+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Lord Rhyolith

Two keys to the transition. One, you want everyone topped off going into the second phase cause the first stomp will hurt a lot. This means even though you are burning the feet to push the phase as soon as possible, you can't let yourself get tunnel vision and take extra damage from something like a magma flow. Two, you need to kinda learn the sweet spot for ranged to group up behind the boss such that AoE healing can hit the melee as well, but the ranged are not being knocked back. It's helpful if melee stands close to their max range so that it is easier for the ranged to gauge where to stand. One of the few things that can cause the second phase to go sour is healers not healing to their full potential or ranged dps not burning to their full potential because they took a knockback that could have been avoided. Some groups may also choose to pop a cooldown for the first stomp to help while the raid repositions however if the raid was topped off before the phase started it shouldn't be necessary.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Great guide! But I am wondering: when are you guys going to make a Heroic Lord Ryolith guide? I know "Months Behind" has downed him, so shouldn't it soon be time to make a guide?

Keep up the good work Your guides has helped me alot!

Well the fight isn't really different from normal mode on 10m, you'll want to avoid Magma Flow at all cost and kill him between bombing fragments and nuking sparks. All you need is more dps to do that and you'll have to think about bringing 2 or 3 healers for 10m (3 = it's more likely you'll have to deal with some superheated stacks, 2 = you seriously can't eat more than a few Magma Flows or you're done).

3 dps to drive him, 3 for the adds leaving you with one addiotional dps in a 2 healer setup assisting on the spark and driving.

I have a few question about this fight. Our raid group is DOT heavy (we run with 2 locks and a feral druid). If the same dots are applied to each leg will this effect the speed at which you can turn him?
    Also during phase 2 we are having a hard time with every1 just dying (at the start everyone will be full health then shortly afterward bam everyone is dead). Do most raid groups stack up for this phase or does anyone have anyother advise to help with this phase? He is going down quick but we have wiped at least 3 times with him being at 3 percent or so.

Yes, you should stack up in Phase 2 so that you can pop your healing cooldowns like Tranquility, or PW: Barrier. You should have a rotation of those cooldowns so that you have one up most of the time. This is when your healers should be spamming their AoE heals since Rhyolith will still be stomping, and doing that AoE fire damage. Drop any AoE heals you have below you, pop Bloodlust and just kill him as quickly as possible. As for dots, I don't think having the same dots on him will make it harder to turn, but when turning him, you should get the locks to transfer their dots to the other leg if they can(I believe locks have this ability?) or just stop reapplying dots when you are going to turn him, since they will slow down the speed with which you turn him. We have 2 locks and a feral druid in my raid too, and we haven't been having too much trouble turning him.

Dots

We ran into that problem as well, ret hance rogue drivers. If you aren't very careful with your dot applications, you can seriously screw yourself. He will literally drive right into the lava. Either stop applying dots right before he needs to turn (which can be very difficult to judge based on f•cking RNG spawns), or simply do not use dots. I personally didn't believe this would be effective after countless attempts on this boss driving right into the lava until we literally banned dots one attempt and the mofo just fell over easy as pie. We loosened the ban after we realized you just have to be VERY careful with DoTs.

I wouldn't recommend not using Dots, putting dots on both legs will do the same effect as not putting dots up on either but will increase the damage done over all shortening both phases,

Moar Dots

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    I wouldn't recommend not using Dots, putting dots on both legs will do the same effect as not putting dots up on either but will increase the damage done over all shortening both phases,
    And for the classes that can effectively multi-dot that works. But those are usually ranged classes. And most guilds use melee to drive. For my toon, the dot that ends up screwing me is searing totem as a hancer. By the time I get it stacked it's usually time to switch legs, except my totem is too retarded to switch. (WTB f$cking /petassist. /glare [target=blizzard]). So it's sitting there doing a not inconsequential amount of damage to the other leg while we are trying desperately to turn him. And then he drinks. Now repeat that fifty or so times. And then guess why we outlawed dots on the legs. It's just not worth it.

That sounds more like the failing of an individual which is the point what Tengenstein is getting at. Each individual is responsible for doing their job correctly. In your example it isn't everyone applying DoTs failing at the mechanics, it's one specific person.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

I agree to a point. As raid lead in a guild that could generously be described as semi hardcore, I know that it's usually the aggregation of a series of individual failures that leads to a wipe. I can't count on optimal play at all times from all raiders, including myself. I can barely count on decent play. And given the target audience of these forums, I hardly doubt I'm alone. With all that being said, while learning this fight, or any other, I see it as my job as RL to minimize the number of things my raiders have to think about. Therefore, when we were progressing on this bos, I found it simpler to ban dots outright than add yet another thing to my raiders' platter. Once we had it safely on farm, to speed it up, yes you can multidot the legs. However, I would never make that suggestion to anyone attempting to learn the fight. Also, given the armor buff on his legs, we found later that multidotting doesn't shave much time from the fight, as the only Part of the fight that could conceivably be considered a dps race is the last 25%. Which lasts not even the duration of heroism. So to reiterate my point, the risk vs reward of dotting the legs is minimal, at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Shambells View Post
    the only Part of the fight that could conceivably be considered a dps race is the last 25%.
    I don't find this to be true; in practice P1 is much more of a race for the DPS. If he stays in P1 too long multiple active volcanoes are likely to tax your healers - eventually beyond reason. P2, at least on normal, is no longer an issue of any kind. The fight is basically over when he hits P2 now.

Also, given the armor buff on his legs, we found later that multidotting doesn't shave much time from the
    This is specious reasoning. The armor effects ALL damage so scaled DoTs are just as important to bringing down the legs as scaled melee, scaled range or scaled direct damage spells... it's all DPS and he needs to hit 25% as soon as possible.

Personally, as a RL, if you're asking your DPS not to DPS something that needs to die quickly... well you better damn sure have a solid reason for that. I don't really see it here.

At any rate it's a bit of a moot argument anyway. This fight is easier than most 5-man cata content now. I forgot to put my DPS gear on last time and we still downed him (basically 1 DPS on the legs). It's difficult to have a serious strategy discussion about the boss in his current state.

Agreed, those comments were pre-nerf. As a result, though I think it still has merit, I'll not continue the argument. Just go faceroll through the instance for the next four months. They at least could have done the nerfs like ICC and ramped them up. GG.

+ Reply to Thread