+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Profession help

Profession help

People have told me that Engineering is a good profession for rogues, and so is mining. Can anyone tell me why? What are other good professions for rogues?
    Also, what am i supposed to look for in armour and weapons for rogues?

Engineering offers some neat tools for PvP. For PvE you should choose between any of those professions: engineering, leatherworking, blacksmithing, jewelcrafting, alchemy or inscription - all offering the same bonus (+80 primary attribute).

Mining is bad for any non tanking class because it only provides a bonus to your health pool, it will not increase your damage.

Armour: anything with leather and agility on it.
    Weapons: anything with high weapon average damage and preferably additional agility, but focus on the weapons's dps. Eg: dagger with 20 dps and +3 agility is way worse then a dagger with 40 dps and +2 spirit You can use dagger, fists, single handed axes and swords.

wow, you've helped heaps! What can jewelcrafting help with? What other profession do i need for it?

Mining.. basically you got two options: mining like mad all by yourself and gather enough ore to push engineering, blacksmithing and/or jewelcrafting afterwards or get one gathering profession and a fitting crafting one. In that case i'd go with leatherworking and skinning, it provides at least 80 critical strike rating which is 100 times better then 120 stamina for any dps class.

The reason you've heard that mining is a good profession in addition to engi is probably because mining supports engi with materials. Engineering is quite an easy crafting profession to level and very much so coupled with mining.

If you can afford it at top, it's very powerful to pick jewelcrafting + engineering but you will need to gather materials to level one of them before unlearning mining, which does take some time and/or gold.

Quote Originally Posted by klausi View Post
    Mining.. basically you got two options: mining like mad all by yourself and gather enough ore to push engineering, blacksmithing and/or jewelcrafting afterwards or get one gathering profession and a fitting crafting one. In that case i'd go with leatherworking and skinning, it provides at least 80 critical strike rating which is 100 times better then 120 stamina for any dps class.
    Herbalism gives you a 500 haste rating/2 min CD use which is a lot better than passive 80 crit rating for most classes. can be used in conjunction with Alch or inscription for easily levelled profession bonuses.

The Elitist Jerks rogue forum has a very strong tradition of posting guides, I would suggest you go read up there: http://elitistjerks.com/f78/

I emphasize read, don't go asking questions like this one that are covered in their guides. Note that your chosen spec is a factor, as is the question of how seriously you are prepared to take things. Leatherworking and Skinning aren't optimal (LW is, skinning isn't since crit became less attractive) but they are a fairly simple practical combination and probably 'good enough' for most.

"Best" Professions are Blacksmithing, Jewelcrafting, Leatherworking, Inscription, and Enchanting to get the highest Agility bonus from a profession.

+ Reply to Thread