+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How would I go about looking a hardcore guild as a tank?

How would I go about looking a hardcore guild as a tank?

Don't get me wrong, I love my current guild, like the players in it, but I would really like to see heroic mode raiding this expansion (current guild only downed LK10 normal within 6 months of cata coming out, that's how casual they are). I just don't know if I'm doing it for the right reasons.

My only other toon is a enhance shammy @ ilvl 357, and that's in another decent guild that's 10/12 normal, just I'm not as comfortable with them as my tank's guild and it would be wrong if I just left after they pretty much took me from ilvl 350 to ilvl 357 wouldn't it? Not to mention, it's only the GM of that guild I really know and he knows my other toon as well.

What should I be looking for if I do decide to transfer my tank off and get into a heroic raiding guild? What should I do about leaving my current guild that I like everyone in, at least those who get in vent, which is the core team. I'm one of their main tanks. Tank is ilvl 359.

No advice?

How would I go about looking a hardcore guild as a tank?

As lore said in a PST a few episodes ago, if you are thinking of leaving, tell your guild now, not later and explain why.

Have a talk with GM. They will most likely understand, but I wouldn't up and leave till you found a HC guild that is willing to give you a shot.
    Need more rage. I can't do that yet. That spell's not ready. Not enough rage.
    Mäcintosh/US/Aggramar/Bloody Rage

I've had the same thing as you now. I've decided to go for a guild that did Hardmodes.

and I regret it alot. You should keep in mind that fun will be the most important thing. That's why you play wow ? it's a game, not work. So you should consider , what is more "fun" for you. Raiding with a casual guild you like the people in or progressing into hardmodes with a guild.

Keep that in mind, good luck with deciding.

I would ask yourself some questions before doing anything about this:

1. Can I commit the time to hardmode/multiple guilds? Progressing in hardmode content requires more time not only to raid but to do all those other things like collecting mats and making/buying buff stuff. Your repair bills also jump up a notch, (especially as a tank). You also say you have a shaman in a guild with decent progression, would you quit that guild as well if your tank went else where? If not then you might find your time stretched thin, also some hardcore guilds aren't keen on a player having geared toons in different guilds.

2. Whats more important to you, having fun or being best of the best? This might sound like an unfair question but in your case it's relevant. A few years ago I was in a great guild full of nice people who weren't great raiders. I left during the middle of BC and joined a more progressive guild, it worked out okay for me but I still miss those people to this day. If I was faced with that choice today I'd probably stay in the nice place as the community in WoW has gone downhill since, (especially with Cata in my opinion), and you chances of getting into a guild full of douches can be higher.

With that said I don't speak to any of those, 'nice', people anymore and their guild is still going. Even though I was, 'friends' with many of them, once I left I wasn't one of them anymore so that was that. Sometimes people are only friendly with you because your useful to them so in a sense you only feel, 'guilty', because they'd be lost without you. So leaving was right for me and our supposed friendship didn't amount to much. Only you know these people you play with so I can't tell you if what you feel is right but it's another way of looking at it.

3. How much research have you done into other guild needs and whats available to you? This can save you a ton of time and a little money as I learnt from experience. Back in Wrath I decided to transfer my lock to another server as I was accepted into an awesome sounding guild. The transfer took a week for varies reasons and despite me asking twice if I was still needed and them confirming I turned up and they'd recruiting two other warlocks within that week lol. It wasn't there fault, they were just doing what was best for their guild but I could have saved myself some money by just scanning their apps page during that week and seeing other accepted applications and making a more informed decision on whether it was worth my time or not. Are there any hard mode guilds that are looking tanks on your server? If not, then can you transfer off knowing that if it doesn't work out you might waste money? Also do you have the right experience for hardmode tanking/gear? Some guilds that are successful have high demands and expectations gear/knowledge, brush up if there's difficult questions on their application form.

Sorry for the long post and best of luck with whatever you decide

+ Reply to Thread