+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 52

Thread: Ragnaros

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    2
    Surprisingly disappointing encounter for a tank. The biggest challenge Ragnaros provides on top of tanking 1 add and controlling 1-2 other ones is ... resisting sleep. Seriously. 1 minute of actually doing something is not enough for a ~10 minutes long fight. GG Blizz.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Marina del Rey, CA
    Posts
    3,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Bemxuu View Post
    Surprisingly disappointing encounter for a tank. The biggest challenge Ragnaros provides on top of tanking 1 add and controlling 1-2 other ones is ... resisting sleep. Seriously. 1 minute of actually doing something is not enough for a ~10 minutes long fight. GG Blizz.
    Well at least you won't have to worry about threat now!

    Wait...

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Bemxuu View Post
    Surprisingly disappointing encounter for a tank. The biggest challenge Ragnaros provides on top of tanking 1 add and controlling 1-2 other ones is ... resisting sleep. Seriously. 1 minute of actually doing something is not enough for a ~10 minutes long fight. GG Blizz.
    Very true, Baleroc, the bird, even Ryolith are much better fights for tanks. But remade is remade, don't expect much from it. Does the tank in phase 2 gets an egg? I was trying to move outside the melee bunch when not tanking to realize the egg was not spamming in my spot, that or the spell triggers at some early point and it locks the spot were you where seconds before, does anybody noticed this?
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. - Albert Einstein

  4. #24
    The Molten Seed (I assume thats what you mean when you're saying "egg") does seem to have a travel time to it. I've noticed that it picks the spot you were standing in when it was "cast" from the lava to your current spot. Kinda disconcerting when you're trying to get away from the healer that suddenly moved forward at the last second for some odd reason..
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,132
    Baleroc? Not moving at all, hitting your TB trinket once in a while and hoping for some dodges on the Decimating Blade is not really more fun for me. I could play Alysrazor with a G15 macro from start to finish without the firestorm/meteor intermezzo every other minute.. I've a lot of fun on Shannox while kiting Riplimp but that's it for this tier.

    Ragnaros has some tankswaps every 20ish seconds and thanks to vengeance and lucky hits/crits i'll have to watch Omen (at least if you care for damage done). On heroic you can dance the Heigan Dance while not dying to his hammer and optimise your offensive and defensive cooldowns for the 3-4 seed phases. Actually it's one of the fights where i've to watch out for the most things at any time. It's a quite demanding fight with not a lot of margin for errors (from anyone), 15 minutes+ of full concentration and awareness .. we're at a few hundred tries on heroic it's still entertaining

    edit: Seeds hit your intitial position about 1.5-2 seconds after their spawn, thus it's a common tactic to clump up on heroic and move as one. On normalmode i'd advise trying this: stay spread out and soak the damage from the initial hit before moving, this way you don't risk getting oneshotted from multiple seeds or running into another ones egg.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    22

    Tips?

    So we got to Rag a couple nights ago; our biggest problem is clearly the transition phase. Any tips for those adds on 10 man? We never even came close to getting them down in time. Maybe like got three of them down before the other five explode. Maybe. Eight adds for five dps is fucking brutal. I have absolutely no idea how you do this without knockbacks; we don't have any. Ideas?Edit : our dps is around 21k avg, all five of us. Just keep farming th first six til we get up to 30k? Edit : die in fire blizz. 15 attempts later, got four adds down. Impossible.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1
    We have our tanks split up and get the last one on each side. We have a hunter put up a trap. We also have our heals stick close to the hammer and use any stuns (i.e switching to bear form, hammer, etc) if needed. The closest add on each side is handled by a warrior who can stun to help out.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Shambells View Post
    So we got to Rag a couple nights ago; our biggest problem is clearly the transition phase. Any tips for those adds on 10 man? We never even came close to getting them down in time. Maybe like got three of them down before the other five explode. Maybe. Eight adds for five dps is fucking brutal. I have absolutely no idea how you do this without knockbacks; we don't have any. Ideas?Edit : our dps is around 21k avg, all five of us. Just keep farming th first six til we get up to 30k? Edit : die in fire blizz. 15 attempts later, got four adds down. Impossible.
    I think there is something flawed with your methodology. We have had pug nights where we were down to 18k average and we smoothly went through those phases.

    Tanks on the ones furthest (obviously on the "tank side"). Closest ones the melee get, but in general each person just takes one and downs it. There is no excuse for healers to not be helping, same with tanks. It is pretty darn obvious, but the key to the phase is front-loading damage. No one should ever open up with anything but an instant. While nuking is key, also remember to get early damage on all of them. Even if your healers only give 2 or 3 global cooldowns (which they should easily be able to spare) thats a big difference. The goal is to apply damage to each son as FAST as possible - keep that in sight. Also, remember that their speed gets cut a lot for each 8250 damage done, thus why you are trying to spread damage early.

    If that isn't working, try bringing more melee to your raids? I don't know the rogue/warrior classes that well, but DKs, enh Shamans and feral druids have it easy on this fight.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by outbackjack View Post
    The Molten Seed (I assume thats what you mean when you're saying "egg") does seem to have a travel time to it. I've noticed that it picks the spot you were standing in when it was "cast" from the lava to your current spot. Kinda disconcerting when you're trying to get away from the healer that suddenly moved forward at the last second for some odd reason..
    I know this, still sometimes I don't get any seed, at all, I'm not sure if was the exact time I'm tanking but I look around and there is only the ones from the only 2 ppl by my zone, that's it. The worst part of the fight is actually the 2nd phase, when you get Engulfing Flame, Hammer, and Seeds overlapping 2 at a time sometimes.
    When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity. - Albert Einstein

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    22

    More help pls

    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    I think there is something flawed with your methodology. We have had pug nights where we were down to 18k average and we smoothly went through those phases.Tanks on the ones furthest (obviously on the "tank side"). Closest ones the melee get, but in general each person just takes one and downs it. There is no excuse for healers to not be helping, same with tanks. It is pretty darn obvious, but the key to the phase is front-loading damage. No one should ever open up with anything but an instant. While nuking is key, also remember to get early damage on all of them. Even if your healers only give 2 or 3 global cooldowns (which they should easily be able to spare) thats a big difference. The goal is to apply damage to each son as FAST as possible - keep that in sight. Also, remember that their speed gets cut a lot for each 8250 damage done, thus why you are trying to spread damage early. If that isn't working, try bringing more melee to your raids? I don't know the rogue/warrior classes that well, but DKs, enh Shamans and feral druids have it easy on this fight.
    So a strat like this then?Frequently we run into this:Hammer on melee side, 2 adds on left 6 on right of hammer. So I'd respond with rogue on far left, then hance sham on first left. Dk tank DG first right. Ret pally on 2nd right. Bear healer bash + hunter on 3rd right. Holy pally HoJ + fire Mage on 4th right. Prot war and same dk tank do 5 & 6 right and first right. But somehow the coordination always gets screwed and one gets away. It's incredibly irritating. And we haven't made it to 2nd transition yet where I lose a tank. And I have a holy priest that idk what to do with. Holy fire and smite?Any help for this dumb RL would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1
    We have just recently gotten to Rag putting in about 6 hours on him over two nights and we wasted prolly two hours of that on that add phase until we discovered that if you take the time to set up everyone with a certain add, you will find that it isnt bad at all. We defined the add phase as a 4-4, 2,6, 6-2 split numbered the add spawn points as 1 thru 8 and assigned everyone to thier own add. Our raid make-up consists of me a prot warrior, prot paladin, enh shaman, Dk, ret pally, mage, hunter. holy pally, rest sham, resto druid. We use our three melee closest to the hammer with me being in the fourth closest spot, after that if your healers can do any damage at all really they will slow thier add and the melee will destroy it as it gets to them. We havent downed him yet but we are at the last phase hopefully this week we will. I think the biggest hump in this fight is not tunneling and missing something and everyone getting used to the pattern with which everything happens.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    22

    Thanks

    So assigning spots worked out really well thanks. The adds went down with no problem once we did that, though our holy priest now hates me for making her smite. She went disc off spec for that fight so it doesn't suck as much for her. The 2nd phase we are working on now seems like LK p2 with stack and spread and conflicting requirements so that it's just a nightmare for the RL. Just wanted to say thanks for the tips.

  13. #33
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,977
    How are people handling the living meteors in 10 man? we're lusting, nuking the scions and then kiting them, we get rag down to 24% by the time we get our 4th meteor and then slowely wipe.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,132
    Kill 6-7 sons and the other 1-2 low, kill at least one scion without lust before the last phase even begun. Kill the last son(s) before here emerges and then then LUST!, clump together next to him and pop your potions. He'll hammer once (can't hit any of you if positioned properly) and only 30s later he'll set the world in flames. With the second hammer he'll spawn a meteor, now you should take your positions for the rest of the fight on both ends of the plateau.

    Assuming you three heal it when you're talking about 4 meteors? Split into two groups: both tanks, a ranged and two healers on one side while melees, the remaining healer and the rest of your dps on the other (= no parry for your melees).

    Assign ONE player per side who's responsible for kicking the meteors, this job can be done by healers especially that on on the side with no tanks (other then that he should deal pseudo dps to the boss, only incoming damage is from world in flames or failures like Lava wave). You can only kick the meteors when they glow (~ 5-6 seconds after the last kick), they also get a buff called "Combustion" you can track. Only one player per side is important so the rest of your raid can work even harder on the boss, with everyone wasting globals on the (inactive) meteors you're going to lose a ton of dps.

    It's important to split up both groups evenly so it's more likely that the meteor change the side after a knockback. If you get unlucky and the meteor is heading 3-4 times to the same direction the fixated player (every bossmod should warn you about that) will have to kite the meteor away from the camp so you don't get overwhelmed.

    With lust worn off and your two groups settled the last scion should be dead from multidotting/cleaving and Ragnaros about 30ish percent when the first meteor spawns. Don't panic, watch your timers for world in flames and hammers and get in proper positions to avoid both. Some boss-percent later the second meteor will spawn. Check timer and your feet for the glowing circle before the impact. Your kicker will have to work harder now, if things gets messy he should call out for an assigned backup and Ragnaros should be somewhere around 20ish percent by then. Handling the meteors while avoiding WiF and Lavawaves is now most important, when the third meteor spawn get ready to kite them while the other 7 players slowly wrestle the Firelord down.

  15. #35
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,977
    Thank you.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3
    I haven't seen this addressed, but would it be possible or even worth it for a pally to use their bubble and explode a meteor to get it out of the way?

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    311
    they don't go away after they explode... they just kill everyone in 8 yards then pick a new target.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    3
    Ah, ok.. thanks

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Latvia|Riga
    Posts
    28
    Quick ones
    1) Hungering cold
    2) Fear
    3) Root
    4) Ring Of Frost
    Do they work on adds?
    If at first you don't succeed, you are running about average

  20. #40
    Unless something drastic changed with the nerfs you can not immobilize the adds (the exception to this is Stun effects like Shockwave or Shadowfury), only slow them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggathon View Post
    Sounds like the guy who ran in front of the train had an even worse week than you guys did.

+ Reply to Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts