+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Heroic Chimaeron

Heroic Chimaeron

Quote Originally Posted by Papapaint
    Hello, and welcome to Tankspot's Heroic Cataclysm Raid Guide. My name is Papapaint, and in this video, I will be discussing the strategy for Hard Mode Chimaeron in the Blackwing descent raid instance. This guide will assume you are familiar with normal mode, and deal exclusively with the changes present in the hard mode encounter.

From a healing perspective, the fight is relatively unchanged. You still only need to heal people to over 10k, but tank healing and fued-phase healing are slightly more intense. This fight boils down to Tank coordination and DPS control.

The first item of note is the unchanged enrage timer; it is still 7 minutes, but chimaeron's health has been increased to 126 million. This, combined with what is essentially a three-tank requirement, means you need to maximize your damage where you can. We ran with 7 healers to cover the intense fued phase healing, and used two tanks. Because of the mechanic preventing any player from being one-shot as long as they are over 10k, we opted to have a DPS DK tank as long as Finkle's mixture was up. The other tanks tanked him during fued phase and soaked double attacks during Finkle's Mixture. This increased our DPS output with no change in healing requirements.

The next change from normal mode concerns "Fued" phase. After Chimaeron casts fued, Papa Nefarian will tell his little hydra child's heads to quit bickering. Chimaeron will Fued for only two seconds, then revert back to meleeing his primary aggro target and continue to stack break. To handle this, you'll want a tank with no stacks of break to pick him up. Your raid will still go without Finkle's mixture until the next Massacre, so you need to have your raid stack up to soak the poison vomit just like on normal mode. Your tank should stand away from the raid to prevent the vomit from hitting him as well. Chimaeron will double attack once during this phase, and a tank with a single stack of break can rotate cooldowns to survive it.

Please note that your tank needs to be topped up in the two second window following the massacre that knocks bile-o-tron offline. We rotated Guardian Spirit and Lay on Hands to ensure he wouldn't be gibbed by a quick melee.

The reason for having three tanks--even if one of them is actually just a melee DPS--is on the likely chance that Chimaeron will knock Bile-o-Tron offline two massacres in a row. If this happens, the last Fued tank will still have stacks of break, and will definitely die upon application of the third stack OR from double attack--chimaeron hits hard to begin with, and him hitting 50-75% harder will ruin your day. With three tanks, you can rotate between two tanks on Fued phases to ensure that you're always using a tank with zero break stacks.

The final change occurs in phase 3. Nefarian will cast a shadow DoT spell on your whole raid called "Mocking Shadow," which deals one to two thousand damage per second to your entire raid. While you are still unable to heal players, you can mitigate the DoT with Power Word: Barrier, Raid Wall, Aura Mastery, and other personal cooldowns. Because of this, it's best to enter the final phase with your whole raid topped off. Chimaeron will not apply the healing debuff until riiiiight around 22%, so we chose to bring him down to 24%, waited for massacre, stacked up, topped the raid off, and pushed him into the final phase. As in normal mode, hike up your britches, pop cooldowns, and go to town.

Thanks for watching this guide. As usual, feel free to leave comments either on youtube or the official strategy thread on tankspot.com. You can also subscribe to this channel for access future raid guides. I have included the last half of this fight with some commentary to demonstrate how we handled the encounter.

Is that how you always talk or are you attempting the announcer voice on purpose?

Quote Originally Posted by wsicks View Post
    Is that how you always talk or are you attempting the announcer voice on purpose?
    That is my normal voice.

Good guide, awesome voice :P

Good guide. Normally I wouldn't be a spelling Nazi, but you got this wrong so many times it's silly; it's "Feud" not "Fued".

One thing you can do for last phase to let your dps stay alive a little longer: as you are going close to 30-40%, have your holy palas taunt the boss with a tank immediately ready to taunt back. Even if they do get a hit from the boss, they will still survive it due to the debuff.

If you get this right then after nom-noming the tanks in p3 the boss will go for your holy palas and not dpsers, since they will be highest on threat behind tanks. Saves you a couple of seconds of alive dpsers going on the boss while he is finishing the pink spots in your grid.
    Time this properly though to avoid the risk of chaustic slimes finishing of the holies, try to do it as soon as they have 10k after a massacre, since he doesn't slime for 10-15 seconds after each, you should have enough time to heal up to 10 k again.
    Razzoc of Kill Loot Repeat , Sylvanas EU

papaint, your voice is FUCKING AWESOME
    justin.tv/Belligra

Watch me play SC2 ladder and enjoy the lolz

Quote Originally Posted by swills View Post
    Good guide. Normally I wouldn't be a spelling Nazi, but you got this wrong so many times it's silly; it's "Feud" not "Fued".
    I'm only 375 Spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Papapaint View Post
    I'm only 375 Spelling.
    376 now. You skilled up from this correction.
    "Kyle, this is the way the world works. If you want to find quality friends, you have to wade through all the dicks first." -Cartman

Papapaint or anyone else,

Has anyone done this on ten? I'm wondering if the DPS offtank is still recommended...from a survivability standpoint I'd assume so, but it proportional to the amount of dps you can bring it seems like it'd make it much rougher.

You still need dps "maintank" but now want to bring two regulary offtanks to swap during for feud phases/double attack duty. There are also very few parses of two-tanking the boss but it requires certain classes/speccs.

Sorry, "offtank" was a bad phrase, but yeah, to main tank. Thanks for the clarification though regarding using it on 10 man.

The strat we use in normal is that we have two tanks, 1 takes every stack of break, and the other takes every double attack. Works very well.

Just to make sure Im seeing this right, what you're saying in this is to have three tanks. 1, 2, and 3. Tank 1 starts and takes every stack of break, tank 2 takes every double attack. Feud comes, and tank 3 starts to take every break, and tank 2 still takes every double attack. Back and forth like that seems pretty easy. Soon as break has dropped from tank 1 (probably after the feud ends) he taunts for break stacks while tank 3 drops his stacks.
    In a case where feud happens two massacres in a row, then tank 2 who has 0 stacks of break starts stacking those while hopefully the one that has been sitting out of tanking for a while is now clear of stacks of break and takes the double attack.

That seems easy to me so I guess I'm missing something. What is it?

Short question: we are @ chimaeron 10hc right now and for some reason we wipe after the first feud, because bile-o-tron stays inactive for the next massacre??

are we doing something wrong or is it just buggy?

How many feud phases do you normally go through?
    It's difficult to tell by the video but it seems like 3.

Does anyone know how to handle chimaeron hc 10man, if you dont have a third tank or feral druid?
    We already have like 30 tries and only brought him down to 17% once.
    Our setup is:
    Warri (Tank/DD)
    Pala(Tank/Heal)
    Pala(heal)
    Shaman(ele/heal)
    druid(balance/heal)
    Enhancer
    Priest(holy/disci)
    Priest(shadow)
    Mage(fire)
    Warlock(demo/destro)

Our strategy:
    Pala tank begins until first feud. Then warri tank takes 2 double attacks during feud with CDs. Then first problematic situation. Warri tanks the third double attack as well, and this is very luck dependant.
    We thought about taunting with the pala heal aswell, but the double attacks deal too much damage for him.
    But still usually we can manage this taunt with only2 tanks.
    Then warri tanks until second feud.
    Then pala takes over... and then usually the fight is over after the paladin has no more CDs and the warrior has still stacks.
    Right now i am clueless whether there is a solution or whether chimaeron hc is pretty much undoable without a feral or a third tank.
    Any ideas or clues?

Have your ENH Shaman MT Chim, if he goes with rockbiter it can be used as a taunt.

Can you confirm that he goes into phase 2 at 22%?

On 10man normal he waits until 20%.

This 2% discrepancy will be crucial in timing the p2 shortly after a feud starts.

Is it possible to have a warrior tank intervene on a dps tank for the double attacks so he always soaks the first attack ?

Quote Originally Posted by Garbid View Post
    Is it possible to have a warrior tank intervene on a dps tank for the double attacks so he always soaks the first attack ?
    Probably, but if the War tank has any stacks of breaks he is going to explode if you're trying this during a feud.

+ Reply to Thread