+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Legendary: Episode 32 - 4.2 WTF?

Legendary: Episode 32 - 4.2 WTF?

This week on LEGENDARY:
    • 4.2 patch notes
    • Rly Blizz WTF?

Legendary on Gamebreaker.tv | Follow Gamebreaker on Twitter

Tankspot Moderator
    Twitter: Follow me on Twitter! @Krenian

"Damnit!" - Jack Bauer, 24

Easily the greatest show on erf

Concussion Blow doesn't say nothing but Threat. Highest threat per damage ability in a prot warriors arsenal.

I LOVE BLIZZ SCREWING THING UP!!! Otherwise u guys wouldn't be able to make this great great show blaming blizz great show guys, i've been watching it from ep1 and enjoy it as much as back then!!! KEEP UP THE WORK!!!

The more time you spend just ripping on every new change the more I feel I could get the same experience by reading the public forums. I felt in the past, that you found the right balance between mocking the apparently strange changes but then (in many cases) pointing out why some of those things were actually good ideas. Most of the things Blizzard change they do with good reason but very often those reasons are not straightforward. Take the rated battlegrounds mounts. Fony actually pointed out the probable cause for this change: that the rating system in season 1 was somewhat compromised, so doing it based on rating alone was in itself unfair. But this was barely mentioned and instead you spent ages ranting on about how anyone could get a mount.

One of the things that Lore manages to do very well in the Marmot vids is take an objective view. When Gary talks about 'Blizzard jumping the shark', I wonder whether that's exactly what Legendary has done.

Lore's warrior will NOT get 4-piece T12 in the same week as his paladin unless he kills Majordomo and/or Ragnaros on the warrior in the same ID as the paladin, the protectors token drops and he wins it. You can only get 3 pieces of Tier gear from valor points (two of which drop in baradin hold).

It is also debatable on whether it is a bad thing that Blizzard teaches people how to play their class. Having a bad tank or healer will kill your Heroic group in the beginning of Cata which is probably the main reason why they unfortunately had to nerf them.

Back in Vanilla in my personal opinion your rotation was fairly obvious by the time you got to level 60, and if u didn't know you should pick up on it eventually. That was all the casual player really had to know.

Burning Crusade introduced new abilities and rotations weren't quite as obvious but most of them (cept Arms Warrior/ Ret Paladin lol) were simple to pull off.
    However a problem that arose was the introduction of gemming, here people needed to know what stat was best to gem and people that didn't ask or do proper research would be doing ridiculous things. I can't tell you how many rogues didn't know to gem full hit back then. When I posted my WoW Webstats on the raid forums for feed back we were assaulted relentlessly for how many people weren't doing the right stuff (warlocks in Tier 4 lol) and how big of a difference it made when they started doing it right.

Even at this point though, when I was leveling a different class and wasn't sure what to do I would randomly whisper a person of that class from a competitive guild and he'd break it down for me, it wasn't too hard to explain after all.

WoTLK on the other hand not only introduced new abilities but a buttload of proccing type of mechanics that require some people to use modes to use them effectively. When previously all you had to do was (1, 1, 2, 4, 3 repeat) without looking at your abilities giving your full attention to the boss encounter you know had a bunch of things to pay attention to. Keep in mind many proc abilities would have to be timed a certain way to make the best out of them and not just spam them as they come up. Can a dedicated raider deal with this sure? Many casuals may not.

I completely agree that it is the individuals job to learn how to play their class, but Blizzard might have to accept that classes just aren't as easy to get down as they were in Vanilla.

A simple guide containing the rotation and hierarchy of needed stats should be enough.

Is it just me or did they not actually discuss any of the tanking elements of the tanking Q&A? They took two questions and spun them off into general WoW questions without any focus on tanking...
    Addon Author: What's Next? - AllPlates - Sudoku - Death Clock - Super Loot

Quote Originally Posted by Kahmal View Post
    It is also debatable on whether it is a bad thing that Blizzard teaches people how to play their class. Having a bad tank or healer will kill your Heroic group in the beginning of Cata which is probably the main reason why they unfortunately had to nerf them.
    The problem with Blizzard telling a tank how to do their job (more than just these abilities cause large amounts of threat, these medium, etc) is that then they lock themselves into only 1 way of doing things. They can't deviate and change and let the community figure it out.

And what if they're wrong? Heck, they could say something like Concussion Blow is your highest threat ability as a warrior tank, use it as much as possible. Which is not optimal.

When Blizzard designs the game and tells you how to play the game, why do you end up playing the game? If Blizzard does step into the realm of talking about how to tank, it needs to be at a very high level - 'Melee DPS needs to be behind the boss to do their best damage, keep this in mind when you choose where to tank a boss" - things like that may not be too bad - they're fairly broad and open ended, and they have wiggle room. Sometimes, like BH, you just can't do that.

If Blizzard ever makes a specific guide to how to play the game, then they're tying their hands in how they can design the game. It might be a good thing if done with extreme moderation, but it will be worse than the dungeon journal telling you 'tank the mobs away from the group' like they did on the one fight from Legendary a while ago.

The game designer telling people exactly how to play their class is always a bad thing.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Strucker View Post
    Is it just me or did they not actually discuss any of the tanking elements of the tanking Q&A? They took two questions and spun them off into general WoW questions without any focus on tanking...
    There really wasn't much to discuss... The tanking Q&As really didn't have much meat at all.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrea View Post
    Lore's warrior will NOT get 4-piece T12 in the same week as his paladin unless he kills Majordomo and/or Ragnaros on the warrior in the same ID as the paladin, the protectors token drops and he wins it. You can only get 3 pieces of Tier gear from valor points (two of which drop in baradin hold).
    Still, he'll be able to get the 2-piece bonus just as fast on both of them. Point still valid.

gtfo lore ...

AGILITY TWO-HANDER!

I thought the exact same thing when I read the taunt question in the tanking Q & A.

"Who were the morons that upvoted this question, and who was the extremely lazy developer that actually picked this question instead of one that might have been useful?"

I can't watch this episode, other episodes work fine ... problems with tubemogul.com or with the transition from the 20 secs spot.
    I had to go directly to blip.tv.

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    The problem with Blizzard telling a tank how to do their job (more than just these abilities cause large amounts of threat, these medium, etc) is that then they lock themselves into only 1 way of doing things. They can't deviate and change and let the community figure it out.

And what if they're wrong? Heck, they could say something like Concussion Blow is your highest threat ability as a warrior tank, use it as much as possible. Which is not optimal.

When Blizzard designs the game and tells you how to play the game, why do you end up playing the game? If Blizzard does step into the realm of talking about how to tank, it needs to be at a very high level - 'Melee DPS needs to be behind the boss to do their best damage, keep this in mind when you choose where to tank a boss" - things like that may not be too bad - they're fairly broad and open ended, and they have wiggle room. Sometimes, like BH, you just can't do that.

If Blizzard ever makes a specific guide to how to play the game, then they're tying their hands in how they can design the game. It might be a good thing if done with extreme moderation, but it will be worse than the dungeon journal telling you 'tank the mobs away from the group' like they did on the one fight from Legendary a while ago.

The game designer telling people exactly how to play their class is always a bad thing.
    Um. They already have done this. Remember? They've forced you to take 31 points of talents in a particular talent tree before they allow you to take talents in any others. In addition, by reducing the number of talents and limiting what you can choose from other trees has further 'boxed-in" the various classes, especially with the healing and tank specs. Before, if I decided that, reaching for a few useful talents in a secondary tree might be useful, I could go for it. Now, you're pretty much locked into building a near "standardized" spec, with very little variation as opposed to the wide range of variation allowed before.

I do agree with you on the part that, Blizz shouldn't be "telling people exactly how to play their class." Part of the challenge is supposed to be figuring out HOW to tackle challenges, how to tank certain bosses, and what things can be done differently that might improve performance for any particular player.

If we get into the thing of "you must do it this way," then you're going the route of first person shooters..........

..... and frankly, that sucks. That WILL be the death of WoW.
    No one tanks in a void.........

+ Reply to Thread