+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scrolling Battle Text - for what do you use it.

Scrolling Battle Text - for what do you use it.

Hello everyone, I would like to ask every one for what do you use your scrolling battle text. In most UI posted here there is miks or parrot scrolling battle text and in most cases it shows everything. The only changes I see are fonts, size and place where it shows. And that bugs me cuz I don't understand why. Why players needs so much data that is not related to the role they are playing. I as a Tank don't need to know for how much I get healed, or rogue ability just missed. Am I wrong in thinking that too much data is bad cuz it makes you lose focus ??

This is how I use my scrolling battle text (Mik):

Holly Power Gain/Full - Big font, plus sound effect (from Power Auras) make me use holly power as often as I can, without looking for at unit frame.

Debuffs/Debuffs Stacks - Big font, It is a good reminder to know that you are getting Stacks of debuff and you should pay it close attention.

Buffs/Buffs Stacks/Buffs Fades/Weapon buffs/Weapon Fades - Small font just as a reminder.

Enter/Leave Combat - Big font sometimes you enter combat without knowing.

Monster Emotes - Big fonts, so adds don't run away.

So how you all set it up.

PS. Sorry for my poor English.

i use mine to notify me of certain procs (plays a noise), but i also watch it a lot because as a tank, i like to see incoming heals, and incoming damage spikes. as dps, i like to pay attention to my larger damage dealing attacks because i can notice trends.

READ THIS: Posting & Chat Rules
    Quote Originally Posted by Turelliax View Post
    I will never be a kaz.. no one can reach the utter awesomeness of you.
    http://i.imgur.com/3vbQi.gif

Mine is set up so outgoing shows my misses/dodged + parried attacks.
    Incoming shows enter/leaving combat, damage, environment damage, my resists/absorbs/dodges/parries/blocks.

On my prot pally i configured my scroll text (parrot) to show incoming heals on the left scroll bar, incoming damage on the right, and my atacks on the middle. I consider my own atacks kind-of irrelivant knowladge, so i filtered to just show crit hits and damage above 30K (Basicly the only information im looking for is if my Shield or Righteous hit my target- relevant for aggro on pull- tohugh i can check that by seeing if i spent holy powers i just like to feel awesome when i get 80+ K hits at full vengeance stacks i guess).
    The damage taken side shows, of course, misses, dodges, parries and blocks.

i personally don't see a need. and pretty as a waterfall of block dodge and parry's are just so many greater priorities in a fight to be watching that. as for inc heals i find just grid with the shadowed inc heals that are being cast 100 percent more useful then heals already received. imo its a distraction, just leave the space open to see more fire on ground : )

It is very easy to have such addons create too much spam. The off cooldown reminder is allways a few seconds slow, so I play with out that part. Just remember to put the font size down and move the text away from the center. If I want to know something from my battle-text, which is rarely never, then I look away from the center of the screen.
    I don't need to see incoming heals along the center, for example.
    I could turn it completely off, but it doesn't distract me at all.

I use an add on called 'Eavesdrop'. I made it a small box that goes in the corner, only shows a few things, and I glance at it as needed. I feel like anything more than that takes my attention away from combat.

Make sure you use a less intrusive/annoying font than the standard comic sans/msbt porky. That can go a long way to making the combat text easier to "look through".

Personally, I asked myself one day, "when was the last time you noticed a dodge on MSBT? When was the last time you noticed a crit or crit heal?"

When my answer was "I don't remember one, I'm too busy to watch that" I decided to uninstall MSBT. Haven't missed it. Although, the buffs / debuffs comment earlier has me considering it. If that was all that was enabled, it would no longer be ignored as irrelavent lights on the screen.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

I watch my MSBT all the time. I can't always hear combat that well through all the other game noises, so looking at MSBT let's me know whether or not my envenom landed, or if I was actually hit by some damaging ability or whatever. I could probably filter out the white and poison damage, but I kind of like seeing it go by, and MSBT does a good job of reducing overload on that data. So yeah, I look at it constantly.
    Kathy, I said, "I'm lost" though I knew she was sleeping
    I'm empty and aching and I don't know why
    Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike
    They've all gone to look for America

Kazeyonoma mind telling me how seeing incoming Heals helps you tank ?? I mean I can understand dps part but Healing ?? We (as Tanks) can not do much with that info. It can tell us if a heal has a problem/died/is slacking but what more ?? I am missing something ?? Mind sheering your reasons.

PS. Sorry for my poor English.

Valiar, if you're having trouble seeing your incoming heals, the addon "VisualHeal" shows it in your raid frame's life bar, with no configuration needed. I use MSBT myself, but only because I like watching big numbers float around on my screen in pretty fonts. Everything else I use IceHUD for. Suppose it's time to clean out my addons. lol
    I'm way better at holding my liquor than a panda.

The point I think Valiar is making is the the green number can be 20k, 2k, or 2 and there is nothing you can do about it. Why have it clutter the screen then?
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

@Valier, I, like Kaze, like to see incoming heals as a tank. You're right, I can't do anything about it, but I can see how my healer is doing, notice trends (such as frequency of heals coming in) and be able to plan my CD's maybe a little faster than he can shout out in Vent that he's stunned/fallen/outof range/etc.

Or if someone new is healing me I can see how they compare to who ever regularly heals me, etc.

That's how I use the info anyhow.
    -------------------------------------
    killing faster means sleeping more - Thedom

Hm, so it is more about Raid Leading ok Good to know I didn't miss anything. Thx for answering.

PS. Sorry for my Bad English
    PS2. I need to make a signature with the first PS, cuz it is getting stupid typing it every time.

As a tank, I don't care about the healing, so I just disabled it. I also, as said earlier, made the font smaller and less comic-esque (I use Arial Narrow for everything), and also lowered the alpha so it's there even less. I love to see how my avoidance is, though, so I keep my dodges/parries/blocks up, as well as my damage on the other side. I also have it for proc reminders, even though I have power auras set up for that, so it might be something to remove.

In any case, it seems like because there's so much variance in people's opinion, that you should really go with what you're comfortable with.

PS. Your English is fine!

I'd forgotten that it works for avoidance, and didn't realize that was announcing my procs and cds. I just saw a shiny addon pack for enhancers that looks sick and had Shock and Awe (Which I honestly can scrap now). I think I need to play around with the configuration a bit.

Seeing incoming heals can tell us what we've received, which we can then use to trend our incoming heals and plan our cds accordingly. Also, the Visual Heal addon I mentioned earlier shows your INCOMING healing as well. So if Billy Healerguy is casting Greater Heal while riptide's rolling on you and Bobby Healerguy's throwing a Holy Light, your health bar has a current line (67k/100k as an example) but will also show a different colored section (Incoming, including Riptide Duration) and depending on your setup, a red bar past your max HP for overhealing incoming which even further helps you predict how much you'll need to use your cooldowns. In Wrath, there were times I had so much incoming healing that I wouldn't bother with cooldowns other than death strike because when it was all said and done, I was still topped off.
    Last edited by Charon; 10-23-2011 at 09:25 AM.
    I'm way better at holding my liquor than a panda.

+ Reply to Thread