+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Prot Warrior

Prot Warrior

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...berrosa/simple

I have recently come back to wow and started off tanking for raids, some heroic bosses. My main problem I am facing is what to reforge and what gems are best to use. Any advice is greatly appreciated. My armory link is above. In the raids my biggest problem is taking large burst damage and still not living through it even with CDs.

I'm in a raid - but for starters, read the link in my sig for some tips and ideas - I'll look at your spec after the raid.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Loganisis View Post
    I'm in a raid - but for starters, read the link in my sig for some tips and ideas - I'll look at your spec after the raid.
    Bad raider... Focus on your raid :-p

lulls after wipes

---

Ber -- what's your rotation and are you having threat issues? I see a lot of threat stats...?
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

On single mob, i start with shield slam > revenge > rend > devastate. On aoe mobs i rend > thunderclap > cleave and tab target with devastate or shield slam. Threat doesn't seem to be much of an issue. Some of the really geared players in the raid can pull aggro sometimes, but I think its just when they get procs together.

If threat isn't an issue (and geared players can pull threat at any tank gear level early in the fight if they're not careful).

Gemming -

Mastery Centric:
    Yellow/Prismatic/DPS Socket bonus = 40 mastery
    Red = 20 parry/20 mastery
    Blue = 20 mastery / 30 stam

Stam centric
    Yellow = 20 mastery/30stam
    Red = 20 parry/30 stam
    Blue/Prismatic/DPS Socket Bonus = 60 stam

If you're going to be tanking Nef+ (nef or hard modes) you'll probably want to stay stam centric. If you're going to be tanking normals a lot more, then mastery. Once you get up to 200k health you can switch from stam gems to mastery because you ought to have enough HP.

Hit/Exp should never be gemmed for.

You're keeping Parry rating roughly about right about dodge rating to equalize the value of HtL and the diminishing value of HtL.

Armsman is a bad enchant, use the mastery enchant. 2% threat is really nothing.

Never reforge into hit/exp (so many pieces)

You've made the choice to gem for stam and reforge for threat - so you've sacrified a significant amount of survivablity.

As far as the burst damage - that is 100% on using CDs correctly - know when the damage is coming and use the tools you have. Which fights are you have trouble with burst damage?

FYI Rude interruption doesn't stack with Bastion of defence

Hard Mode Chimeran is the one I take a ton of damage, but I also know there is a ton of burst dmg in that fight. As far as reforging for exp, With my current setup I am only at 25 exp, is there an exp enchant i'm missing somewhere?

There is Greater Expertise for gloves, +50rating. But if you playing right you don't need expertise at all.

25 expertise is 25 too much... (well not really too much, but not needed).

You have 780 exp rating and 284 hit rating for 1064 threat stat rating. That's 6 mastery or 6% dodge/parry before diminishing returns.

That's a lot of mitigation/avoidance to be giving up. I know it's a little scary that DPS can pull threat - but the solution here has been the same one all expasnion. DPS needs to learn how Vengence works and realize they can't always hit buttons on the pull. I know big meters are sexy - but sometimes our tanks just have a bad miss/dodge/parry string and it's 10 seconds before I can begin going all out when I'm DPSing - DPS just needs to be smart and watch omen.

Going line-by line:

Helm - No mastery. Undo expertise reforge and reforge dodge into Mastery
    Neck, undo dodge into exp reforge (maybe look at switching it to parry)
    Shoulders, undo dodge into exp (probally move it into parry)
    Back - You have dodge into hit... bad - reforge into exp if you must, never reforge into hit - probably into parry
    Chest - undo expertise reforge
    Wrist - looks good
    Hands - undo hit reforge
    Belt undo exp reforge
    Legs - Again, no mastery. Reforge parry into mastery, not exp
    Boots - Undeo parry reforge
    Talonguard - good
    Permafrost ring - good i think (shows up wonky to me on the armory)
    Leaden Despair is not all that great - nice stam, but the proc is only so so, try to grab another stam trinket when you have a chance
    Mace = Good
    Shield = Undo hit reforge
    Gun = Reforge exp into parry

You're going to feel a little less potent at first until you adjust to it, with the big drop in expertise, but you'll be much more hearty stock. Make sure you prioritize SS, use CB as you can.

Are you the magma maggot kiter? That would be the only reason to have PH that I'm aware of (no other adds I'm aware of that need to be slowed for any particualr reason - and in some case, like Nef, slow adds might be bad). Because you're giving up 3/3 in WA and 3/3 in Deep wounds, which is by far the best talents for threat you can grab.

The big thing when it comes down to burst damage fights like Chi is knowing when to use a little CD and when to use your big one. That's actually the only fight I don't think I've tanked - (err.... Atramedes as well now that i think of it, I thought I had done them all...).

Chi reminds me a lot of Festergut. You have to trust your healers during the 'normal' parts, even if your health gets low, and be ready to use CDs when breaks/fueds occur.

However, you should also find that you take a fair bit less damage too after re-gemming and reforging because you'll have more avoided hits and more blocked hits, for smoother incoming damage, reducing the liklihood you'll take huge, unmitagated hits.

For heroic chimeron, you'll probably want to have 2 stam trinkets to survive the potential worst case, and it'll become easier when you can benefit from your 4pc set. Until you have that, you have to be very careful with the timing of your cooldowns and your healers will have to be tip top (or backing you with external cooldowns). Shield block (+ avoidance use trinket if you have one) to cover the beginning of the feud, shield wall to cover the latter part.

+ Reply to Thread