+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can someone help me figure out what we're doing wrong in this log...

Can someone help me figure out what we're doing wrong in this log...

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/upktfseit08whj9w/

We've been at Nefarian for almost a month and a half now and still haven't downed him. I've raided with other guilds and we've almost downed him the first night, what the hell are we doing wrong? Is it tanking, is it healing, is it damage, is it everything?

Help me figure out this as it's just tearing the guild apart because of it.

Looking over the Deaths over view for he first couple of tries, Galook seems to be being munched by both bone warriors as Onyxia. Firstly thats a crap ton of damage, Onyxia hits hard enough as is, and Shadow Flame Breaths just gonna keep the adds up indefinetly, making them hit for a crap ton. Your onyxia tank shouldn't really be tanking adds.

I'll keep posting/editing as i peruse later attempts

Edit: try 4 Galook got one 3.2k heal over 11 seconds

Try 5 somone failed at interupts

Try 6 Ony tank didn't pop a CD for Electrocute, but also isn't getting much healing apart from his own

Try 7 your DPS add tanking got caught in ony lighting discharge, either his, or ony positioning was at fault, the adds munched a healer P2 making phse 2 impossible, I assume the priest realised this and didn't jump up a platform.

Try 8 DPS shaman fails at getting to a pillar everyone else seemed to die through insufficient healing assumed a wipe was called

Try 9 looks like the rogue wasn't fast enough getting on to a pillar and then someone missed an interupt (the rogue coz he was late getting to a pillar?) DPS shammie is also in the lava for some reason

Try 10, Rogue seems to be really badly positioned, and someone(s) failed at interupts

Try 11 people are standing in the pink fire

Try 12, rogue fails at getting onto a pillar, the addtank gets bugger all heals

try 13 Nef tank only get heals via Beacon.

try 14 someone(s) fails at interupts

try 15 Adds on healers in p3, people standing infront of the dragon,

try 16 Priest fails at getting on a pillar, Interupts failed again

try 17 Priest is hit by onyxia's discharge, not topped off before an electrocute

try 18 someone fails at interupts.

Edit 2: Rogue's not using Feint anywhere near enough, it's works against electrocute, so he should be having it up for each one, in phase 2 he should be aiming for maximum uptime. Looking at the longer fights there's not alot of defensive CDs being used for them, The warrior never used Rallying Cry, No shaman bothered with Glyph of Stone Claw, the locks not making the most of Nether Ward, only 6 people are using their healthstones. I would assume (and this is tenuous) but becuase your raid are not making the most of their defensive abilties, the healers are struggling and that wahy tanks are falling over. or it could jsut be that the healers are struggling any how. The interupts seem to be not managed well in phase 2. A few mistakes are creeping in.
    Last edited by Tengenstein; 06-16-2011 at 09:50 PM.

We figured that out after like 2 tries. I was under the impression I could tank the adds with Ony since they were only up for 50 seconds thinking Ony's breath wouldn't refresh them.

If only....

Tanking both the adds and Onyxia is actually a pretty good idea, we first did this on heroic mode due to the abscence of a possible kiter and nowadays on all twinkruns as well. Use a tank with an aoe stun (pally/warrior) and with decent dps the adds shouldn't have above 18ish stacks until you pushed Onyxia. This way you get more often into phase 2 (to get some routine on beating the pillar boss!), more often into phase 3 -> your offtank has more time to actually learn the kiting stuff and all adds are perfectly clustered up to pick them up later on. So some roamers won't kill your poor resto shaman like in try #15.

You real problem, only looking at your longest parses (#11 & #12), you just didn't reset the adds. That's going to kill you every time. Doesn't matter what causes this (wrong positioning of Nef -> taillash or breath) or poorly kiting, talk to your tanks and fix this first before thinking about anything else.

In general: Looking at all those death to stupid things (standing in the shadow blaze fire, magmaw) they seem to lack some situational awareness and movement (Pillarboss is hard?!).

You know that casting Hand of Reckoning almost on cooldown isn't really gaining you any threat, right?

Yea I know, idk why I got into the habit of doing that really -_-.

And I know I'm the one whos going to end up holding em back on the kiting adds in phase 3, but the other tank doesn't even want to attempt kiting so I'm all they got. I'll have them almost reset and then boom somehow Nef breaths on them and keeps em up again. And idk how because I've never gotten in front of him, only reason I can think is the nef tank turning him right at that time.

You need to communicate with the nef tank and the healers as to when you need nef turning, and how far he needs to be turned. So I might see our warrior making his way around the room, I announce I am turning the boss by 90 and then do so. I never turn nef without talking to my co-tank and he warns me if he needs nef turned.

Our Nef tank just turns it, I'm usually the only one talking if I don't forget to mention it =/.

only reason I can think is the nef tank turning him right at that time.
    He need to tell you he is turning the boss, and how far he is turning it if the adds are being reset by the dragon breath and not the shadowblaze. If the adds are being reset by shadowblaze before they have died you need to move sooner, it takes up to 2 seconds for those skeletons to start moving.

I just reset em this attempt we did just now and they were all stacked. Why didn't they all come back up when the next shadowblaze came to bring em up after they were down?

We keep having problems with 2 dps getting onto the platforms and missing their interrupts. A healer should not have to interrupt there -_-.

EDIT: Got the adds down twice and the shadowblaze started coming way to fast for me to avoid em, had 2 dps dead . 30%
    Last edited by BryceE; 06-17-2011 at 06:21 PM.

FINALLY. He's dead. Reset the adds perfectly 3 times.

Congratulations.

I've noticed that fight is all about add control in phase 3 we could of not pushed any crackles with how perfectly that kiting went for me lol.

+ Reply to Thread