+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lord Rhyolith

there are a handfull of mods that can move it.

yes i had the same problem, and i moved it.

My guild got our first kill on him last week with some relative ease, but since the "nerf" we had a very hard time with him tonight. He seemed really stubborn and straightened out way too fast...anyone else having any problems? Or did we just suck worse this week?

Hi there, please help us with this Boss10 man raid, made up of 2 tanks, 1 dk bloody 1 pally tank. 3 healers 1 druid, 1 priest and 1 pally. 5 dps 1 hunter 1 mage 1 boomie 1 frost dk 1 ele shammy.For boss we have tried paly tank to go ret with frost dk and mage on legs, turning is too slow, far to slow, we have tried same combo but with a hunter, sort of better, then using just 1 tank on fragments after a while they are scattered not managed properly and that becomes more issues. Ive read you need 3 melee so how are guilds downing this boss if they do not have 3 melee in the grp ? this boss seems buggy to us, we had a ret pally in ilvl 378 gear veyr decked out, be from the number 1 guild on my realm and using him 1 dk dps and a mage in between the legs turnt so easy, but with our full raid grp where people arent in or near full 378 leg turning is an issue, its slow, to slow. SO if we put 4 dps on legs we are damned on frgaments/sparks. what do you suggest ? we are ditching this boss and going to bale instead as 3 weeks we cannot down him. Only ones we have down are shannox and beth on easy farm, and lord being a huge hinder in progress

Hi Cheekyazz,

we've put Ryolith at 100k yesterday at our first/last pool.

Use 1 tank - 3 healers - 6 DPS (4 casters).

1) All DPS at the legs, he will walk faster. (3 at each legs, you must assign).

2) Tank taking fragments and spraks.

3) When adds pop, all ranged switch and burst adds. Only the 2 remaining DPS (pala/war/dk) stay at the legs during adds.

Assign somebody to lead the DPS of the legs (much easier if someone lead this DPS focus).

The boss will walk quickly to all volcano and you will get the boss quickly to 25%.

All raid should be behind the boss at transition ... burn BL and go loot !

Good luck.

How many volcanoes is everyone hitting before getting him to 25%?

We worked on him last night and seemed to have issues getting below 50-ish%. We had the normal issues where people stood in the fire but several attempts we had the boss up for 5+ minutes and I felt like we should have went into P2 but weren't close. I felt like the healers kept people up long enough to get us to P2 and while the adds DPS wasn't stellar, it seeme like they had it under control more times than not.

We have 3 melee on the feet. Steering seems to be ok but I do feel like we are turning a lot chasing volcanoes all over the plateau. We only seem to hit 6-8 (about 1 every 30 - 45 secs or so). We can certainly do better by 2-3 but is 8-10 volanoes enough?

Thanks.
    Ideus, Blood Elf Death Knight
    Officer, Tears of the Phoenix, Ysera US

We always get him to 0% armor before phase 2.

Quote Originally Posted by moonkin View Post

1) All DPS at the legs, he will walk faster. (3 at each legs, you must assign).
    Hi Moonkin,

As a dps warrior, I see the damage I/we are doing increasing as we blast his armor down with his volcanoes, but I havent seen a pattern with dps/walk speed.

I understand the more dps means a shorter encounter and the higher/focused dps means tighter turns.

Can any here add to the "More Dps = He will speed up" theory?

My guild seems to be having similar problems to Skinzenbonz where we break the armor all off and then the fight seems to continue to drag on. Are people moving rdps over to his body whenever the armor is completely off and pushing him to the last phase? Talking 10m here, group makeup is:

1 prot pally tank
    3 mdps driving (rogue, frost dk, fury warrior)
    3 rdps on adds mostly (mage, lock, hunter)
    3 heals (holy priest, shammy, druid)

I'll mention also we're probably average ilvl between 363-366 at this point.

Also, after the armor is gone, do your drivers keep driving him towards active volcanos or are you just looking to burn him into the last phase? From videos, it seems like active volcanos AND adds disappear when he goes into the last phase, is that correct? Thanks for any tips.

Quote Originally Posted by steveh View Post
    My guild seems to be having similar problems to Skinzenbonz where we break the armor all off and then the fight seems to continue to drag on. Are people moving rdps over to his body whenever the armor is completely off and pushing him to the last phase? Talking 10m here, group makeup is:

1 prot pally tank
    3 mdps driving (rogue, frost dk, fury warrior)
    3 rdps on adds mostly (mage, lock, hunter)
    3 heals (holy priest, shammy, druid)

I'll mention also we're probably average ilvl between 363-366 at this point.

Also, after the armor is gone, do your drivers keep driving him towards active volcanos or are you just looking to burn him into the last phase? From videos, it seems like active volcanos AND adds disappear when he goes into the last phase, is that correct? Thanks for any tips.
    I have only seen his feet as targets till he hit's 25%. Volcano's stay up until he hit's p2, so we still steer him to them so stacks do not get so high since he still does all the same things once his armor is gone that he did prior to that.

Short version is burn feet to 25% and handle the fight the same way you handled it from the start until you are at 25%. At 25% however, everything despawns and you just have the boss. There is however a delay in the time phase 2 starts and he is actually damage/threat able. I know because tuesday, I was tanking adds/boss and when p2 started I taunted and layed into him. He stood up 2-3 seconds later and 1 shot the druid standing there. The druid had 800k threat, so it appears the threat carries over from p1 to p2. Just be aware, at least it appears so anyhow.

Very pleased to say our little Guild knocked this Guy off his feet.

Our Pally tank has a heals offset, so we single Tanked it.

Our Raid leader instructed us (just before phase 2,) to have him simply miss volcanoes, so his Molten Fury buff dropped off, ranged and healers stacked as soon as he sat down, and we got the kill.

I found this fight to be a little frustrating, as a melee, I wish it was as easy as it seemed, I felt we should have finished him before last night, but for us, he's down now.

Hello all. Me and my guild seem to be having some problems on this fight on HC. Our setup is the following:-

1 Protection Warrior
    2 Healers - Shaman and Paladin
    2 Melee - Frost DK and Feral Druid
    5 Ranged - Warlock,Mage,ShadowPriest,Hunter and a Boomkin

We seem to be downing everything very smoothly, running him over volcano's, adds are dying quickly but we still seem to be at least nearly 1 minute out on the Superheated timer of 5mins. We are getting him to 90% on the pull just after the first stomp at the start of the fight, we are DPSing the legs at 30 armour stacks. I don't know what we are doing wrong. If anyone has some advice it would be great. Thank you

You two heal this fight on heroic (woot!) and still don't manage to push him before the superheated mark? Unless you're running with very low dps (compared to others with a three healer lineup) i can't see what's wrong with you - a log might help. Do your assigned spark/fragment killers multidot both legs to speed things up? With a warlock, shadowpriest and a boomkin your lineup is predestinated for this. We use three dps on the legs and three dps on the adds and we barely manage all that at the first superheated mark.

Yeah, everyone dots everything and nukes everything. We use the DK to switch on the blobs to stop them running to the boss as well. I just don't understand =/ and most of the DPS are pulling 15-20K+ DPS

Anyone have any suggestions from the point of view of a Destro warlock for this fight? Im having to move around so much i cant keep my dps above 10k. Any help would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheekyazz View Post
    Hi there, please help us with this Boss10 man raid, made up of 2 tanks, 1 dk bloody 1 pally tank. 3 healers 1 druid, 1 priest and 1 pally. 5 dps 1 hunter 1 mage 1 boomie 1 frost dk 1 ele shammy.For boss we have tried paly tank to go ret with frost dk and mage on legs, turning is too slow, far to slow, we have tried same combo but with a hunter, sort of better, then using just 1 tank on fragments after a while they are scattered not managed properly and that becomes more issues. Ive read you need 3 melee so how are guilds downing this boss if they do not have 3 melee in the grp ? this boss seems buggy to us, we had a ret pally in ilvl 378 gear veyr decked out, be from the number 1 guild on my realm and using him 1 dk dps and a mage in between the legs turnt so easy, but with our full raid grp where people arent in or near full 378 leg turning is an issue, its slow, to slow. SO if we put 4 dps on legs we are damned on frgaments/sparks. what do you suggest ? we are ditching this boss and going to bale instead as 3 weeks we cannot down him. Only ones we have down are shannox and beth on easy farm, and lord being a huge hinder in progress
    In our 10m setup we use 1 tank.
    We got 2 melee dps and 1 ranged (ele shaman ) on the legs. We use the ele shaman for steering, since he has good overview. Especially in the start when he has many armor stacks using cooldowns helps alot for the tricky turns! Communicate for dps cooldownuse.
    We run with 3 healers.

We got 2 hunters 1 Mage on the adds, the misdirects help alot

Our average ilvl is about 365-370, so i think turning should not be a problem. Just make sure to use dps cooldowns at the start, since dps is low due to his armor. When his armor drops turning is getting much more easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheekyazz View Post
    To respond to the general question of how to do it in 10 man, I'll quote myself from over in the Strategy Discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinafoi View Post
    On 10 man normal I've been using the single tank method with three DPS on the feet and three DPS on the adds. Even if the spark doesn't die before the fragments spawn, the fragments themselves aren't terribly threatening as far as their regular melee is concerned.

As for steering the boss the method I've always been recommending is assigning two of the DPS to the inside leg and one to the outside leg of the curve you intend on taking. The one on the outside leg is largely responsible for actually steering the boss. With this split you will make a relatively consistent large circle and the person on the outer leg can switch to the inside leg to sharpen the turn as needed. Favor going wide as it is always easier for the one DPS to switch and sharpen a corner than it is for the others to switch and swing the boss around.

When volcanos spawn in the middle you have two general options. One is to make a smaller circle one time in the same direction to cut through the middle. The other is to cut through the middle and flip turning directions like half of a figure eight. Where other volcanos are will largely determine which of these is ideal. If it's time to sharpen the turn the steering DPS switches to the inside leg. If changing directions is required they should call for the other two dps to switch legs as the boss is passing through the middle. If changing directions isn't required they should return to the outside leg trying to once again widen the curve. Also, the DPS in charge of the team never actually has to call out instructions for the rest of the steering team unless their job is changing reducing the amount of commands required (if I can do the necessary job myself, I don't need to tell everyone else, only if I need them to do something do I need to talk).

I find this method is slightly more effective in 10 man normal than having all of the steering DPS switching back and forth because it should only require the other two dps not in charge of the team to switch if the direction of the boss is actually being changed. Having all DPS switch back and forth causes the bosses steering to be a lot more volatile, having only one switch causes much smoother steering.

One other note, on a single tank strategy you have to come to understand that the spark is actually higher kill priority than the fragments simply because it needs to die quickly enough for your tank to be able to pick up the fragments. Since the fragments die relatively quickly dps should be able to catch up on those before they explode.

Once the feet reach 40% or less health, the ranged DPS should clean up any currently active adds and then switch to burning the feet to push the phase. It only requires about 75k raid dps on the feet to push that remaining 15% before any new adds would detonate which even given the ramp up time of some classes any 10 man raid in tier 12 should easily be able to do. Meanwhile the tank simply tanks any new adds and waits for the phase to despawn them.

While the method you employ is largely up to you, if you are a 10 man normal raid this is my general recommendation.

Use a one tank strategy with three dps on adds and three dps on the boss. DPS assigned to adds should avoid DPSing the boss unevenly to prevent any unintended change in direction, if you are one of these dps and attack one foot, try to also do the same attacks to the other foot to balance out as a very general rule. Having three DPS on the boss will not only make steering him significantly easier but will also shorten the first phase simply because his health is droping a little faster. Of the three DPS on the boss, one needs to step up and take charge. That one person will do the vast majority of actual steering the boss while the other two remain consistently on the inside leg unless directed to switch. One person making the decisions and one person controling how wide or sharp the curve will be will result in significantly smoother boss steering than if all of them are trying to switch back and forth and the boss is swinging around wildly.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by mad_hatter_md01 View Post
    Anyone have any suggestions from the point of view of a Destro warlock for this fight? Im having to move around so much i cant keep my dps above 10k. Any help would be nice.
    Move around less. As a ranged DPS the only reason you really have to move is to avoid the magma flows. This fight doesn't actually require a lot of movement for ranged DPS and if you are moving excessively then you are probably simply moving unnecessarily. Additionally a fight where the boss starts with an 80% damage reduction you shouldn't be surprised to see lower average DPS numbers in the first place.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

We were working on this last night and were under the impression we had to get the armor to 20% to phase change, but it's the legs to 25% that pushes him I take it? We had gotten the armor to 30% a couple of times. But I'm assuming that as the armor wears down we should be pushing the dps on the legs.

On normal mode you should be getting him to 0% armor well before the phase change (around 50-60% health) however as DPS increases the amount of time spent in phase one decreases so over time you may actually start seeing the flip sooner. As a general rule, you want the feet to be about 40% at which point you can ignore any additional add spawns and easily burn him into the next phase before adds would explode. Depending on actual raid DPS you may be able to switch to burning him sooner but 15% in 30 seconds (add detonation time) is quite easy once his armor is gone.

Thanks, Q you've been very helpful. Our raid dps range is running 21kdps (the 2 mages) to 15kdps so we should be able to push him. We're one tanking and if everyone stays out of the fire and is mindful of avoiding stacks the healing is not that bad.

+ Reply to Thread