+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Questions for you hunters

Questions for you hunters

Since this is the only site my work hasnít blocked I wanted to post a question here for you hunter proís. I just hit level 85 and leveled as BM spec. So I am more comfortable as a BM hunter then SV or MM, but it appears that SV is a higher DPS spec for 5-mans and raids then BM so I figure I should spec over to SV.

Because I cannot see any other sites here and only have limited time at home I wanted to post what I ďthinkĒ I am supposed to do for a shot rotation and gear decisions, in hopes some of you can confirm or put me on the correct path to being a better hunter.

The shot rotation as I understand it is as follows:

Hunters Mark pre-pull > Black Arrow > Explosive Shot > Cobra Shot > Cobra Shot > Explosive Shot.

Reapplying Black Arrow when it fades, saving focus to always be able to Explosive Shot when the CD is up. Bleeding off excess focus with arcane shot or my pets kill command.

When lock and load procís I use the following rotation:

Explosive Shot > Cobra Shot > Cobra Shot > Explosive Shot

Once I have burned the lock and load proc at the 2nd explosive shot I would do another Explosive Shot to restart the cycle listed as the normal rotation.

As for stats my understanding is:
    Hit to 8% > Agility > Crit > Mastery = Haste

What you want for a rotation is Serpent Sting, Black Arrow, Exp Shot, Cobra Shot (spam CS until ES and/or BA comes up). You want your SS on the targer immediately so that it keeps refreshed with CS. When you proc a Lock and Load then ES, CS, ES, CS, ES; basically you want to get your full ticks on ES.

No Arcane Shot or Kill Commands - actually you can use Arcane Shot if you're moving and want to fire on the move but not switch to Aspect of the Fox. Basically, if AS, KC and Steady Shot fell off your bar you would not notice.

Haste and Crit are about equal, Mastery is basically meh. There are Haste plateaus you want to get to 3 CS between ES, the next plateau is 4 CS between ES and that's a steep number.

This is my hunter, he's spec'd Sur and BM. Actually, BM is not that bad these days, but Sur is a bit better.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rfrat/advanced

explosive shot > cobra shot (or arcane/kill command if close to focus cap) > explosive shot > cobra shot (or arcane/kill command if close to focus cap) for lock and load procs.

i pull with this rotation:

hunter's mark pre pull > serpent sting > black arrow > explosive shot > cobra shot x3 and then follow the priority of explosive shot > kill shot (sub 20%) > black arrow > cobra shot > arcane shot/kill command (during lust or if close to focus capping)
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Questions for you hunters

In a way, you are over-complicating it. In practice, it might be more complicated.

First, if you like BM, our top hunter is BM (my main is prot pally or I THINK I could take him on my SV hunter, lol). BM no longer has to hang it's head raiding. Personally, I like to play with all specs of my toons though so here goes:

Opening for me is hunters mark pre-pull, serpent sting (you forgot above but I hope was an oversight because it's important) explosive shot (first so the cd is back sooner), black arrow, rapid fire (on bosses).

After that, you always spam cobra shot (CS) which refreshes serpent sting. The only time you stop spamming cobra shot is when black arrow (BA) or explosive shot (ES) come off cd.

Lock and load should be ES, CS, ES, CS, ES.
    One CS is enough time for the ES ticks to tick all the way out. The last ES is because the cd on ES is guaranteed to be up by the end of the proc cycle. Also, you should gain a ton of focus during this. At first, just live with it. Once you get comfortable with it, try to not cap by using kill command in there. Don't use arcane shot ever. You don't want it consuming an LnL proc and you should not be capping out almost any other time.
    "he doens't need healing, he doesn't need healing, he doesn't nee-WHAOSHIT!wtf was that man!". Please stop leaning on TDR. -Teng

I was under the impression that MM was tops for pve at the moment. I agree with the above poster and if you like BM it's viable. Get your stable in order to have all the pets needed.

mm and surv are pretty even really. mm's dps pretty much comes from the first 20% of a fight and then dips to surv dmg for the rest of it.
    -Jimmy

|Ex Tank|

TWITCH.TV STREAM

Yes, i did omit the SS above, that was an oversight as I am aware that CS refreshes it and it should always be on the target. Sorry for the confusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bung View Post
    I was under the impression that MM was tops for pve at the moment. I agree with the above poster and if you like BM it's viable. Get your stable in order to have all the pets needed.
    Dunno what getting all the pets needed means really. I was kind of thinking the pet, as long as it was a DPS didn't really have a huge impact.

Different pets give different buffs e.g. serpent buffs spell damage for group/raid members; wolf gives a crit buff; wasp gives a bleed I believe; ravager gives a damage buff; in bm core hound gives hero, etc

Okay I wasn't sure what was meant exactly I was thinking it was something else. Yes, I have a few pets for buffs right now. Though I love to use Loque. I managed to tame 3 spirit beasts this weekend.

I use ChinaCat, my wolf ,almost exclusively. It was my first pet and has been with me through all the content I've done including one of my LK kills. I ain't in the raid to buff, I'm there to make things die quickly

That said, I did level 80-85 with my gorilla but that was so it could tank and I could level Survival.

Gratz on the spirit beasts, the only one I have is Ghostcrawler. I'll use it if I feel like playing BM. As was said above BM dps is not really bad these days, as long as your pet is alive; it's not like it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Theotherone View Post
    I use ChinaCat, my wolf ,almost exclusively. It was my first pet and has been with me through all the content I've done including one of my LK kills. I ain't in the raid to buff, I'm there to make things die quickly
    Things die quickly with the proper buffs/debuffs. L2classabilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Ion View Post
    Things die quickly with the proper buffs/debuffs. L2classabilities.
    Buffs? I don't need no stink'in buffs. Plus, I'll not make my pet sad by it being left in the stable; if people don't like crit, fock 'em.

http://raidcomp.mmo-champion.com/

Is handy for hunter.
    [Today 06:48 PM] Ion:swimming in a natural body of water ISN'T acceptable...it's momentarily tolerable

+ Reply to Thread