+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord Rhyolith

Lord Rhyolith

Quote Originally Posted by Lore
    What's up everyone, and welcome to the Firelands raid guide. My name is Lore, and I'll be guiding you through the 25-man Normal version of the Lord Rhyolith encounter. You'll want two tanks and 6 or 7 healers. DPS-wise, you want at least a few solid ranged DPS, but otherwise any mix of melee or ranged should suffice.

The fight is separated into two phases, although the real bulk of the encounter is in phase one. You've got two main goals in this phase -- controlling Rhyolith's movements around the room, and killing the adds he spawns from time to time. Rhyolith himself is not tanked in this phase - he simply walks forward at a fairly steady pace. However, if he should reach the lava at the edge of his platform, he'll actually drink the lava and then spit it all over the raid, causing an intense amount of damage that almost guarantees a raid wipe.

To keep this from happening, you'll need to attack his feet to steer him around the room. Dealing damage to the left foot causes him to turn left, and dealing damage to the right foot causes him to turn right. His feet are also the only way to actually deal damage to him during this phase, so even when you have him pointed in the right direction, you'll still want to be attacking his feet. We found it easiest to assign each of our DPS to one of the two feet. When he's heading in the direction we want him to, everyone just attacks the foot they've been assigned to, but when we want him to turn, the people assigned to the other foot simply switch over temporarily.

Periodically, Lord Rhyolith will use an ability called Concussive Stomp that deals a moderate amount of fire damage to everyone in the raid and also knocks anyone back who was standing nearby. When he does this, he'll also spawn a couple dormant volcanos randomly around the room, and every once in a while he will ignite one of those, causing it to become active. Active volcanos will hit up to 6 raid members every couple seconds for a small amount of fire damage, and also stack up a debuff that causes them to take additional fire damage. In order to stop them, you need to steer Rhyolith around and get him to actually step on top of them.

That not only puts the volcano out of commission, but also causes a couple other things to happen. The good news is, it'll break off a piece of his Obsidian Armor, which means he'll start taking a little bit more damage. The bad news is that it leaves behind a crater, which will occasionally send out streams of lava that cause a very large amount of damage. Fortunately, the streams move relatively slowly and are pretty easy to get away from as long as you're paying attention.

While you're steering him around the room, he'll also occasionally be spawning two types of adds. He alternates between spawning 5 Fragments of Rhyolith and 1 Spark of Rhyolith. These are what'll be keeping your tanks busy in phase 1. One tank should be assigned to quickly rounding up the Fragments of Rhyolith so that they can be AOE'd down. They don't have too much health -- only about 400k --, but if they're still alive after 30 seconds they'll deal half of whatever they have left as damage to a random raid member. Since there's already a fairly substantial amount of raid damage going out, that can easily finish someone off even if they're low, so it's best to just kill them off completely. In most cases your ranged DPS should be able to handle this themselves.

The Sparks of Rhyolith should be picked up by the other tank and pulled away from the group, as they deal constant AOE damage to anything within 12 yards. They'll also gain a stacking buff the longer they're alive that increases their damage, so these need to be burned down relatively quickly as well, although any Fragments that are alive should be a higher priority. Again, this is mostly the job of the ranged - melee DPS should stay on Rhyolith as much as possible.

So, to recap phase 1:
    - Steer him away from the edges of the room and towards active volcanos by attacking his feet.
    - When you don't need him to turn, split DPS evenly between the two feet. DON'T STOP DPS
    - Ranged DPS: AOE Fragments of Rhyolith and kill Sparks of Rhyolith
    - Don't stand in the fire!

Once Rhyolith, or I should say Rhyolith's feet, are at 25% health, phase 2 will begin. After a short animation, he'll do a fairly large raid-wide AOE, and one of your tanks should pick him up immediately. At this point the fight is basically just a DPS burn; he has a constant fire damage aura, and hits the tank relatively hard, but otherwise it's just a straight tank and spank. Adds will stop spawning, as well as volcanos, although any craters left over from Phase 1 can still spawn lava streams, so watch out for those. Just keep everyone alive, and hit him until he stops moving.

Nice work - thanks for the prompt upload!
    "Stop trying to hit me and hit me!"

~ Morpheus

He was a fun fight. we got him 1 shot. the journal actually gives a pretty good idea of how to do these bosses, but it doesn't hold your hand 100% of the way. Prompt video Lore!

Also are we sure the sparks and fragments necessarily alternate? I think i got 3 groups of fragments in a row during our first pull.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

We used one tank on 10man he just tanked them all and pulled the aoeing one away

Quote Originally Posted by Kazeyonoma View Post
    He was a fun fight. we got him 1 shot... during our first pull.
    hrm I see what you did thar.
    "Stop trying to hit me and hit me!"

~ Morpheus

well, during our "kill" which was a 1 shot, which was our first pull, I noticed 3 of them in a row at least =P

He was a fun fight. we got him 1 shot. the journal actually gives a pretty good idea of how to do these bosses, but it doesn't hold your hand 100% of the way. Prompt video Lore!

Also are we sure the sparks and fragments necessarily alternate? I think i got 3 groups of fragments in a row during our first pull.
    they do not, but for us it was pretty consistently 1-1-2-1-1-1-2-1 don't think we ever saw 2 sparks in a row or 3 fragments in a row.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    How did you guys handle the gauntlet trash?
    Charged up the hill and aoe'd...only 3 or 4 people died...

Is there any need to stop dps on the "non turning leg"? Like if you want him to turn right, do you say no cleaves or dots on the left leg? Or doesn't that matter?

well, seeing as how damage dealt is how he gets turned, cleaving the other leg will just make him straighten out more instead of turning as sharply as you like. sure you can sneak in a bit more damage that way, but if you ever miss a turn because your dps'ers were cleaving instead of focusing the correct leg, well...

Dark, yeah it just seems random (in the examply you posted you said 1-1-1 (3 fragments in a row!) but yeah we never got 2 sparks in a row. that'd be too rough to heal i imagine.

well, seeing as how damage dealt is how he gets turned, cleaving the other leg will just make him straighten out more instead of turning as sharply as you like. sure you can sneak in a bit more damage that way, but if you ever miss a turn because your dps'ers were cleaving instead of focusing the correct leg, well...

Dark, yeah it just seems random (in the examply you posted you said 1-1-1 (3 fragments in a row!) but yeah we never got 2 sparks in a row. that'd be too rough to heal i imagine.
    huh what no

frag-spark-frag frag-spark

we never got 3 fragments in a row.

am i misunderstanding your meaning here?
    1-1-2-1-1-1-2-1
    sounds like frag frag spark frag frag frag spark frag.....

1 means something spawned once 2 means something spawned twice in a row, numbers do not denote a specific mob type

WELL BE MORE SPECIFIC MASCONE DAMN.

k that makes sense =P

For anyone confused, looks to be Aliena's footage and Lore is narration... unless Lore rerolled to Holy priest.

Quote Originally Posted by Kemanorel View Post
    For anyone confused, looks to be Aliena's footage and Lore is narration... unless Lore rerolled to Holy priest.
    Rerolled to a holy priest named "Aliena" too ;P

Anyway, was having some trouble with getting this boss to turn. Has anyone else noticed difficulties with just dpsing one leg as opposed to both? As in, just trying to turn right the entire time he is very hard to turn. Is there some mechanic where you have to dps both legs at some point to get him to turn faster?

My guild too had difficulty turning him properly. We eventually dropped down to 1 tank, 3 melee DPS steering, 3 ranged on the adds, and 3 healers. Even then, earlier on we had to have ranged switch to go help him turn.

Has anyone noticed if when his armor stacks drop and he takes more damage, does that make turning him much easier? As in, is the amount he turns directly relative to the DPS taken? I imagine if that's the case then later on in the fight we can have 1 or 2 DPS pull off of the leg and help with the adds?
    Worse than you.

Quote Originally Posted by smep View Post
    My guild too had difficulty turning him properly. We eventually dropped down to 1 tank, 3 melee DPS steering, 3 ranged on the adds, and 3 healers. Even then, earlier on we had to have ranged switch to go help him turn.

Has anyone noticed if when his armor stacks drop and he takes more damage, does that make turning him much easier? As in, is the amount he turns directly relative to the DPS taken? I imagine if that's the case then later on in the fight we can have 1 or 2 DPS pull off of the leg and help with the adds?
    Downed him tonight and I did not notice that his steering became any easier as his armor fell off. In fact there were several wipes around 30-40% when he had NO armor stacks that were due to inability to correct his path quickly enough after an awkward volcano eruption.

Our successful 10man strat:
    Raid comp: Tanks: Paladin/DK
    Heals: Druid/Disc/Paladin
    DPS: War/DK, Mage/Lock/Hunter

The reason we used two tanks was because we only had one full-time dps on adds (with one of these on adds most of the time but occasionally helping to steer Rhyolith). With low add dps, some groups of adds will overlap.

Our range dps and heals stayed grouped up near the center of the platform. One tank would pick up the spark, the other would manage the small add groups with misdirects where necessary.

The two melee and one range dps stayed on the feet and steered the boss. Whoever is calling directions on steering should try to plan at least two volcanoes ahead of time. After the first couple stomps we were unable to smash every volcano that was up, but you only need to focus on the ones that are active.

3 dps on feet is enough to keep him in control MOST of the time, with a little forward planning. With a fourth dps ready to switch to feet, it is possible to make him do a complete 180 with almost no forward progress on the foot being damaged -- this was the key to managing the randomness of the volcano spawns, and preventing them from getting stacks too high for our healers to manage. The swing dps should only need to switch to feet once or twice unless you just have terrible, terrible luck.

Even with one dps swinging from adds to feet occasionally and leaving only one dps full time on adds, it still felt like a MUCH more controlled and healer-friendly fight when we were able to steer Rhyolith quickly.

With two tanks managing adds, the major priority in the fight becomes stomping the erupting volcanoes before they stack up debuffs too high to become unmanageable. With good add control and nobody standing where they shouldn't be, there is really not very much damage that goes out in the first phase of this fight unless you let a volcano stay active.

Phase 2, as per the video, is just a quick burn. If everyone is still alive when the phase starts it should be no problem.

My guild and I seem to be having a massive problem on getting too many debuffs. We are stomping over every Volcano that comes our way possible yet still dying from too many debuffs. I don't really see what we are doing wrong?

+ Reply to Thread