+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Paladin. Threat. Raids. I suck.

Paladin. Threat. Raids. I suck.

I recently decided to dust off my paladin and go for tanking. An opportunity to raid as such opened up, but this is the first time I've done any raid tanking since... Muru (which was a totally different era).

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte.../Gwynne/simple

I feel like I've done damn near everything I can outside of raids to get my dude ready. I am in instances pretty constantly. I've tried a lot of different specs and "rotations" and I've stalked some higher end tanks for advice... but I'm still having issues.

One glaring problem, I think, is I'm 358 vs. a raid foll of 368 ilvl. Perhaps I'm crazy and this doesn't make a difference? Then again, I don't really see a whole lot of others with my issue, so it *must* be me.

For the record, I have RF up, I use DP and Inq and crusader/judge. I've tried a lot of different rotations. If i have it and it does damage or increases it, i'm using it on CD.

I can manage 20-30k TPS in bursts but it isn't sustainable - i'm quite typically 15-20. Considering i watch the MT pull 40-50k I feel like something is horribly wrong because DPS can just peel off of me seemingly effortlessly. All anyone can seem to offer is "are you popping wings? dp?" Yes. I am. Hell, I'm popping golembloods ffs.

HALP.

Is the MT who's doing 40-50k tps getting all the tricks/misdirects? When are people pulling off you? At the beginning of the pull, or during the middle of the fight?
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Is the MT who's doing 40-50k tps getting all the tricks/misdirects?
    This is a really good question, I will try to get a hold of some logs and find out. The peeling happens sometimes early on (pull), but sometimes later on even if I had a really good lead.

Logs would be useful, because most threat issues are entirely products of an incorrect or inefficient rotation. Loads of people say "I'm doing the right rotation but I still have threat issues!" and they aren't.

Understood. This was Shannox last night (unsuccessful but we're not going to do it the same way tonight). I'm not sure which page of wol is most useful, so let me know what exactly i should provide.

xZuYn.jpg

If i'm single target I followed some various advice: DP > Inq > Exor ~ wings/AS/Judge/CS/repeat

I'd be absolutely thrilled with any advice, especially if it's a glaring problem i can fix.

The link to your log would help best, then we can rifle through to see whats happening. Could you be a little clearer on your rotation? less about the opening, more about you're cruising ability usage, coz that looks like very few ShotRs on that pic

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynne View Post
    If i'm single target I followed some various advice: DP > Inq > Exor ~ wings/AS/Judge/CS/repeat
    Your rotation is your issue. Pulling with DP>Inq>Wings>Exo>AS before he gets into melee range is good but your steady state rotation is way off. You should be using a priority queue of SotR>CS>AS>J.
    #1 priority: SotR if you have 3 HP. Never use SotR on 1 or 2 HP.
    #2: CS: if CS is off CS, use it. This takes priority over AS and J even with Grand Crusader procs
    #3 AS: CS on CD and not 3 HP? use AS
    #4 J
    #5 you'll occasionally have spare GCDs: fill them HW/Cons/Holy Radiance/whatever you like (they contribute ~3% of your single-target DPS)

The 'rotation' will look a bit like CS-X-CS-X-CS-SotR-repeat with GC procs shortening it occasionally to CS-AS-CS-SotR or CS-X-CS-AS-SotR.

Inq is generally not used for single-target DPS except on the pull*.

Protpally rotation theorycraft can be found at http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.c...593309#p593309

* the above theorycrafting has a more complicated rotation including inq at a 0.6% DPS increase. I'd recommend getting the basic rotation down before messing with Inq.

Your ability usage (not damage) breakdown should look something along the lines of:
    47% CS / HotR
    19% SotR (or WoG) (or Inq if AoE tanking)
    13% AS
    11% J
    10% Other stuff / empty GCDs
    You should be using CS just about every second GCD. Your WoL screenshot shows 39 CS+HotR casts and 29 AS casts so you're definitely nowhere close to using CS on CD. ~50% of your damage should be coming from CS & SotR.
    Last edited by iminmmnni; 06-29-2011 at 09:41 PM.

Hey all. Thanks for the replies and input. I have redoubled my efforts in assuring I keep everything on CD with an emphasis on CS to give me 3 HP for SotR. It's working really well so far.

+ Reply to Thread