+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Targeting?

Targeting?

hello fellow tanks,
    I was wondering what methods other higher ranked tanks are using to target mobs and what addons or macros they use to assist them?

In particular ive been nervous about certain bosses recently like alaikir and nef where when im picking up adds and they become close to the main boss where tab or even clicking with a fast taunt can be risky. The little circle around their base isn't distinct compared to the crazziness on the ground. I have gotten by using /target macros addons like threatplates and tabing while looking at names. what do u use and how do u address targeting issues? How can people get more confident about these kind of situations?

Use a nameplates addon that shows threat levels, the mob name, its HP, maybe also who it is targeting. Make them small enough to not cover everything on the screen yet big enough for you to be able to tell what the mob is at a glance. Everything else really comes down to practice, practice, practice.

I commonly use 3 techniques to help target:
    - Tidyplates + Threatplates, setup exactly as pyrea describes will help with click targeting.
    - Clean unitframes, positioned such that you can easily see yourself, your target and target-of-target (probably moved to the lower center of the screen, beneath your feet) helps with tab targeting.
    - I keep the 'key next to 1' free for a macro, which normally will just skull my target but for specific encounters I'll replace that with another macro that, for example, might "/target blazing" at magmaw, or "/target obnoxious" at Atramedes... iow, if I know the fight will require me to target a named mod in a crowded fight, I'll macro it in advance. On some add fights, you can use some clever macros to prioritise and mark a target.

for your 3rd method swelt how does the /target macro work for multiple mobs with the same name? if u press it several times does it act as tab but just for the mobs with that name? ive only used /target for h halfus or sarth 3drake style fights with single mobs with a name.

'Not very well' I'd say. It's more, as you say, for a specific individual target that you will need to pick out from a number of others.

I use TidyPlates+ThreatPlates, as well as a few macros to assist with casing at friendlies without losing targeting, such as "/cast [@party2] hand of sal" or "/cast [@party3] rigtheous def". I'm a key-clicker (don't even own a mouse), yet I'm pretty highly rated on my server as a BE prot pally.

One addon I love Healers Have to Die. Let's me both see and hear when a healer pops up that I may have missed in a pull, or that just got out of CC.

SJ

+ Reply to Thread