Thread: Opening Rotation for Multiple Mob Aggro

Opening Rotation for Multiple Mob Aggro

I've been using this rotation as an opener for tanking in normal 5-man Cata dungeons and thought I'd share it with the tank community:

Heroic Throw [Target #2] -> Charge [Target #1] -> (the following on Target #1): Rend -> Inner Rage -> Cleave -> Thunder Clap -> Cleave -> Shockwave -> Cleave ....

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...talent/primary
    Last edited by Bumblebeard; 06-07-2011 at 04:17 AM.

Mine is pretty close to that

Heroic Throw + Charge (macro'd) --> Rend --> Thunder Clap -- > Shockwave --> (Demoralizing Shout*) --> Revenge + Cleave (macro'd)
    After this I just prioritize Shockwave > Thunder Clap > Revenge + Cleave.

*If the mobs are mostly melee, I will use Demoralizing Shout during the Shockwave stun

Its rough on the rage because of the cleave spam, but I haven't lost aggro yet.

I only been tanking for a while now as a warrior Prot, reading this make me ask myself, CHARGE? you can charge if your in Berserker or Battle stance, in defensive i dont see any charge.. does that mean, you are using Beserker stance, charge and switch to defensive stance and do your rotation? or am i missing something?

got it after a few try, if you got that talent point, it let you charge even in defensive stance..

yes charge plus it stuns more than one mob...its a must

PS to the OP i would TC straight after rend or your wasting uptime of rend on multiple mobs....do the cleave afterwards

is charge and intercept are the same effect or i should just use charge...

about macro i see 2 macro in that rotation, i wrote a few macro, can you post the script please,

The player you are asking that question to has not logged in since end of July so I don't know how likely you would be to get a response.

The first macro is a macro which combines Heroic Throw and Charge.
    Charge since it is not on the GCD can be executed at the same time as Heroic Throw. Since you are talking about a scenerio where multiple mobs are being tanked at once it is likely a macro to the effect of:

Code:
    /cast [@mouseover,harm,nodead] [] Heroic Throw
    /cast Charge
    Where the Heroic Throw is used on a target different than the Charge. Since you Charge one of the two targets and enter melee range with that target, you would likely have that be your current target so you don't need to retarget after charging. That means Heroic Throw likely uses a separate target such as mouseover. This is probably not the exact macro that individual is using, but it is likely something similar to this.

The second macro is to execute Cleave at the same time as Revenge. Cleave and Heroic Strike share a cooldown with each other but not with any other ability so they can be executed in combination with another ability (they aren't on the GCD). In this case the macro is likely something simpler.

Code:
    /cast Revenge
    /cast Cleave
    They simply bind the usage of Cleave to when they use Revenge. Again their macro may not have looked like this exactly, but it was probably something along these lines.

As for the actual usefulness of either of these macros I'll leave that up to you.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Thank you very much for your info.. the charge and heroic throw is very interesting, I target and throw and i select my second target and i was taunting, was not aware that i could charge in defensive, showing you how much i know.. I got a ilevel 364 tank and just starting ot tank lol Thanxs again for the info

Quote Originally Posted by Watchmann View Post
    was not aware that i could charge in defensive, showing you how much i know
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Warbringer_(talent) is what enables this. Like Quinafoi suggested, macroing Revenge and Cleave together is awesome. I have Inner Rage, Cleave, and Revenge together - I do ridiculous DPS on mobs because of it. It also helps to keep Rend ticking and using Thunderclap to spread it when it's about to run out. I've got those two macro'd together as well and use it when needed.

curious when you have more than one cast, does the macro do all 3 cast in one shot or you have to click 3 times

That depends on serveral variables, the first and foremost being the abilities in question. More than one ability can only be used at a time if there are no shared cooldowns between the two abilities. Because of shared cooldowns between abilities, such as the Global Cooldown, the vast majority of abilities can't be executed simultaneously. There are other variables in this as well such as when the button is pressed relative to the spell queueing window. For example if one ability in the macro is subject to the GCD while another is not and you are currently on the GCD, the ability which does not share this cooldown can fire immediately while the other would have to wait until the current GCD ends or the spell queueing window.

The macros written above would only require one click however under certain conditions may not perform both actions on the single click. For example, if Charge were on cooldown while you could still use Heroic Throw, Charge could not occur. They are written in a manner that they should only require one click in their normal operation. Whatever situation you are describing though I could not predict the behavior of without knowing the actual macro and even then without experimentation I may not be able to predict all possible scenerios.
    "In anything, if you want to go from just a beginner to a pro, you need a montage." /w TankSpot WTB Montage for Raiders.

Perhaps a better way to put that is...

You can't macro a delay. You can't press a button now and see it's result three seconds from now (intentionally, yeah, lag could cause this unintentionally).

very informative, i just made these 2 macro, me been a mouse click guy, i have to use the keyboard, bind the macro and press on it, i cant press with the mouse on the macro and point to my 2nd target, put if i select y first and point the mouse to the second, press the bindkey on the keyboard, it work good, that will save me some step of charging now.. again, thank you for all your info, i appreciate this greatly W.

multi-mob pulling even when theres a mage around, Avengers shield, drop consecration, holly shield, then hammer and judge all the way let them try and pull aggro from you then :P,