+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dk tank damage intake problems

Dk tank damage intake problems

So I have started tanking raids and have pretty good gear but I am taking way too much damage. Is there anything I can do to avoid this through stacking or some other method?

On what encounter and doing which job? Compared to an equally geared tank? Do you take into account that you heal back up for a decent amount via deathstrike right afterwards?

To reduce damage you can stack avoidance and migitation (mastery/armor).

On Maloriak with both roles and yes the other tank is equally geared. And yes I do my healers say that I take way too much damage still though.

I always put a shield tank on maloriak adds even if they are lesser geared than I. From my experience on that fight shield tanks seem to be able to mitigate a lot more.
    As far as your dmg intake while tanking mal, we'll need an armory link. The more info we have the more we can help.

No doubt shield tanks mitigate more against multiple targets. However in my expieirence Paladins have to work alot harder than Deathknights on the adds in that fight, additionally Deathknight can quite easily maintain both tanking debuffs on all the adds, Pallies can't.

Yes our other tank is a warrior and he usually haves adds down. And here's the armory link.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...erslain/simple

Several thangs you can do to help, and I hope you're not tanking with that fishing pole, the Kaluak Rep one is much better

Ok enough with the jokes. Assuming you are using the Shattering rune forge (which you should until your gear gets a little better), your Parry and dodge look pretty good, just make sure you are keeping your parry about 4% above your dodge. You need to find a better trinket than the Strength one, the Tol Barad MoBI one is very good, and even the Jewel Crafting one would work better I believe. If you are killing Magmaw it's only a matter of time before you get the Symbiotic Worm.

Gems and enchants look good, but you really need to get your Jewel Crafting up above 500 at least so you can take advantage of the Chimera's Eye's, which will give you a little more of whichever stat you choose. Kinda of a small thing, but swapping Mining for Leather Working or Engineering would help a little but that depends on how much min maxing you really want to do, and how much gold you can spend as well.

Personaly I would change some Glyphs as well, Prime should be Rune Strike and Heart Strike (Along with Death Coil for LB), you should not concern yourself with pooling runic power for Death Strike because you have Lich Bourne and should use DRW Glyph (Major) and use DRW a lot for the added 20% parry and threat. Of course Major's are made for swapping so use what you need there.

From there it comes down to technique, are you using your cool downs properly, and enough. Make sure to have Bone Shield up at all times and use Vampiric Blood as you see fit, it's much better to use it before you take damage. Use Ice Bound Fortitude for heavy damage burst, use it early in the fight and you will have it again towards the end. I use Earthen Armor pots as well, along with Mastery food, but you might choose Dodge food again until your gear gets a little better. Anit Magic Shell is very important for any type of magic damage you take, the cool down is short and it can be used often, the TB trinket comes in nice here when you get it and should be changed out often with Stamina trinkets for heavy melee damage fights.

I would like to see some logs or parses if you have some available, your gear and enchants are good enough for entry level raiding, but it's very important to be using all of your tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksend View Post
    Best bet also is find 2-3 healers you know to q with and tell them to forget everyone else and just keep you alive.

Yeah was doing some fishing earlier haha. Trinket wise I have the stonecore endboss stamina trinket. Should I use that instead of the Strengh and Mastery one? And what do you mean by logs or parses?
    Last edited by Silverflayer; 05-29-2011 at 12:52 PM.

If you are in a guild the are probably recording the fights on World of Logs, which is a way to review detailed information of your fights and find out what your are doing wrong. Chances are you are not using CD's correctly, or at the right times and its paramount to be doing so. It really makes the difference in a squishy tank and a solid tank, Death Strike plays a big role as well, timing them before and after big damage spikes. On another note, your healers should understand that the nature of the DK tank is going to be spiky by design, and it's not like healing other tanks that have a blocking mechanic.

www.worldoflogs.com

If not, you can record them yourself after downloading the client and it's free but it does take some computer usage. Go to WOL and create your own guild (it's not related to WoW guilds) and you can record the fights and review what you did or didnt do. You can read the help section on their website and it's easy to do, though I've never done it because my GM does, I know many people do.
    Best bet also is find 2-3 healers you know to q with and tell them to forget everyone else and just keep you alive.

What's the log directery when setting this up?

The short answer is yes, you should use the Stamina trinket. Tanking trinkets will have 2 important stats or equip on use dodge/parry, the one you have is a DPS trinket. I understand your reasoning behind it, but at this stage of your tanking you have plenty of Mastery and need all of the other stats you can get, dodge and parry are very important.

Okay any other things I should change about my rotation and such?

It would be better if you told us what you normaly do when you start a boss or trash pull, then it can be tweaked.

Here's my boss rotation pull
    Outbreak>DS>DS>NS>RS>RS>BB>HoW Rinse Repeat

Trash Group:
    IT>PS>Pestilence>BB>DnD>HS>DS
    Single Trash Mob:
    IT>PS>DS>RS>DS

Are you using Necrotic strike on a boss? It's for PvP. Use heart strikes to use up Blood runes, else you will not take advantage of blade barrier!
    And blood boil should not be used on single target unless you have the talents which gives free procs (didn't see it in your spec). Heart Strike hits a lot more for the same cost. So I'd say your opening is alright at start, but I'd change to

Outbreak>DS>DS>RS>HS>HS>RS>RS (HoW if all on CD) and then repeat.

I only use Necrotic Strike on bosses that cast things that need interrupting for the 30% increase in casting time. And thankyou I will try that out.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverflayer View Post
    I only use Necrotic Strike on bosses that cast things that need interrupting for the 30% increase in casting time. And thankyou I will try that out.
    The problem you can run into with using necrotic strike on Maloriak (the fight you've been mentioning) is that a tick of his remedy will pop your NS bubble, removing the NS debuff and requiring you to use it a lot more often. If you have a warlock, rogue or hunter have them take care of it.

Also, it can be beneficial to use a BB instead of a heart strike if A) Blade barrier is not up and B) Threat isn't an issue. BB will instantly use that blood rune, proccing barrier whereas a heart strike can miss and lower its uptime. It's a situational thing.

Optimizing your cooldowns is most important. I'm assuming you're talking normal mode so dark phase isn't a concern. Maloriak normal doesn't really hit very hard unless he has aberrations near him. Using your death strikes more intelligently (aka after incoming damage) instead of on cooldown will also improve your survivability.

Outside of general advice, we can't really help you unless you post a combat log.

+ Reply to Thread