reach those ratios, but as a guide it's as good as I've seen to-date.
    Ok despite taking calc the minute anyone says ratio i get confused to hell...
    I'm sitting at 2077 mastery, I originally had 11% dodge and near 16-17% parry. I just learned about balancing the two due to DR and tried it. I hit a stump due to my fail math though and I must also say lack of specification. They say to get the ratio correct you must divide your parry over your dodge. (parry/dodge right? lol) But is it the flat number of dodge or parry you have or the percentage? If i go by flat number I'm going to end up with damn near even dodge and parry, going by percentage looks about right though with 13.08% dodge and 15.29% parry.

I'm also worried I"m doing something very wrong, how can people get such high mastery ratings? Isn't that sky rocketing past the unhittable mark or are they truely forsaking avoidance?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Kroanen/simple

It's the ratio of the avoidance ratings, not the avoidance % (which is affected by other things).

As to the mastery ratings going that high; Somone hasn't gone out at got 4k mastery and then jiggled up their parry and dodge rating and wrote down the results, its based off the equations and then extrapolated for each of the different variables. it's all calculations, not observations, 4k mastery with 2k avoidance ratings would leave you very close to if not actually unhittable

MrRobot and Kahalm's spreadsheet both suggest keeping dodge/parry in very close proximity now, talking about less than 1% difference.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...h/Phyta/simple

Just now starting to get into Parry DR via my macro. Getting to the point where now when I reforge say +hit into dodge, I get a big more overall avoidance going with dodge than I do with parry. Using the typical Avoidance macro to see final results after each reforge.

Avoidance Set : 163,839 unbuffed HP : 13.04 Dodge / 15.76 Parry / 49.88 Block / 19.92 Mastery
    Stam Set : 177,993k unbuffed HP : 13.04 Dodge / 15.05 Parry / 48.77 Block / 19.18 Mastery

But ya, im starting to see more overall avoidance dropping exp/hit/haste/crit or whatever into dodge vs parry now. I know parry keeps HtL up but still, I switched all my blue +60 stam gems for +20 mastery / +30 stam gems and put +65 mastery enchant to gloves and +50 mastery enchant to boots. Im still over 200k raid buffed so thinking I may go to +40 Mastery Gems in my Yellows. Doing non hard mode BoT / BwD / FL Bosses and Trash with no problem with current stam.

You can pug non hardmode BoT/BwD in 333 gear nowadays..

IF you're raiding 10m: Your mastery value is pretty low imho, you can't cover to much of your combat table this way. Start aiming for 3000 mastery and 3500 with one mastery trinket on the long run. For comparison: I'm running hardmodes with 190k raidbuffed and still breathing (~10% more block/critblock, similar avoidance numbers)

Ps: Lavawalker (mastery/runspeed) instead of pure mastery on boots.

+ Reply to Thread