• Chinese Gold Farming
    • Rag Downed on the PTR
    • WTF Disco Lion??
    • And more!
    • Guest Host: Chris Hanel from the Daily Blink
    • Missing Host: Gary Gannon

Legendary on Gamebreaker.tv | Follow Gamebreaker on Twitter

Buff Warriors! Chris just gained huge props from me :P

Chinese gold farming, if the claims are true, being slave labor is a definate issue. A definate reason for any responsible guild master to G/kick...... Also an encouragement to overcome temptation for those that are tempted (aside from account hacking issues.....). * hours in a coal mine+ 12 hour farming rest? Punishment is definately there, but aside from sleep deprivation and a paddling if you do not perform it is not a seriously grotesque offense. I know I have done some marathon sessions of 12+ hours myself. Good points made on how truthful the report may be.........

Inventory Management has always been a part of the game. Those classes that have to carry an extra set for Offspec for raiding have always had issues. Given that keys are not such an issue anymore- the loss of the key chain is not a big deal. It would be nice if you could go thru the dailies without having to dump the bags constantly......... A steamer trunk for the tabards would be nice.

I would take Disco Lion over Sparkle Pony as a "utility mount" for the account any day.

Saronite Bombs and Druids- I am scared- I understood the referrals.

Mike B Is that a VCR??????? Is that how you watch reruns of the Golden Girls????

Its amazing how none of the three actually realized during the last 6 months that ranged have been heavily favored in raid content. Of course this is not as severe in 25-man raids as it is in 10-mans. But really, none of you could think about that?! :/

Gold farming isnt as bad as when Lore gets mad, man does he get all hulktified :/

Quote Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
    Its amazing how none of the three actually realized during the last 6 months that ranged have been heavily favored in raid content. Of course this is not as severe in 25-man raids as it is in 10-mans. But really, none of you could think about that?! :/
    It doesn't when you really think of it... I've run most of the fights in 10m normal, but now run most of them in 25m h unless otherwise stated... (I've at least attempted every fight on 10n, so I've seen them all for normal 10n as melee).

What I think is true is you CANNOT run some of these fights with 100% melee, however I think you can run nearly all the fights with 100% range as long as they're not 100% hunters. And at least 3 of your range are Ele shammys.

BoT:

Halifus: is slightly more range friendly since you'd not as close to other players to take splash damage - but it's really AoE friendly more than melee. Granted range tend to have better AoE, but that's more spec rather than melee/range.

Twin Dragons: Definately more melee friendly. You're already mostly grouped up, less far to run to do so. Less far for the breaths, both the ones from the sky and the ones V does on the ground. Again, more AoE splash damage, so having lots of melee can stress healers.

Ascendent Council: I've heard range bitch about this fight - not sure 100% why. Meleeing Terrestra in P2 just sucks. (no experience on heroic yet)

Cho'gal: More melee friendly. Everyone's group up, but melee basically get to stay on the boss. Range have to deal with the add and make sure the slimes die. (no experience on heroic yet)

BWD: Magmaw - players at range (healers and the unlucky range DPS) have a tougher job. But it's kinda 5.5 of one, a little over half a dozen of the other.

ODS: Range does have it easier - melee has to run from poison adds. Other than that... not too much difference. (no experience on heroic yet). And melee does have to move more to DPS between the two sides.

Chi: Is there a difference? As much of a tank and spank outside of BH as there is.

Mal: Melee is a little tougher on normal during blue phase, a decent bit more complex during black phase.

The Blind One: Range has more reaction time. But it's actually pretty easy (big pulse, little rings, rinse, repeat) once you get the hang of it (except he delays the big pulse sometimes so it comes out at the same time as the little rings).

Nef: No heroic attempts yet, but on Normal - is there a difference? Except maybe harder for hunters in P3 because they have to stand back a little more?

Conclave: It really isn't a big deal. It's all about coordination... unless you don't have enough range so you ahve melee on the air platform. (No heroic yet)

Al'Akir: P1, yes, it's easier for range. Slightly. They need to be back from him to avoid getting interrupted as much as melee needs to be next to him to be able to hit him. Range can spread out more, so more melee means bigger groups getting hit by his lightning, especially on 25m. But other than that - squall lines are compartively similar. No heroic attempts yet.

Maybe the problems are greater in 10m and it's been a while since I've run 10m. But the difference isn't all that much between range and melee.

Fights like Atramedes and H. Maloriak and ODS are more pushing on melee to learn, but once learned, there's not a big difference.

One more thing - it sounds like Lore is really the only one that raids out of that group - so not quite fair to lump all 3 of them together... at least the only one that runs more than casually.

So I think it's true that it's easier to run with all range than all melee - however I don't think this tier, as it stands right now, is all that much more punsihing than 10m.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

I agree with Loganisis with saying that Melee have not been snubbed. Many 10 man Guilds run with more melee than Casters. Rogues have a very high dps and survive most anything thrown at them in a raids along with the other melee classes. Ele shamans are lower on the dps scale than most any other caster in the game right now except for turret fights like Chim, BH, or Magmaw. they have no mobility really and why go Elemental for a Fight you could excel much farther going Enhance for? So i dont know where you get having 3 elemental shamans from. I feel range have it worse in this expansion because more abilities have been directed and Hot fixed to make them move more during a fight than any melee class has too. I also would like to point out that we Have an Enhance Shaman go with out Chogal Add tank for Kicks.

Range doesn't have it worse. Range that has to stand at range in Magmaw, the Twin Dragons and? Range doesn't have it any worse. And a small bit of movement in return for having more reaction time in other fights or the ablity to remove the need to move (like Maloriak) evens itself out.

Right now, I think Melee and Range have it about the same. There's one or 2 fights that are tougher on one than the other, but no more than that.
    An introduction into WarTanking (no longer updated as I've retired from WoW - the concepts will still be mostly accurate but the numbers no longer will be.) - http://www.tankspot.com/showthread.p...101-The-Primer

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    that'sssss a very nice creeper head you got their mike.

edit: so 120 slots isn't enough for people? 4x26 slots and base backpack.
    Last edited by Toushiro; 06-09-2011 at 08:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

Quote Originally Posted by Toushiro View Post
    that'sssss a very nice creeper head you got their mike.

edit: so 120 slots isn't enough for people? 4x26 slots and base backpack.
    have you seen how much pyrite I carry? I NEED MOAR

The point you are missing is the distinction between a fight being harder to play for a melee/ranged and a fight being harder if you have more melees/casters. I only care about the latter, because I expect everyone to do their jobs and play well.

There isnīt a single fight where having more/only ranged DPS makes the fight harder than having more/only Melee DPS, if they all play well. But there are many fights (basically every single one except maybe Nefarian and interrupts (which has been patched on a lot of fights)) that get significantly harder if you have a lot of melees (all of this regarding 10-man mostly and ofc hardmodes). If you take into consideration that fights with AoE requirements like Maloriak are even more ranged-oriented because a lot of melee DPS have/had bad AoE, its even more glaring. I am not saying the fights are impossible but they are significantly harder.

Halfus: spreading out is much harder for melee. But it is okay overall. Still a PITA with 4 or 5 Melees and much more relaxed with more ranged.
    V&T: no advantage for melees, but ranged can use the same positioning as melees and get a DPS buff and can DPS multiple targets.
    Council: ranged are heavily favored in all phases. Less movement, more DPS uptime, less "clumping".
    Cho'gall: ranged heavily favored, more DPS uptime, can AoE the all the adds better, because they donīt have to run around/away at any point.

Magmaw: there is no big difference in this fight except that the encounter mechanic requires people to stand outside. Since those players could also be the three healers (or two healers and the kiter). Basically a very fair fight, except that it is sometimes hard to attack from behind for some melees.
    ODS: extremely melee-unfriendly. Melee have a horrible DPS uptime compared to ranged in this fight and a are worse at killing the green blobs than ranged. I made the first kill on this fight with 4 melees and it was terrible to play.
    Chimaeron: no advantages/disavantages.
    Atramedes: a lot more ranged-friendly. Easier to avoide the breath, easier to DPS the adds, can DPS during the air-phase. Again, having the only ranged being followed first in the air phase while an abnoxious-add is on his back and you only have melees in the raid, is a terrible situation.
    Maloriak: ranged favored. More AoE (got fixed mostly), take less damage in the black phase because they donīt have to clump up. They also can spread out better in the last phase and donīt have a disadvantge attacking from the front during the red phase.
    Nefarian: No big differences. Having a couple of melees can be handy in P2 if you are unlucky with the cinders on your interrupters. But since nearly every non-melee class/spec can interrupt also (even with a longer CD), it is not game-breaking.

Conclave: No big differences. Ranged might have little advantages because it is easier for them on the frost and wind platform to DPS, even if tehre is "stuff" next to the boss.
    Al'akir: No big differences. A lot of movement is worse for ranged than for melees, but the latter sometimes lose DPS uptime because of movement. Doesnīt really matter all in all.

Again: running with 4-5 ranged/0-1 melee is significantl easier than running with 4-5 melees/0-1 ranged on basically every fight. And there is no fight that gets easier with more melees than ranged.

Toushiro is offline 私はあなたのことをいつも考えています。
    Quote Originally Posted by fony View Post
    have you seen how much pyrite I carry? I NEED MOAR
    pfft, I need more I can carry my 20 metas, 20 cogwheels, and my 100 some gems I AH per day.

Quote Originally Posted by Ciderhelm View Post
    I keep a few steel bars in my home.

Ya so...I would strongly recommend NOT having Lore comment on anything political, "really really".

+ Reply to Thread