+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Was having issues with our bear tank tonight...advice?

Right now it's 2 in P1, 0 in P2 and the rest in P3. I've tried talking to the raid leader and guildmaster, but it's no use they're not going to change anything. At this point I think it's just going to be wipefest after wipefest every week. Maybe if the dps was higher with 3 tanks, but yea.

You might be able to do it that way if you have 5 full time DPS. But that's pushing it. And your DPS have to be really good.

We're going to do it next week with the warrior kiting in Fury spec with def stance. That way once he stops kiting adds we have his 20k dps. And we'll get the priest to shackle one of them and throw out some earthbind totems as well.

Make sure he puts his fury equipment w/ and w/o sheild on his toolbar, so he can quickly change gear.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Yea, we got that all squared away for him for next week's raid.

As Katarn says 2:2:6 is the optimal way to do it. that said though we try to hold phase 1 & 2 longer so we're close to 70% by the beginning of P2 and 50% by the time phase 2 ends.

Phase one he have all dps on ony till the kiter has adds to kite, we shift 3 of the 4 remaining DPS to Nef once he lands, once the adds have tuckered themselves out the kiter joins on Nef, and one ranged may switch back to Ony if if she's not dying as fast enough, once nef hits 73% all DPS switch to Ony, or earlier if she isn't taking enough damage. You want her death to happen just before she explodes.

Phase 2 we have 1 ranged 1 healer on each of the 3 pillars with 1 melee of two of them and the two tanks on the other one. The ranged stat dPSing ony while the tanks and the Melee lay into the prototypes. if the Raid is topped off we push nef past 70%, if not the trange swap to the Prototype on thier pillar, as soon as the healers have stabilsed the raidthey switch back and push nef, repeat for 60%. the Ranged on the tank's pillar may need to break off from nef and nuke the prototype if P2 is going to time out, or if nef will hit 50% before the end of P2. Ideally the last prototype dies as Nef reaches around 52%.

Phase 3 we probably do badly. We have the Nef tank take him to the endge of the arena, we have all the DPS and his healer stac between nef and the wall, if the fire comes the nef tank simple back peddles round the arena to move the raid out of fire. The one healer should be able to handlethe 5 DPS, himself and the Nef tank, we use a Resto shaman for this becuase our Resto shaman called Dibs.

the Ony Tank meanwhile moves fast and trys to keep all the adds out of fire, as a prot warrior i find this pretty easy given the charges, intervenes and Heroic leaps, I've never managed to have all of them fall over at once but i generally manage to get each one to fall over at least once. I find a well timed stun just before an electrocute happens helps the healers immensly later in the fight once it becomes harder to reset the adds. Halting all incoming damage on you for a second or two really helps the healers keep you up. I do this with shockwave, i'd assume a glyphed Holy Wrath would also work, thought the adds have to be out of fire to be stunned. We generally pop Lust when Nef hits 25%, this has a couple of advantages, firstly the longer phase 3 goes on the harder the add tank is to keep up, having Lust later means that the healers can heal faster preventing add tank death, secondly, quite a few DPS classes gaina DPS boost once their target drops below a certain threshold having higher hast at this point is going buff raid DPS when it's at its highest. While your Fury warrior might not care that he's got 55% extra haste during his Execute phase, your Aff lock is going to be having kittens as Drain Soul starts ticking REALLY FAST.

With the p3 method of placing nef in the middle you can indefinitely reset adds until nef enrages.

Quote Originally Posted by Prexie View Post
    With the p3 method of placing nef in the middle you can indefinitely reset adds until nef enrages.
    While true, it also adds more moving parts. Which may or may not be ideal depending on you group.

I just got done doing a solid 10 hours on Nef. About 90% of the attempts we got him into P3 at 24% with 3 tanks. I think we came to the conclusion that we need 2 tanks only with a plate dps that can dish out a good 15k+++ to beat his soft enrage.

Our dps was 15.7k, 15.2k, 15k from the 3 hunters, 11.9k from a fire mage, 9.8k from a bear/cat, 7.6k from one tank, 7.4k from the other tank, with a disc priest smite healing for 3-4k. Managed to get the adds down 2 times and after that the flames came to fast to get em down anymore and we kept running out of space to kite adds in.

Jesus , thats commitment. I hope you're RL gets the message that 3 tanking it just isn't going to work. I wish i could offer you more help with sorting the adds in P1. It sounds like your just hitting the soft enrage.

Our Kiting Enh shammies has recently taken to putting out our raid up on youtube, and got last weeks nef kill on tape, maybe it will help your raid a little on p1. But yeah try not to pay too much attention to the bits where we screw up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgqUf...W8ZneA&index=3

Our group used a frost spec dk in blood presence for adds and with good cc from a frost mage and warlock worked well.

if your mage is decent you could have him go frost and kite adds in p1 with slows and rings and only use 2 tanks...
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

This was with my RL's other guild rather than my own. I just wanted him down so badly I spent all that time with em. Now we know for a fact we can't 3 tank it in our guild. I liked the raid comp of the other group better than ours to =/.

And our guild raid is slightly higher in dps than this one was. If we can get the plate dps kept alive for 50 seconds it's smooth sailing because he puts out 20-25k substained, our lock puts out around 18k-20k, our hunter (not the fillin hunter) does around 18k - 20k. Then whatever dps we have to fill in at the moment, plus tanks.

Just make sure your raid helps with kiting (Frost Traps/Novas, etc) and it'll be fine.

yea good discussion cause crackles suck FTW!

yea surv hunters and frost mages are necessity for this fight for freezes and slows, regardless if plate dps kites still need those freezes or it will be butt loads of unnecessary healing which can cause wipes easy since this is a very healing intensive fight.

Having tanked and healed it, I disagree. We have an Arms Warrior pick up the adds, drag them to Ony's side and use a Shield Wall macro for the last few seconds that the adds are alive. He much prefers it when there are no external slows on the adds because he finds it easier to control them when he's the only one doing so (with Piercing Howl). I don't find it at all difficult to heal through, and all the adds are down long before we get our first crackle.

I know we do this for heroic but I'm not sure if its possible in normal.

Have one tank grabs adds + ony. Blow BL and just hard burn into p2 as fast as possible. Using every tank CD and external keep him alive.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

Quote Originally Posted by Lumines View Post
    Having tanked and healed it, I disagree. We have an Arms Warrior pick up the adds, drag them to Ony's side and use a Shield Wall macro for the last few seconds that the adds are alive. He much prefers it when there are no external slows on the adds because he finds it easier to control them when he's the only one doing so (with Piercing Howl). I don't find it at all difficult to heal through, and all the adds are down long before we get our first crackle.

I've done it as Arms without piercing howl, with the only external help being a lifegrip, creative use of heroic leap and charging Nef from max range on CD will see you through. Once you've sussed out a strategy, its pretty easy, I've had frost DKs tank them with glyph of Dark succour, Holy pallies tank them with Righteous Fury, i wouldn't say Frost mages are a necessity as I don't think we've had a Frost mage or Survival unter available to us Since the first night we downed him

+ Reply to Thread