+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Balancing parry and dodge for my DK tank

Quote Originally Posted by leethaxor View Post
    I do agree DR's should be visible on the character sheet, its just stupid not putting them there. I guess I kinda misunderstood your post.

Your right about haste, DR's are as simple as (The formula posted on EJ is confusing it simplifies to):
    real amount = constant * character sheet / different constant
    The amount shown on the character sheet takes DR into consideration already. And your simplification seems a bit off.

Deminishing Returns...
    1/x' = 1/c + k/x
    x' = deminished value
    c = class cap for that avoidance
    k = class constant
    x = undeminished value
    Solve for x' (the portion of avoidance subject to deminishing returns).
    x' = cx / (x + ck)

Real Amount = Base Amount + x' = What your character sheet displays
    or
    Real Amount = Base Amount + ( cx / (x + ck) )

Base Amount = Naked unbuffed avoidance + Avoidance from talents or enchants that are percentage based.

Look more closely at your equation. If the only variable in it is in the numerator, that is linear growth. That means there isn't any actual reduction in the value as it gets higher.

Const1 * Variable / Const2
    Has linear growth based on Variable, it doens't decrease in value ever (its a line, not a curve).

Plug the numbers into the correct form however, ( cx / (x + ck) ) and you will notice that it actually trends towards the constant c which is the "avoidance cap for your class". That's exactly what it should do, as your undeminished value increases towards infinity the actual result should approach the cap.
    Last edited by Quinafoi; 06-20-2011 at 09:04 AM.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Yep, the character sheet values show avoidance with DR taken into account. If you want avoidance without DR, check the tooltips, but the avoidance shown on the char sheet takes DR into account already.

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    If there was an enchant that provided 1% dodge directly, similar to how sword shattering provides 4% parry, then it would not be affected by DR. However, an enchant that provides rating or agility, which must be converted to % dodge (or parry) is affected by DR.

The DR formula is applied to percentages rather than ratings directly, however, ONLY those percentages that are the result of any rating or agility past base. Base avoidance and directly applied avoidance are not subject to DR. It gets confusing sometimes to filter out.
    Isn't there a glove enchant that I used in very early Wrath with extra threat and 2% parry? or has that changed to parry rating now? That could be an enchant that a non-dk tank can use to check.

Wasn't that +2% threat and some parry rating?

I don't remember.

threat and parry rating:
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=44625

Quote Originally Posted by jere View Post
    threat and parry rating:
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=44625
    Well that screws up my idea. Carry on.

+ Reply to Thread