+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: PST - Episode 33

PST - Episode 33

This week:
    0:35 - What kind of lore might we see in future expansions?
    2:18 - Should casters be able to roll on Spirit gear?
    6:34 - Should Blizzard teach players how to spec/gear/etc?
    11:47 - What can Blizzard do to fix tanking threat on the pull?
    16:59 - How can I tell nice people that their performance isn't up to par?
    20:32 - Is starting a new guild a good idea these days?
    24:36 - Were 10 and 25 man shared lockouts a good idea?
    28:18 - What are your thoughts on Sulfuras being an epic in Firelands?
    31:46 - Who's the dog?

...first?

Mary day of birth Jack!
    Last edited by leaflesstree; 06-10-2011 at 07:54 PM.

An attack that doesnt miss... would be awesome for tanks, agreed. But, knowing how they like to play class "balance" games, I'd bet it would be pretty hard to even out yeah? They would have to make the selected attack (beit mangle, heart strike, hammer, or whatever funky junk a warrior does...) equal to every other class'. Not a big stretch from the old 'this attack cannot be blocked, dodged, or parried' though.

I play druid, pally and DK tank and find that getting 26 expertise is not a hard task. I ignore hit as I view it as useless. Both pally and druid are 9/12 and healers we take tell me I'm easy to heal. Mitigation MUST be balanced with stam and other stats. I still see tanks while on shammmy heals that stack stam in random heroics and it pisses me off to no end. Finding good guides is hard but for those future tanks out there, stick with it. Go do ur research and become better. It's quite easy.

The analagous abilities you were looking for on Druids are Mangle & Swipe.

I'm just curious how the unicorn pillow pet is going to fit into all of this.

Gotta say that is one beautiful dog, I've always wanted a Huskie but could never afford one or had the room for one.

I normally never respond to these videos on the comments, however, I think this is something I should put in on. At 20:32 regarding the "New Guild" question, There is a sort of "exploit," though not quite in the literal sense.

Now, do this for a while until your guild gets to around level 15+ or so, then you can remove many of the "Less Active" or players who don't quite fit your guild vision/goals. At that point, you've got a decently leveled guild with which you can start recruiting.

Leveling Guild. Level an alt, with it, often recruit spam unguilded players in your level bracket. For example, do a /who (Your Level Here, or a level close to it) and then simply spam invites to unguilded players. Yes, you'll get a ton of rejection. Hit them with a macro disclaiming you're a leveling guild. You'll end up getting more than enough players to hit experience caps for at least the first ten levels, most weeks, if you continually do this. Not to mention PvP Challenges, as well as Dungeon Challenges, which do not require you are at level cap to complete, will greatly boost your Guild XP.

Just to clarify with Shadow Priests rolling on spirit gear. They do get hit rating through talents unlike mages and locks. It's not just a dead stat.

Happy BD Jack....

@Kotall - that's exactly what was being talked about, a bloated guild full of a mishmash of players and desires.

And frankly - I would never want to be part of a guild willing to do anything like that. The self-serving nature of it is enough to make it clear, the leader in that type of guild is not one I'd ever want to be working with.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Along with Lore's idea, something they could do is give tank trees a cooldown, say of 5 minutes (to make it not OP in pvp), that increases hit chance to 8% and expertise by 26 for 10 seconds. Or instead of the long cooldown, have it usable only out of combat, so tanks can pop it before the pull. To implement this so it doesn't cause unbalance in pvp, by making people able to 'hybrid' into it, put it in the mastery. Like as a prot warrior, I have shield slam by picking the prot tree, the ability I am talking about can be a second ability for picking this tree.
    Arms DPS main spec // Prot warrior tank off-spec

I just had to say it... Jack is the coolest (and cutest <3) doggie ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Inashne View Post
    Just to clarify with Shadow Priests rolling on spirit gear. They do get hit rating through talents unlike mages and locks. It's not just a dead stat.
    That wasn't his point. His point was that you can get gear with regular old +hit on it, which may not be BiS but still an upgrade, and let healers get spirit gear.

Jack is big ._.

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    11:47 - What can Blizzard do to fix tanking threat on the pull?
    I think the problem isn't so much threat stats themselves, I think its how valuable they are compared to other stats.
    What I mean is when you can have either 100 hit, or 100 dodge, a tank will normally take the 100 dodge.

My idea would be to make tank gear have hit and expertise count less towards the stat budget. Meaning if a tank piece normally had 100 hit, it might now have 150 hit. This would make me want that piece more because its budget is bigger. I can get my threat stats, and reforge so I don't lose that much avoidance or mastery comparatively.

The only problem I could see with this is pieces with hit/expertise and mastery. These "tank pieces" could also be BIS for some dps specs, but to be honest, I don't see that as much of a problem and most of these threat pieces should use dodge or parry as the second stat, to avoid this problem anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Churles View Post
    I think the problem isn't so much threat stats themselves, I think its how valuable they are compared to other stats.
    What I mean is when you can have either 100 hit, or 100 dodge, a tank will normally take the 100 dodge.

My idea would be to make tank gear have hit and expertise count less towards the stat budget. Meaning if a tank piece normally had 100 hit, it might now have 150 hit. This would make me want that piece more because its budget is bigger. I can get my threat stats, and reforge so I don't lose that much avoidance or mastery comparatively.

The only problem I could see with this is pieces with hit/expertise and mastery. These "tank pieces" could also be BIS for some dps specs, but to be honest, I don't see that as much of a problem and most of these threat pieces should use dodge or parry as the second stat, to avoid this problem anyway.
    Ineffective:

A) There's already speculation Blizz will raise the amount of hit/expertise rating needed for 8% and 26 at some point this expansion, they've vaguely thrown it out several times. Making it 'cheaper' would be 180 degrees.

B) Mastery is the best tank stat, even with a +stam/dodge/parry socket bonus, gear with (hit/exp)/mastery would be instant BiS for DPS classes since it would give them the ability to reforge elsewhere.

C) All this would do is compound the problem - sure tanks wouldn't miss/be dodge/be parried much, but now DPS has more crit/haste/mastery since they don't need as many pieces of gear to get hit/exp capped, leading to more DPS burst on the pull.

Out of all the ideas proposed, the one I think I like the most is none of them :-/ It's just a clunky system. Abilities that can't be dodged/parried/blocked isn't a great solution. Yet another CD (okay, from a WarTank's perspective)... trying to find another place on the button bars... Decreasing the itemization cost of hit/exp just doesn't work....

I'm on both sides of this one, I'm a swing tank/DPS for my guild. I know how frustrating it is to missing a few times on Ony tanking and watch DPS playing mindlessly just blow by. I also know how frustrating it is on Chi to have to hold back to make sure the tank has landed several hits before starting up the full rotation.

Ultimately though - I'm kinda growing fond of the current design of vengence. Stupid is punished, intelligence is rewarded.

DPS that doesn't watch omen gets eaten, DPS that does just has to wait a bit. It seems funny that with so many people asking for Blizzard to create a way to 'train' players in game, that when they do (Vengence means DPS watch your threat) everyone hates it.

I think Vengence is very clunky and not ideal - but it's becoming like that awkward friend in the group. Things are just a little more interesting when he's around...
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Maybe an easier method would be for dps to use misdirect abilities more often on pulls. I always start with it on my hunter n people never overagro the tank, switch to one of my tanks and have dps pull off me at the start of pulls occasionally. Think misdirects have just bin forgotten especial in pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by Selfia View Post
    Maybe an easier method would be for dps to use misdirect abilities more often on pulls. I always start with it on my hunter n people never overagro the tank, switch to one of my tanks and have dps pull off me at the start of pulls occasionally. Think misdirects have just bin forgotten especial in pickups.
    Of course not forgotten, but it's simply not available for everyone.

Thanks for picking my question Lore

Recently blizzard stated in "Ask the Devs 9: Tanking" that the paladin mastery is in need of a change due to it being cappable (causing scaling issues in upcoming tiers). I actually posted an idea on the official forums to integrate Holy Shield into the paladin mastery next to block (much like how mastery gives both block rating and critical block) which relies on connecting Shield of the Righteous, making hit and expertise directly influence the effectiveness of your mastery through Holy Shield uptime.

If you'd like to read more about it, here's a link to the thread:
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2222072408

PS.
    It's pronounced Mest Hope (Dutch for DungPile)
    Last edited by MestHoop; 06-11-2011 at 12:30 PM.

ur dog is awsum XD

+ Reply to Thread