+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What DPS should certain ilvls be putting out?

What DPS should certain ilvls be putting out?

Ok. I am an Arms Warrior who raids. My ilvl is 355, and I am usually top of the dmg, and DPS meter for every boss my guild does. I have tried fury and put out about the same numbers with both fury and arms give or take a hundred or so here and there. My problem is that my guild is doing Cho'gal and I am topping the dmg, and DPS chart with 18-19k DPS. The thing is that I am hearing about fury warriors with 350 item levels pulling 24k. I have no idea what is going on with that, but it seems really odd to me, and it is certainly not a Fury vs. Arms debate. I have out DPS'd other warriors of both specs. My toon's name is Ommenn and I am on Uldaman. My GM isn't complaining. I mean I am top of the list, but could I be doing better? Lemme know what yall think. 355 ilvl warrior doing 18k vs. a 350 ilvl doing 24k. Also at what ilvl should certain classes be putting out over 20k DPS?

DPS numbers are dependant on a lot of things - most notably the fights themselves. Remember that some of the earlier fights like Magmaw and Halfus have +damage modifiers on them, so it's perfectly feasible for someone with worse gear to put out huge numbers on them.

Some fights are also well tuned to different specs and classes. I barely know anything about Arms and only have a slight idea about Fury, so I can't really relate it to your situation but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

There's also raid buffs/group comp, and a lot of other things that go into it. I would never draw a line in the sand and say "well X item level should be putting out X damage!"

Fury with ilvl 350 doing 24k on Cho'gal? Do they have logs proving this? Smells like BS to me (unless they've got some crappy rings and 372 weapons?

Sure, there are top WoL parses with warriors pushing 30k on 25m Cho'Gal normal, but you armory them and they are in decked out gear.

20k 355ilvl sounds right to me unless there's a way to cheese the fight (maybe he was one adds the entire time as Arms?). Try a sim sight to see what your theoretical max output is, and gun for that. I never take claims of supreme DPS seriously unless they provide logs.

If you want to provide links to logs of your fights, there are a lot of good DPS warriors around that can offer suggestions.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Another thing to be aware of is that in the LFG you can have up to a 15% buff which can give people an inflated sense of their own DPS, in a mix of 359/353 gear i can push 24k as arms on Halazzi, I only get to go arms on Atramedes and i push around 18k on a good night.

Fury with ilvl 350 doing 24k on Cho'gal? Do they have logs proving this? Smells like BS to me (unless they've got some crappy rings and 372 weapons?
    gear doesnt equal skill

Quote Originally Posted by PimpJuice4 View Post
    gear doesnt equal skill
    Pics, or it didn't happen!

Quote Originally Posted by PimpJuice4 View Post
    gear doesnt equal skill
    Um. Duh? But gear establishes the ceiling for production. If the top players in the world are struggling to pull 25k (top 200-300 pareses only out of how many hundreds of thousands of parses from multiple attempts) and then they are only pulling 25k in 359+ (mostly 372 gear)... tells you something...

So if someone claims to do, in 350 gear, what players in mostly 372 work to do... it's BS.

DPS = gear^player skill --- you can't have top production without both.

And check the WoL entries - top parses for fights like Cho'Gal. Then armory them - you'll see as I did, they're decked out in mostly 372s. If the top DPS in the world need 372 and only ~200-300 in 10n and 25n have pulled 25k - it's a pretty safe bet that 24k in 350 is NOT possible.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Hey Omen,
    i also heared of Ilvl 350 Fury Warriors who dealt 24k dps. But fur sure, they were in a 5m Heroic, had a 40s bossfight. With Bloodlust and every other buff. Does that mean, that they have a substained 24k? So dont listen to people, that compare 2 different things.
    For cho gall both specs doesnt bring anything special, that would make the fight much easier. And for normal mode 19k dps on cho gall is awesome! The only thing you could check, whether the raid has 5% crit buff.

Unless everyone is uploading parses from them hitting the boss training dummy in Stormwind/Orgrimmar you most likely can't compare it due to several problems (in no particular order):

a) fight lengths
    If a fight happens to be 5 minutes 20 seconds long, one guild's fury warrior might use recklessness twice and his lust/heroism uptime is 12.5%. Another guild needs 9 minutes for the kill, their fury can also use recklessness twice but his lust/heroism uptime is only 7.4%.
    b) (de-)buff coverage
    Missing 4% physical damage, 30% bleed damage or anything else can really hurt your dps.
    c) duty
    I know some guilds had their single melee on Cho'Gall for the entire fight while on most other guilds you'll at least assist on one of the following mechanics of that fight: adherents, worships, blobs, tentacles. Imagine you would not only had to assist on dps'ing the adherent but also kick (-10 rage and you'll need to pool enough rage) him and keep up sunder armor on Cho'gall by yourself (it'll most likely drop while you struggle with the adherent, that's another 3 "wasted" globals every time).

For Cho'Gall you could also use some mechanic advantages to further improve "the numbers" like getting glyphed hand of salvation and bombing the blobs (that's how some arms warriors and ass-rogues pushed their rankings) or even reach 100 blood rather quickly and a disc priest's shields and a shaman's spirit link totem having your back and getting battle ressed near the end. What about other class specific buffs? Dark Intent, Unholy Frenzy or Tricks can make a world of difference.

Edit: Just looked at that 25k dps fury on 10man Cho'Gall normal! He just killed him 3 days ago and did 99% of this damage to Cho'gall, interrupted zero times. And he already got 10* ilvl 372 pieces including his two weapons.
    Last edited by klausi; 06-09-2011 at 03:50 AM.

I do recall having logged my main pally healer pulling ~47k back in ICC, it was on Rotface. He critted with his first judgement and died 0.01 seconds into the fight.

You know... a bad Fury warrior could do only 24k against the last boss in TotT... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Tengenstein View Post
    I do recall having logged my main pally healer pulling ~47k back in ICC, it was on Rotface. He critted with his first judgement and died 0.01 seconds into the fight.
    Just how did you die that quickly on Rot? O_O lol

looks like you got cho'gall down, so grats for that
    but you ditched your arms spec, and you're in prot gear now, so i can't offer any specific suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen9988 View Post
    Ok. I am an Arms Warrior who raids. My ilvl is 355,
    Lemme know what yall think. 355 ilvl warrior doing 18k vs. a 350 ilvl doing 24k. Also at what ilvl should certain classes be putting out over 20k DPS?
    if you're looking for hard numbers, i also raid as arms and have a similar gear level (358) if you want to check my logs. i assume you're using magmaw's mace, which is what i have. 20k dps should be possible on most of the current encounters, barring long down time, or specific tasks you've been given that impact your dps.

unfortunately, i always tank cho'gall, so i can't give you any numbers for that fight to compare to. i range from about 18k on fights like conclave or atramedes to 24k for V&T. for this tier, i think the closest fight we have to a stand still & dps fight without modifiers is V&T.
    magmaw and halfus are higher of course, but they hardly count.

+ Reply to Thread