+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lord Rhyolith

Just make sure to have a tank outside the raid to taunt and take the Spark of Rhyolith out the raid asap. We had little difficulties with it which made healing a lot easier in phase 1. There is also a good guide out there on how to position here at: http://25man.com/firelands/rhyolith

Does it matter which leg you DPS first thou?

The legs share a healthpool so it doesn't matter which leg you start with so long as he doesnt reach the magma river.

My guild was having issues with the sparks in 10M version. we tanked them off to the side but it seemed that the next set of fragments came so fast that we couldnt kill the spark before switching to the fragments. After the dps downed the fragments and switched back to the spark the tank was taking too much dmg to heal thru. Did anyone else have this issue? I saw someone suggest only 1 dps assigned to adds and I just dont see how thats a possible strat. our build was 2 tanks 3 heals 2 melee and 3 ranged dps. we had to keep 3 to 4 dps on the feet when he was coming close to the river to turn him.

Another post mentioned that it doesnt appear to be actual dps that makes him turn, stating that even at 40-30% they were still having some issues turning him without switching an extra person onto the feet so would that suggest that it doesnt necesarily matter how much dps your doing but rather how many people are attacking it?

This fight seemed like it was one of the easier fights of this instance so long as people know how to stay out of fire I just want to try to get a good grasp of what we are doing wrong so I can lead the raid in the right direction.

I think it is more the amount of dps on the leg compared to the other one.

So a 50:50 split would make him run straight ahead, while a 60:40 split would make him turn slowly and a 90:10 split would force him to make a very tight turn.

arod:

As far as turning goes, it appeared to me that it was either based on the number of people attacking a foot, or the damage that would have been done to the foot before the obsidian armor reduction. If it were simply damage done, a single dps after the armor is reduced to zero stacks would have been more effective at turning than 3 or even 4 dps were at full stacks. This was simply not the case for us -- we saw no improvement in our ability to turn him as the fight progressed.

With adds, we did have only 1 assigned *permanently* but 95% of the time we had two full-time add dps. The second dps on adds was our swing man, in case we needed the boss to make a quick flip around to hit an active volcano behind him. Typically, this required ~5-10 seconds of extra dps time, before the second add dps could return to killing adds.

Even with low dps on the sparks, the damage is pretty manageable (should only be hitting tank anyhow) if you can keep the erupting volcanoes under control and limit the number of stacks your raid gets. The biggest thing killing us was the eruption and associated stacks, which is why we assigned that fourth dps to be ready for a quick dps switch for higher boss mobility.

For fragments, keep in mind that you have a full 30 seconds before they explode. If you're using two tanks, one tank should be on them full time. Depending on your tank's damage, your dps probably only need to be able to do 20k aoe to squash them before they pop. We found that it only took one dps to do this, leaving our 2nd add dps free to either dps the spark or hit the feet as needed.

Once again, the most critical thing for us was getting the active volcanoes stomped immediately. If you let them go and your raid gets high stacks, otherwise trivial damage becomes life-threatening. Sparks and fragments will crush your tanks, a misstep into a lava stream becomes a 1-shot on a dps or healer, and the boss's periodic concussive stomp will send your healers into panic mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemanorel View Post
    For anyone confused, looks to be Aliena's footage and Lore is narration... unless Lore rerolled to Holy priest.
    I watched Lore and Months Behind down Rhyolith on justin.tv. I think he found out that jtv stream quality sucks and that melee PoV sucks for showing this boss. I don't think you'd want to watch what we saw... A lot of boss ass and very little visual on adds.
    "They say that the best blaze brightest when circumstances are at their worse."

People,

I have a question regarding Ryolith's steering. Last night I was on add duty (prot war), mostly due to the lack of being able to see Ryolith's "steering bar".

I use Bartender4 for my action bars and pitbull for my unit frames (using a customized version of Caulle's UI). According to guildies the steering bar should be approximately in the middle of the screen, at the bottom (so technically above the standard blizz ui action bars). Even though I don't have an action bar or anything else in that part of my screen I don't see the steering bar at all.

I was wondering whether anyone else had this problem and, if so, how they solved it. If I could only find the bar I could probably use the "MoveAnything" AddOn to move it but the main issue is...I don't see it. Slight problem is that in order to be able to test where it is, I'd need to be fighting Ryolith...which is not very handy hahaha.

Any info and advice is welcome.

Bel*.

I've had issues with the addon Sexy Map interferring with default UI and other addon UI. If you're using it, could be the culprit Bel*.

I know this post is a little out of place, however I was wondering if someone could help me with the addons used in this video since the UI seems clean and functional, and I wanted to improve my performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriond View Post
    People,

I have a question regarding Ryolith's steering. Last night I was on add duty (prot war), mostly due to the lack of being able to see Ryolith's "steering bar".

I use Bartender4 for my action bars and pitbull for my unit frames (using a customized version of Caulle's UI). According to guildies the steering bar should be approximately in the middle of the screen, at the bottom (so technically above the standard blizz ui action bars). Even though I don't have an action bar or anything else in that part of my screen I don't see the steering bar at all.

I was wondering whether anyone else had this problem and, if so, how they solved it. If I could only find the bar I could probably use the "MoveAnything" AddOn to move it but the main issue is...I don't see it. Slight problem is that in order to be able to test where it is, I'd need to be fighting Ryolith...which is not very handy hahaha.

Bel*.
    I was able to solve the exact same problem with the exact same addon combo last night. In my case it was in the options for Pitbull, in the "modules" (I think) subsection, under "Hide Blizzard Frames". When I disabled the hiding of the "Alternate Power Bar" it appeared the very next pull. Hope this helps!

Quote Originally Posted by DexterBelgium View Post
    I was able to solve the exact same problem with the exact same addon combo last night. In my case it was in the options for Pitbull, in the "modules" (I think) subsection, under "Hide Blizzard Frames". When I disabled the hiding of the "Alternate Power Bar" it appeared the very next pull. Hope this helps!
    Thanks for the info, I'll look into it later today when I get back home

Bel*.

Looks pretty easy yeah? We have been trying Beth all week and now I think we picked the wrong one to shoot for first!

P.S. What's up with the mack-daddy music in this video? The ladies already love your luxurious hair Lore, they don't need bedroom music to boot!, though I suppose it don't hurt...

Does anyone know if the 'activate volcano' beam has a range? In the video above it seems like one of the far out volcanoes stays dormant for a decent chunk of time (until the boss is brought near it).

If this is the case, it would explain the behavior we saw the other night. Our melee were a little "too" good at steering the boss, keeping almost all of the volcanoes down quickly but also having him within range of one almost all the time. We noticed our stacks were always higher and not resetting in this case, and I'm wondering if his positioning had anything to do with the activating of volcanoes.

I'm wondering how many dps do you usually assign to sparks and fragment respectively?
    We tried him for a little bit but didn't got him down, due to stacking volcano's debuff. We were stepping on them quite quickly, is there a need to avoid stepping on dormants ones?

Quote Originally Posted by pyxio View Post
    I'm wondering how many dps do you usually assign to sparks and fragment respectively?
    We tried him for a little bit but didn't got him down, due to stacking volcano's debuff. We were stepping on them quite quickly, is there a need to avoid stepping on dormants ones?
    We had three assigned ranged dps for adds and three melee for his feet and with the redesigned movement control mechanic it's rather simple to direct him towards the active volancos. The stack shouldn't get too high, 10 at maximum before fading and you should pop a raidcooldown for a stomp + high stacks. If not you'll have to work with your kiters in the first place. On normal mode Sparks and Fragments should die in time to any three ranged dps + your tank, doesn't matter what classes you bring.

In 25 man we were running 9 dps on legs and 7 dps on adds. The fragments really aren't hard to kill in time and I don't think I've ever actually seen one blow someone up. The sparks probably could have used a 1-2 more dps but fragments die so fast that it didn't really matter when the sparks took longer to kill.

The main thing is to always be heading towards the active volcano. If you miss one or diverge from the path to get inactive ones, healing will get extremely heavy really fast.

Will have to see next week how the nerfs yesterday change this fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Takethecake View Post
    In 25 man we were running 9 dps on legs and 7 dps on adds. The fragments really aren't hard to kill in time and I don't think I've ever actually seen one blow someone up.

THIS. It worked fine for us.

Our main mistake was to aim for any volcano so... I'd advice not to. Aim for active volcanos only.

Quote Originally Posted by Takethecake View Post
    In 25 man we were running 9 dps on legs and 7 dps on adds. The fragments really aren't hard to kill in time and I don't think I've ever actually seen one blow someone up.
    THIS. It worked fine for us, thanks.

Our main mistake was to aim for any volcano so... I'd advice not to. Aim for active volcanos only.

Is this fight bugged? We were attempting him last night, and sometimes, especially near the platforms, he would do a sharp turn to the opposite side (ie. hitting right leg, bar at max, he would suddenly turn left, possibly after stomping), and we would not have enough time to turn him back.

If we have to expect this behavior normally, I'd ask my raid to look out and switch immediately, but we decided to try another boss thinking (and reading reports) that this is a bug.

Quote Originally Posted by Beleriond View Post
    People,

Bel*.
    I (as Fury) had the same issue, and talking to Feral Druid mate of mine, He set the transparency of his top 2 bars (bartender bars of his 4) down a touch and I found that to work for me as well.

+ Reply to Thread